Pet peeves

This is for anything that has nothing to do with my game, bored stop by and chat a while

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Pet peeves

Post by LaLou »

Someone asked on facebook about left hand tatters. I respondend because I'm left handed and a tatter.
Someone else posted:
Left handed tatters can be taught to tat the same as right handers. Both of your hands are learning new movements.
To which I responded:
Yes, left handed tatters can be taught the same as right handed tatters. But we shouldn't have to. I'm sorry, I know you mean no disrespect *name* but remarks like this make me feel not understood (to say it mildly). I'm a lefty, and proud of it. I've learned knitting and crocheting the right hand way (in school, by a nun), and it was always a struggle to me, untill I taught myself to do it left handed. Now I can crochet, knit and tat with both hands, but still prefer using my left hand. Please respect the fact that we use our left hand, the way you respect our hair color or our height.
Sorry about the rant, but this is one of my pet peeves.
I wanted to add so much more.
Saying things like this shows off your ignorance and your lack of empathy. You should try yourself to tat with the 'other' hand before making remarks like this. This so rubs me the wrong way.
Things like this make me so angry and bring me back to the time when I was a wee girl, just 7 years old, being smacked on my hand, or left hand tied on my back by an ignorant, intollerant, smurf jabberwocky of a teacher (nun).
I'm almost crying right now.

So, what are your pet peeves?
bella
the two timer

Re: Pet peeves

Post by bella »

That's terrible that they did this to you.

What annoys me is that they have a touchpad in the bank where you can sign, so you have a virtual signature. Fun to do with your left hand. I never learned knitting because everybody else in class was right handed.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

Left handed tatters can be taught to tat the same as right handers. Both of your hands are learning new movements.
While this is true, I don't think this person has ever tried learning anything new with their non-dominant hand, because yes, even if neither hand knows how to do it, it will still feel wrong to fo it with the other hand. And on top of that, if you are right handed or left, you are already more coordinated(usually) with that hand over the other, making it a much easier learning process
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I love you. You get it.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

First post asked our pet peeves as well, and since I'm about to go to work the only one I can think of is work related.

As a supervisor, I have a set of things I need to make sure get done, and i usually have the same amount of people every day, making it easy to do everything the same way every time.

I get that as a cashier, you can work a few days and think "okay, the last few times I asked, this is what he said" but it bugs me when they just assume that's what I'll say and go off of that, because often times, it results in them going off and doing something and me not knowing where the heck they went... Or they'll start doing something, but I'm running behind so I need them doing something else. But then since they started doing A, they argue and complain that they need to finish that before doing B, which is a more important thing to get done.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men