[Solved] Computer help?

When Chex breaks her computer
Beany
Demimod

[Solved] Computer help?

Post by Beany »

My laptop's being a pain today and something's clearly wrong, but I'm not sure what.

Websites keep crashing for no reason and Windows Media Player's suddenly stopped working (to be honest that could be the Windows update, except it was so sudden). I've also noticed something in the 'hardware and sound' section of the control panel called 'Button', which apparently starts PSUCmder.exe. This... doesn't look right. The icon description doesn't fit with the others and something in that section should have more information than that. Does anyone know what it is? Google failed me.

I deleted a file called install_clap earlier because that's apparently not good. I have no idea what it was doing, but it's been there a while.

Still exploring, so may add more to this if I find anything else weird.

I've scanned using Avast! and the ESET online scanner today, but they've found nothing.
Last edited by Beany on Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Computer help?

Post by chex »

I have no idea, but I didn't want to read and run. I hope you get it sorted soon!
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Cho wrote:I've also noticed something in the 'hardware and sound' section of the control panel called 'Button', which apparently starts PSUCmder.exe. This... doesn't look right. The icon description doesn't fit with the others and something in that section should have more information than that. Does anyone know what it is? Google failed me.
I just found a program called 'LIFEBOOK Application Panel' which came with the computer (I think), and it has the same logo. Hopefully it's to do with that.

Also, all my video and audio files now have a little cog on the bottom right corner. What does that mean?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

can you click the cog? I know that a cog is commonly used as a 'settings' icon
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Also, when your computer is thinking is generates much more heat. Just a reminder to keep it well ventilated.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I fixed it (I think).

Seven hours of virus checks and looking up every folder I didn't recognise the name of, and what fixes it?

smurf turning it off and on again. Thanks all for the advice though :) . And the cog turned out to be in place of the Windows Media Player logo.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I don't know how old your laptop is, but over the years a lot of dust can collect on the inside which can eventually even cause it to short circuit. If you are brave enough try to open it and CAREFULLY remove the dust.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

My hand cream got over-excited when I took the lid off and squirted a glob of cream on my laptop keyboard. It's gone down the side of some of the keys - is it likely to damage it?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

When it dries it might gunk up some of the keys,
--(I don't think hand cream would be conductive, but just in case..
Is make sure that the computer is off with the battery out so that it had no power at all until it dries (I'm assuming it would dry, right?), and then, most laptops that keys are pretty easy to pull off, to clean under them.
Use a toothpick or something to Scratch up the dried hand cream.
If you're worried about breaking the keys, that's fine, but I'd still use a toothpick to try to pick out what you can.

Once you are content with it, you should be good to start it back up
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Chex just replaced her screen, and I just replaced a keyboard. in the event that the hand cream is interfering with the keyboard function, you can get a new keyboard for about 5 Pounds, and we can talk you through the installation.

Also, Moe was right about most keys being able to "pop off." Hopefully you can avoid disaster there.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I got out what I could before it dried and the keys seem to be working no worse than the rest of the computer.

I know they don't cost too much to fix - I had to replace a few parts of my previous laptop and thanks to eBay and stealing someone else's screen (their laptop was beyond repair), the most expensive thing I ever had to replace was the power lead.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I didn't think it would cause a big problem, but thought I'd better check just in case.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

Laptop keyboards are pretty durable

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I have noticed since then that the volume up key doesn't always work. Chances are this is a coincidence, especially as the hand cream didn't get anywhere near the contact on that key, but is this likely to be solved by taking it out and cleaning it?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Yes. Keys that you commonly use get oxidized and lose conductivity. Pull the key and rub the black rubber bit with a rubber eraser. oh, if it has obvious dust, you can wipe it with a drop of alcohol.

~ Donnie Yen ~