[Help] Android

When Chex breaks her computer
Beany
Demimod

[Help] Android

Post by Beany »

The timing for making this section couldn't be better. I was going to pick your brains on what's up with my phone (yes, that counts).

It's an Android and it keeps saying that it can't download. I'm not trying to download anything and it's not doing updates (or trying to). Any ideas how to stop it doing this?

Also, first topic in the new section :P .
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Re: [Help] Android

Post by Moe »

Does it matter of you're connected to wifi or not? Or does it do it either or?

What version of Android? Which phone?

I know you said it isn't trying to update anything, but is everything up to date?

What web browser do you use on it?
I use the Firefox browser which has a download manager built in to it, and sometimes downloads will get stuck and not show up in the notification bar, maybe your browser has a download manager with a stuck download?
In the Firefox app you get to it by clicking the 3 dots in the upper right corner, then tools.I'm assuming other browsers would be similar.

**Note: I added the [Help] flag, because when this gets sorted out, I will change it to [Solved] or something to keep track of what topics still need help.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

It definitely does it when connected to Wifi, but it isn't doing it all the time, which means I can't easily test what the issue is. It's connected to Wifi at the moment and not doing it. I thought it was a new app at first, which I deleted, but then it started doing it when I had no apps running and was just on the menu.

It's a Samsung A3, on Lollipop.

I use Chrome, which I don't think has its own download manager. I used to get this message when my phone randomly lost signal and couldn't pick up texts (though that's my network provider's fault), but it seems to be doing it more often now.

All bar one app are up-to-date (and I'm just doing the last one now).
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

Okay, so I downloaded Chrome.
I went to it's help, and looked for a way to view previously downloaded items.

On your phones main screen, Click the icon that would show all your apps.
In there, there should be an icon labeled 'Downloads'
In there, if you have it, is there anything that isn't fully downloaded? (Does anything say Failed or Queued) If there is, can you delete it?

I'm just trying to think... If it's telling you that a download failed, that means that something on your phone, somewhere, is trying to download something..
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

There isn't an app for that on my phone, but I can access my download history through my files. Everything on that list is downloaded.

Just a thought... could it be to do with app data? Such as voice files and things that wouldn't appear on that list?

I also disabled several things a while ago because my phone was running slowly, but I've only noticed this problem recently.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

App data as in something that an App would save? Or something that an app would be trying to download to use?

I could see that, if an app is trying to download some data and is failing, it could cause that.

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Something an app would be trying to download (I know app data is the wrong term). I don't know how to find them though.

I haven't noticed the message yet today, so that's something.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

Well, aside from updates, an app shouldn't activate (to be able to download something)) unless you open it..

If it doesn't come back, then it could have just been an app update!

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Moe

Post by Moe »

Any news?

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I don't recall seeing it the past couple of days, but my phone wasn't connected to the internet for a lot of that.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Another Android question (I'm not making a new thread for this): I tried to put a little happy face in a text to make myself seem less bossy and it tried to convert the message to an MMS. It has never done that before. Is this some stupid new way of making more money?

EDIT: And now it allows it???
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I noticed this problem three times in a couple of minutes earlier. All on Wifi, data switched off. Opening Skype, opening email, and opening my texts (though when I opened my texts my phone had switched to no signal, if that makes a difference). Wifi was working, because messages and emails had actually downloaded.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

So it seems to mostly be happening on Wifi..

It could still be another app doing it, but phones, even when connected to a network don't always have it actively 'connected', so when you open an app that uses Internet, your phone is going "Oh! Internet! Try that download again!"

So I'm still wondering if it's another app trying to download something. Are there any apps that you haven't used in awhile that use Internet?

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

It does seem to be the Wifi. I had data on earlier and didn't notice it, but as soon as I was back on Wifi it started doing it again. I have a load of apps that came on the phone, though I use Google Play Music, which has updated recently... could that be it?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆