Cooling fan help

When Chex breaks her computer
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Cooling fan help

Post by chex »

Upon startup, my laptop now tells me that the cooling fan is no longer functioning. I have removed every screw visible on the bottom of my stupid laptop, and the bottom won't come off so I can check out this fan. If it's something like an abundance of dust, I'd like to be able to just handle it myself without having to purchase anything.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Re: Cooling fan help

Post by Moe »

After removing every screw visible, remove any removable panels (I'm assuming you did this) and see if there are any additional screws behind them.
Also,With the bottom screws removed, can you remove the keyboard? If it moves around, be very careful, as it is also attached via a ribbon cable.
Sometimes they hide additional screws under the keyboard.

If you are able (and willing) to remove the keyboard, pay close attention to what is connected to what!

What model is your laptop?
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
chex

Post by chex »

HP pavilion dv6
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

To take it apart you have to take off the bottom AND the top. That is what frustrated me and caused me to scrap the laptop that I recently fixed. All because of a fan.

Anyway, there is a "band aid" fix you can try. With the power off, get the extension tube from your vacuum and alternately suck the various vent openings. The high speed of the vacuum can make the fan spin and possibly shake loose any debris collected there. it may only work for a bit, but it is better than nothing? Maybe?
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

GreatZot wrote:To take it apart you have to take off the bottom AND the top. That is what frustrated me and caused me to scrap the laptop that I recently fixed. All because of a fan.

Anyway, there is a "band aid" fix you can try. With the power off, get the extension tube from your vacuum and alternately suck the various vent openings. The high speed of the vacuum can make the fan spin and possibly shake loose any debris collected there. it may only work for a bit, but it is better than nothing? Maybe?
Or you can duct tape the vacuum hose to the laptop and keep the vacuum on all the time to spin the fan and operate it that way.
Moe

Post by Moe »

If you do opt to take it apart, follow this guide from ifixit

They tell you precisely which screws / panels to remove to remove.

A lot of guides will specify that "This screw is this size", although this one does not seem to do that.

Before you do take it apart all the way, I would try Zot's vacuum idea first! (Well, I personally wouldn't but that's just because I like to take things apart)
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
chex

Post by chex »

The vacuum idea did not work, so I will try this guide as soon as I have time. Thanks!
Moe

Post by Moe »

Sometimes fans short out.
I don't really know if or where you could buy laptop fans though, never really had to do that.

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

External fans aren't too bad. They're a bit of a faff but they plug in via USB and they're not heavy. Not sure if your laptop would agree with that though if it's giving you a warning.

My guess for buying replacement fans for the laptop itself would be eBay.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

You might have to go with Clarence's idea and permanently attach a vacuum to it!

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

moe wrote:You might have to go with Clarence's idea and permanently attach a vacuum to it!
Get your duct tape out

chex

Post by chex »

My duct tape is patriotic! :D
chex

Post by chex »

Solved. By buying a new smurf laptop. Now I need to refind that driver for the touchpad scrolling.

Also, I still hate Windows10.
Moe

Post by Moe »

Awwe, I hate buying a new laptop, having to re set it up how I like it

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
chex

Post by chex »

Yeah, I to fix the scrolling direction, like I did before, and now the drivers won't take, so my mouse won't scroll at all. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be allowed to own a computer. I think I need to do a factory reset. Fortunately, I haven't done much with it yet.