Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: There is always a way

Post by chex »

Determination!
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Re: There is always a way

Post by Moe »

The port on the computer is a DB-25 (Parallel), and depending on if it's PP (Standard old Parallel Port) or EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port) varies between 18 Kilobytes / Second to 2 Megabytes / Second.

The first adapter, I honestly think is a redundant Parallel male to female.

The second adapter is a DB-25 to DE-9 (RS-232 / Serial)
Basically peaks around 115,200 bits per second or 14.4 Kilobytes / Second
Intended to run around 2.5 Kilobytes / Second

The third adapter is DE-9 to Mini-DIN-6 (PS/2). Presumably, running at 10 to 16KHz, (Meaning it cycles 10-16 times per second), with the 3 bits (1 stop, 1 start, 1 parity) per cycles, would be peaked around 48 Kilobytes / Second (Actually less, as each of these bits would not include new data, such as the parity bit, but I'm trying to give it a fighting chance)

The comes the Mini-DIN-6 to USB, which I would assume is would be USB 1.1, giving it a transfer rate of around 1.5 Megabytes / Second

So.

DB-25 --- 2 Megabytes / Second
DE-9 --- 14.4 Kilobytes / Second
Mini-DIN-6 ---45 Kilobytes / Second
USB 1.1 -- 1.5 Megabytes / Second

14.4KB/s...
My profile picture is 583 KB, that would take 40 seconds just to transfer that!
That drive that is attached is probably either a 4 GB or 8GB drive.
Assuming it's the smaller 4 GB one, it would take 3 and a half days to fill the drive up full!

Could you imagine, in our age of large file sizes, taking 3.5 days to transfer 4 GB of data from one local device to another!?

This is also assuming that you are using the best and fastest of each port revision, as well as assuming that the port protocols are able to properly communicate with each other!

Parallel to Serial? Sure

Serial to PS/2? I guess, however, this port is typically used for mice and keyboards, which don't typically use bits or bytes (They use Hertz), and these adapters don't translate that, they just connect the proper wire to the proper spot for the new port.. Just saying, using this port for data transmission isn't extremely plausible

PS/2 to USB? Sure, but then again, this is also the same as before, it's mainly used to connect a USB mouse/keyboard into a PS/2 port, it's sending information in a non-typical computer data format, I dare you to use one of these to plug a current day keyboard into one of these ports via this adapter! (Older keyboard that came out when PS/2 ports were standard sent information in the Hertz signal format, and when the transition happened, early keyboards supported both as a fallback format, and often came with the adapter for users that didn't have a usb port yet)

Basically, this wouldn't work mainly because of how the different ports work. Even if you were to want to translate USB directly into serial, a simple adapter would not work, most "adapters" between the two include a converter that converts the signal properly, if you are bypassing this through the PS/2 port, you are not getting that signal conversion.

Each of these ports were made for different uses, migrating from one to another may be fine, which is why you can find adapters for them, however, making this big of a change, even assuming each step was able to be converted, it would be so fragmented by the time it reached it's destination!
3.5 days for broken data!
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Re: [Satire] There is always a way

Post by Moe »

I would also like to point out that this conversion to USB to Parallel is not impossible, as older printers typically used the parallel port, and there are female Parallel to male USB adapter cables, however, this is the reverse of what the image is showing, as they are translating a male Parallel to female USB.
Since USB is newer and more versatile, it is more able to receive different signals than the older ports such as serial and parallel. When Parallel ports were developed, they didn't have know what they future held, therefore making it impossible to make their ports be able to receive then-non-existent protocols
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men