Headphone issue

When Chex breaks her computer
Beany
Demimod

Headphone issue

Post by Beany »

I bought a new pair of headphones because the sound went in one ear of my old ones. Same type because I liked the old pair, only difference is the colour, which was down to price. I just did a test on these ones and they're making a static noise whenever they're plugged in to either my phone or my laptop. On my phone it's only when playing music, whereas on my laptop it's constant.

Is this something I can fix, or is it a fault with the headphones?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Wesley
GOD

Re: Headphone issue

Post by Wesley »

If you look at the jack you will see three bands of metal, divided by a little ring of non-conductive material. One band is the right ear, the other, the left, and the third is the ground. Often itty bitty bits of debris can get into the jack and interfere with the low voltage signal. Sometimes with new headphones there is a bit of lube that was designed to prevent Oxidization which remains on the plug and can collect microscopic -- and conductive -- debris. Any of these scenarios may cause the static sound you hear.

One possible solution would be to use rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball to thoroughly clean the plug and then dry it thoroughly and try it. Another is to,"exercise the circuit." Quickly plug and unplug your headphones like a piston in a motor for a few seconds. Resist the urge to blow in the hole, as the moisture from your breath can encourage corrosion. (Although the saliva is a conductor and can often temporarily "fix" the problem.)
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

However, don't do what my brother did and use a lot of rubbing alcohol in the phone plug, as the rubbing alcohol can seep in and eat away at the screen.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

I only buy headphones like once every two years and listen to music every day at work
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

I regularly buy cheap headphones because I regularly lose them
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men