Girl sues parents over childhood photos posted on Facebook

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.

Side with

Girl
50%
Parents
50%

Total votes: 4

Clarence
Game Destroyer

Girl sues parents over childhood photos posted on Facebook

Post by Clarence »

An 18-year-old girl from Austria has started legal proceedings against her own parents over their posting of embarrassing photos of her childhood on Facebook which she claims have made her life miserable.
Read the rest of it here:

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/09/1 ... ok-photos/

discuss
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Re: Girl sues parents over childhood photos posted on Facebook

Post by Moe »

*edited due to insensitivity*
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

This had to happen some day.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I can't vote. I don't have enough information, I'd have to see the photo's first.
But honestly, if this girl is embarassed by normal babypictures she has serious issues.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

LaLou wrote:I can't vote. I don't have enough information, I'd have to see the photo's first.
But honestly, if this girl is embarassed by normal babypictures she has serious issues.
exactly
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

The internet is forever. I see parents posting pics of their toddlers smearing their own fecal matter around. If there are pics like this, or naked baby photos, I don't blame her in the least. She didn't consent for those to be made public.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

chex wrote:The internet is forever. I see parents posting pics of their toddlers smearing their own fecal matter around. If there are pics like this, or naked baby photos, I don't blame her in the least. She didn't consent for those to be made public.
I don't know if that's any different than overly happy parents who bombard people with many embarrassing photo albums of kids pics, I can't imagine suing someone over it

Or being embarrassed that you shazam! yourself as a baby

Now if I shazam! myself last week and my Mom was sharing the pics ... different story

I think baby pics are public domain after the babies in the pics are full grown
chex

Post by chex »

Naked pictures of young children should be public domain? Really?
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

chex wrote:Naked pictures of young children should be public domain? Really?
Ok no lol

Perverts etc

And for the record I didn't actually say that or mean the naked pics

I'm just saying this is a grown women suing her parents for baby pics

I still can't take her side and I was kind of going off on a misdirected tangent
chex

Post by chex »

She specified that there are diaper changing photos and toilet training photos.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

chex wrote:She specified that there are diaper changing photos and toilet training photos.
For me personally if that were me I couldn't see taking my Mom to court over it.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

It's one thing to post them when your child is still that age. It's another to post them when your child is older. The article (to my recollection) didn't state how old she was when they started being posted (though seeing as Facebook wasn't around when she was a baby it must have been when she was a bit older), but it did imply that when she asked her parents not to, they refused. Short of taking them to court, how else was she meant to make them stop? There's a difference between a dozen photos of a toddler fully-clothed, and taking private moments like nappy changing and potty training (and hundreds of photos) and displaying them to the world.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

An 18-year-old girl from Austria has started legal proceedings against her own parents over their posting of embarrassing photos of her childhood on Facebook which she claims have made her life miserable.
Made her life miserable how?

If by miserable, she means "I logged into Facebook and saw the pictures and it made me uncomfortable" that's kinda silly, however, if she means, her parents posted them and suddenly everyone is sharing it and harassing her over "hey that's you and your naked!", Then that would make more sense

Also, she's 18 now, and it says they've been posting them since 2009, that would make her 11 when they started posting them.
I would sorta agree that posting baby pictures of that sort would be a little weird once the child is that age.. until you remember that facebook opened to the normal user in 2006, and the parent age group generally joined a few years later, I think it would be safe to assume that her parents joined facebook in 2009. If most of the pictures were posted in 2009 when her father potentially joined, then that would be the closest you could get to "posting the memories as they happened" which would apparently be more acceptable.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

There was totally an episode of a TV show with this exact theme. Only the child in question was male, and the parent was female, and an artist. The show was The Good Wife, a night time lawyer romance whatever kind of show. Arguments for both sides were well made; as an artist, her children were her subjects and willing participants. As an adult, he wanted the pics taken down as they were affecting his ability to get work as an actor or something.

As far as the content of the pics... there is nothing perverted or sexual about diaper changing or potty training. However, it is very personal and private. More embarrassing than damaging. The lawsuit will probably go nowhere since privacy laws side with the legal guardian until the child turns 18.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

Diaper changing and potty training is something everybody went through. How can that be embarrasing? Unless she was 11 years old when that happened.
chex

Post by chex »

Why should anyone get to dictate how she feels about something? They are pictures of her. She should have the say in if they are made public. I think a lawsuit is extreme, but I also think that the parents are being dicks for insisting on keeping them up, knowing it bothers her. Sounds like her choice is to let the pictures stay against her wishes, or go through legal measures. She tried talking to her parents, and they wouldn't budge. Why is it so important to them to keep them up? They're OF HER!
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

This is one of those odd situations where everyone is a little bit right. If the pictures were in a family scrapbook rather than online, they would obviously belong to the parents. And yes, they would bring it out and share it whenever guests would come over, causing embarrassment for the girl if she still lived there.

The fact that they are online, where anyone can see them, well.... that does complicate things. I am sure the parents still think of it as a scrapbook, just digital. They don't really think of the fact that millions of people can and do look through the pictures. This is making something that is private into a public spectacle.

Is it lawsuit worthy? And will the girl win? I am afraid the answer to both is no, unless they do some very tricky tightrope walking around their version of the first amendment.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

All I'm saying is for me personally, if pictures of me like that were on my Mom's facebook I can't see it causing me the mental grief and turmoil this girl claims it caused, let alone to the point to sue over it.

That's why it's hard for me to take it seriously

:/
Moe

Post by Moe »

The other problem with this lawsuit lies more with our society.

She want she photos gone, she doesn't want everyone to see them.

To get rid of them, she fell to her last resort, a lawsuit.

Here's the problem with that, and like I said, this problem is societya fault, not hers.

This is a very obsurd case, a case that breaks new grounds with internet based laws no less.
Because it's a groundbreaking lawsuit, it's going to get picked up by the news.

Buy cause of the absurdity of the case, it's going to get picked up be even larger news networks.

Then everyone knows that there is a girl who has photos online of her that she doesn't want people to see.

People want what they can't have, even if they don't really want it.
Because of how people tend to work, there will now be people who have absolutely no connection to this girl (before the pictures were at least only shared with her family's facebook friends) trying to find these photos.

Because the original photos were shared with her father's 700 friends, at least one of them will post them, then someone from my prior sentence will find them, and they will share them as well.

As a result of her wanted these pictures gone, and going the lawsuit way, a tonne more people will now see these pictures.

Also, because this is now a lawsuit, I'm pretty sure those pictures would qualify as evidence, probably making it illegal in some weird way for her father to give in and say "fine I'll delete them" before the lawsuit concludes.

Tl:dr
Did these pictures actually cause her serious grief? Maybe but that's not our business.
Should these pictures be taken offline? Probably, if it's really causing her grief, her father should recognize this and take then down.
Was a lawsuit the best way to go? Probably not because now it's major news, rather than a family dispute.

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men