NSA, GCHQ and FRA, the surveillance over the world.

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
Donden
Artiste

NSA, GCHQ and FRA, the surveillance over the world.

Post by Donden »

Nowdays, USA can monitor most of the world through NSA, and Sweden's FRA monitors anything that is in Sweden or that passes through Sweden, don't know much more about UK's GCHQ than that they are working with signal intelligence, but the point is that these three work together, with NSA on the largest scale, to oversee almost everything.

They say that it is to stop terrorism, which I guess was the intention from the beginning. But at least Sweden have already proven during these 5 years of FRA that we can't handle something like this properly, the rules which was made to even get this through the parlament has been broken serval times, or not really broken them, but taken a path around the rules, to be able to do what the rules was supposed to stop, without breaking them.

What are your opinion on this? Do you feel comfortable knowing that everything you say, write or do over internet / phone can be recorded and monitored without problems?
*Some kind of signature*
SingerGirl1369
Posting Fiend

Re: NSA, GCHQ and FRA, the surveillance over the world.

Post by SingerGirl1369 »

I am mixed on this. Half of me doesn't give a crap, and then the other half hates everything NSA stands for. However, I think NSA is full of garbage. They claim to be recording phone calls and whatever else, and when I called them up asking them to get a previous recorded phone call for court (and some old emails), they were like, "We can't do that. After 3 months we delete old messages and phone calls to save the newer ones." I called BS, but yeah... I guess I find them useless... Who are they helping? nobody. Couldn't even find the Boston bombers before they bombed boston... what the hell are tax payers paying them for?
NOTICE: Thank you for noticing this new notice. Your noticing has been noted and will be reported to the authorities!
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with febreeze!
Donden
Artiste

Post by Donden »

FRA also got a time limit on how long they can store information and recordings, I think it was 6 or 12 months, but they moved that information over to another database making it legal to store the information for as long as they wanted it, since the law only said that they had a time limit on the FRA surveillance database, but it said nothing about moving the information to another FRA related database, which the law didn't apply to.
A really good example on how trustworthy they are. Like they even expected this to not be missused.
*Some kind of signature*
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

TBH certain agencies do surveil a lot more than they need to, but they're not really interested in hearing you talk about who you'd most like to screw, or what superpower you would have if you had one, or debates about what noise a smurf fox makes, but if they monitor a billion conversations and catch one that prevents some random civillians getting killed by a bunch of twats. I'll happily give up some of my privacy for that

Donden
Artiste

Post by Donden »

Yes, it is indeed for a good purpose, and it doesn't affect us that much, since they do not acually read everything everyone does.

But they can't handle it properly. They make it sound all good, and quiet down the missuse, until the inspection discovers it.

Like how they kept the data for way much longer than they were allowed to.
Like how the police in southern Sweden used this to keep specific survelliance over immigrants in some areas, to a degree which was against the law.
Like how they did store too much information about people, way more than they were allowed to.

Also, they keep pushing for more laws so that they can get more information easier.
Like how Säpo (it's like, the Swedish FBI or something) now want to have a automated system that gives them 100% access to telephone operators information, meaning all conversations and communication information, so that they don't need to go through with a request to the telephone operator to get the information.

Too much surveillance can be missused, it is being missused and it will be missused even more.

That is why I do not like it.
*Some kind of signature*