I'm going to Canada!

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
SingerGirl1369
Posting Fiend

Re: I'm going to Canada!

Post by SingerGirl1369 »

I can agree on the drug testing for higher up jobs. I dont want a stoner teaching my kids algebra or chemistry. I dont want a doctor giving me a surgery when the night before he just had a joint. No. Just no. If you stock shelves or do janitor stuff, then fine, keep your job... its not going to harm anybody. All of my friends who smoke weed just sit around and can't get anything done for hours on end. Then the next day they are too busy trying to fix cotton mouth and then get high again that night. If you're an addict, you won't be able to skip smoking the days you work. If you think you can, try with something else you're addicted with. If you smoke cigs and weed... when you go to work, dont go on a smoke break. Its almost impossible. Same with weed addiction. And dont forget the smell. I dont want to be smelling your weed while you wait me at a restaurant.

And alcohol addiction is just as bad. The smell, the effects it causes...

Also here in illinois you can get fired over anything. "Oh your hair is in a ponytail... I wanted it braided today... fired." (Happened to me at my lifeguard job)

And I also agree... if I get discriminated against with my tattoos and piercings then everybody should be equally treated as well. When I had my cashier job during high school, I had to cover all tattoos and take out all of my ear piercings... yet the slightly more attractive girl was able to keep all of her piercings and able to show off tattoos on her arms.
NOTICE: Thank you for noticing this new notice. Your noticing has been noted and will be reported to the authorities!
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with febreeze!
nich
I live here

Post by nich »

SingerGirl1369 wrote:Also here in illinois you can get fired over anything. "Oh your hair is in a ponytail... I wanted it braided today... fired." (Happened to me at my lifeguard job)
That cant be legal.
If you don't have the temperament to pursue your dreams then no one is going to do it for you.

nich
I live here

Post by nich »

SingerGirl1369 wrote:Also here in illinois you can get fired over anything. "Oh your hair is in a ponytail... I wanted it braided today... fired." (Happened to me at my lifeguard job)
That cant be legal.
If you don't have the temperament to pursue your dreams then no one is going to do it for you.

Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

It is often referred to as At Will Employment. Pennsylvania has the same thing. There are limits, such as anything discriminatory.

As far as a pot smoker teaching chemistry, I think that is the best idea ever. I mean, someone who is smart enough to understand all the science, and chooses to smoke pot once in a while, because he understands how it works in the body? Yes, do that. Also, drinking or smoking on your day off should be a-ok, as long as you are completely sober when you head back to work. As a professional driver, I cannot drive 24 hours after having consumed any alcohol. This does not mean anyone who had some champagne is breaking the law by driving; it is for liability reasons.

If more drugs were legalized, yet employers were still allowed to have guidelines and regulations, there would be no problems.It sure is complicated.

You know what is not complicated? Prostitution. World's oldest profession. Simple arrangement of supply and demand.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

reaper wrote:
That cant be legal.
Can people not contest against unfair dismissal? Having people fired is messy stuff. It has to be fair and shazam! or the company will be screwed over
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

But lawyers are expensive and many employees don't have the money to afford to fight it out with their employers.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

shazam! yeah, they're expensive! I'm paying my lawyer $325 a friggin' hour!
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

I dunno about lawyers, i just know that it's tricky just firing people (in the uk at least)
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
nich
I live here

Post by nich »

chex wrote:shazam! yeah, they're expensive! I'm paying my lawyer $325 a friggin' hour!
$325 every single hour? Or every hour that you're using him?

Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

sizz wrote:I dunno about lawyers, i just know that it's tricky just firing people (in the uk at least)
You still need lawyers to prove unfair dismissal in the UK. And if it's a shop job or something, particularly in a big chain, you basically have no chance.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Here in the 'States it varies. Some states have labor laws in place that require you to give two weeks notice before leaving a job, and your employer must do the same before firing you. Other states have complicated anti-everything laws that make it hard to get hired or fired at all. Other states, like Pennsylvania, have an "At Will" clause, which basically means they can fire you or you can quit at any time, for any reason, as long as it does not violate the laws of the land.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Donden
Artiste

Post by Donden »

sizz wrote:I dunno about lawyers, i just know that it's tricky just firing people (in the uk at least)
Same in Sweden, it's really hard to fire someone.
If you have to fire people because of lack of work and income, you have to fire the newest hired people.

If you want to fire someone because they simply are an idiot who can't make enough money to the company so that they can pay his salary, then you have to give them 2-3 warnings on paper, with a certain time between, and you need co-workers to be able to sign it and act as a witness that he doesn't do his job, after 2-3 warnings you need a meeting with the trade-union for that line of work and the emplyee and exaplain to the trade-union why this person should be fired.

So, it's shazam! loads of work to get rid of someone, so companys are really careful with hiring people. No wonder we got such lack of jobs in Sweden. And people would work properly if they could be kicked easier
*Some kind of signature*
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Dond, you just touched on the main reason I am against unions.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Donden
Artiste

Post by Donden »

GreatZot wrote:Dond, you just touched on the main reason I am against unions.
Did you know unions originally were started by the mafia?

And people today have them for the exact same reason, there is someone earning shazam! loads of money on this.

Also, something that greatly disturbs me, is that the trade-union for electricians is donating a sum of the money to a political party, that I hate.
*Some kind of signature*
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Unions also fight for minimum wages, equal wages for equal work, labour contracts and security at the work place. Sometimes it should be easier to fire someone, I agree. But unions have achieved a lot for workers, too.
Donden
Artiste

Post by Donden »

Yes, they may have done quite much a long time ago, especially the security at the work place part, but you loose faith in them seeing what they are doing now, at least for the electricians in Sweden.

Like how the increse in minimum wages is lower than the economical increse in the country, which means we are losing on it.
We lost a few "red-days" not to long ago. (days off-duty)
They have made it so hard to kick people that people are just sitting on their asses and doesn't care about their job, since they will get to keep it anyway.
They have not given equal wages for equal work, that is up to the company instead, but the union seems to want equal wages for all, meaning the employee that doesn't work properly gets the same wages as the one who is dedicated to their work, that's whats about to happen in the company i'm working in.

And, the union asks for 100$ a month to be a member, meaning those who wants help from the union needs to pay that much.

I have a hard time supporting this, at least how it is here. It may be better in other countries, but in Sweden, it is shazam!.
*Some kind of signature*
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

100 $ per month? This is just ridiculous. What are they doing with all the money besides sponsoring politicians??
Donden
Artiste

Post by Donden »

Pay people to go around at construction sites and schools and talk about the trade-union, like a religion.

I'm not sure acually what more they do, it's hard to get a proper answer out of them. They just say that they help people when they have problems with the company etc, but it isn't so many companys that refuses to pay salarys etc so that the union needs to step in.
*Some kind of signature*
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

For jobs like teaching in the UK, it's compulsory to be in a union. Basically if you have any grievances with unfair dismissal or something, having a union does help with that. The unions arrange strikes to do with pay, and it's up to the individuals whether or not they want to join them. Often they can't, as they can't afford to give up a day's wages in order to strike.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
SingerGirl1369
Posting Fiend

Post by SingerGirl1369 »

Well reaper it is legal here in Illinois. I also did try and fight it but because my employer did nothing wrong, I didnt have a case.

Chez, where are you finding those cheap bottom lawyers? The one in wisconsin I had was 785 an hour. The one I have here in rockford is 2000 a week.
NOTICE: Thank you for noticing this new notice. Your noticing has been noted and will be reported to the authorities!
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with febreeze!