I'm going to Canada!

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
Wesley
GOD

I'm going to Canada!

Post by Wesley »

it seems that a couple of tricky prohibitions to the act of prostitution have been overturned in the Great White North.

I, for one, think prostitution should be legal. Same with drugs, but that is another topic. As far as "The oldest Profession" goes, if it is legal, you can regulate it and tax it, and people can do what they want without being sneaky.

I think this is a good thing.

Rebuttal?
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: I'm going to Canada!

Post by chex »

Prostitution should be legal. Marijuana should be legal. As for harder drugs, I'm unsure. I haven't thought about it much. I'm inclined to say they should be legal, but I would need to research shazam! or something.
nich
I live here

Post by nich »

Fun fact. Marijuana can cure cancer. Or at least thats what I read once.

My dad said he doesnt mind if I do weed. As long as I use it responsibly and be honost with him about it.

Oh and I think you`ll love it here in Canada Zot.
If you don't have the temperament to pursue your dreams then no one is going to do it for you.

LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

Prostitution being illegal is so mediaeval. So yes, it should be legalized.
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

I used to know loads of weird facts about prostitution because we studied it in sociology at school.. the legal situation on it in the uk is confusing and i can't remember it really- something about how being a prostitute is legal but going to a prostitute isn't? It was something contradictory like that.

I think as a profession or service or whatever, yeah make it completely legal. There are so many issues with the whole tickle fight-trafficking thing, forcing young girls into prostitution, even in developed countries, and having prostitution made legal, and therefore regulated, would really help control this more, I think. I can understand why it is illegal, especially in countries where their culture is far more traditional, but it is these countries (massive generalisation here, sorry) that not only does loads of fair prostitution occur, but also loads of unacceptable shazam! where women get forced to be prostitutes... it should be legal so you can control it more easily, keep it fair and safe. In my opinion.

And like prostitution, if weed was legal too (like it is in LaLou land :P), it could be regulated. no shazam! mixed into it, no going to dealers who can start you off on weed and get you onto scarier stuff... harder drugs, I think should stay illegal.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

Weed is not legal in The Netherlands. It's tolerated, but still illegal.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

It can't cure cancer, all it possibly can is to alleviate pain.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I think in the UK prostitution is legal but brothels aren't, or something along those lines. Anyhoo, I think it should be legal. It's not going to cause a massive spike in prostitutes (take that whichever way you like), but it'll make it safer for prostitutes. If they have proper working conditions, they won't be faced with such discrimination, abuse and poor working conditions. A set of regulations surrounding the job can be put in place. It would really help.

Same thing with drugs actually (more or less). I did some research into it a while ago, and it would mean that the drugs were quality checked before being sold, rather than these ones mixed with all sorts of crap. It would also mean that people would come forward for drug-related treatment more willingly if they needed it. Alcohol's more damaging than quite a few drugs, yet that's not illegal or even rationed.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
SingerGirl1369
Posting Fiend

Post by SingerGirl1369 »

If weed were legal and then taxed... with all the people who buy it... our national debt would literally disappear. However, if it is legal, I think jobs should still drug test people and those doing it won't get jobs... that way those who want a job to pay bills and not drugs will get one. The pot smokers and work at the pot smoking stores selling it.
NOTICE: Thank you for noticing this new notice. Your noticing has been noted and will be reported to the authorities!
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with febreeze!
chex

Post by chex »

So... you think that employers should be allowed to discriminate based on perfectly legal activities that prospective employees choose to partake in on their time off? If pot is legal, it should be treated as any other legal drug. If you smoke pot on your off time? Cool. If you drink on your off time? Cool. If you come into work stoned or drunk, then yeah, you get fired.
nich
I live here

Post by nich »

I'm with Chex here. If its legal, does no harm, and the employee knows when it's appropriate to drink or smoke then there should be no issue. An employer can't reject/fire me for drinking. I think that would even been illegal. If they found evidence of me drinking while driving well that a different story.
If you don't have the temperament to pursue your dreams then no one is going to do it for you.

LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

But they could legaly fire you for drinking on the job, couldn't they?
nich
I live here

Post by nich »

On the job yes. Like I said there's a time and place to drink/smoke. Singer Girl is suggesting that they should be fired or rejected employment regardless if they're acting responsibly. That I disagree with.

If an employer found out I used legal drugs and/or drank at a party on my free time and they fired me because of that then that would be illegal as it violates my rights.

bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

It depends on the job, how much you drink or smoke and when. You wouldn't want a school bus driver to have a hangover when driving your kids. Where is the line between responsible drinking and alcohol abuse?
If a job requires drug testing it's for a reason.
chex

Post by chex »

Walmart requires drug testing...

But weed will show up in your system long after any effects have worn off.
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

chex wrote:Walmart requires drug testing...

But weed will show up in your system long after any effects have worn off.
Drug testing for a supermarket job does seem a little invasive on the privacy, because it's a personal choice, also they're obviously gonna choose non-drug-users over drug users so it seems pretty discriminative..

but then there's stigma against drugs, it's like, they can test against them, so why not? but what annoys me is that technically all they're interested in is money (fair enough, they're a business, that's the way things are) so if you've got a model employee who does drugs on weekends then not hiring them is surely discriminating against users?

You could of course argue that they don't want employees who break the law by using illegal drugs but when supermarkets hire sixteen year olds, they don't ask them if they drink underage do they?
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

The tests for marijuana have become more sensitive. They look for active and passive enzymes to see whether you are "high" at the time of the test, or if you smoked a few days ago.

A friend of mine got a DUI because there were traces of THC in his drug test, even though it had been a week since he smoked. In his case it is about money, not safety. More sensitive tests cost more to the city and state, while if you have a zero tolerance policy using outdated methods, you can collect much more in fines and fees.

I'm glad there is no such test as to whether or not you have been to visit a prostitute.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex

Post by chex »

Why, did you finally get laid?
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

chex wrote:So... you think that employers should be allowed to discriminate based on perfectly legal activities that prospective employees choose to partake in on their time off?
Whether they should or not, they probably would. Many jobs discriminate against tattoos and piercings, and it's not like they're going to affect their work. Another thing that some places still discriminate against is orientation. I read about a headteacher who got suspended because he was gay (his students then arranged a sit-in in protest of this). If people feel they can discriminate against legal things that have no effect on them already, what hope is there for anything else?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

Drugs and alcohol can still have an effect on the brain some time after using it. When someone works at a cash register I can imagine why supermarkets don't want someone who used drugs. If a mistake is made it can be costly. Not to mention the risk of theft. (I know I'm generalizing here, all drug users are addict and all addicts are thieves. I also know that in real life this is not true.)

Is it discrimination if every employer is treated equal?
In a supermarket where I once worked a boy was told that his brightly red coloured hair had to go.
The same time a girl was allowed to have painfully pink hair (I liked his better than hers BTW). Just because it was a boy he could not dye his hair? The customer were all very positive about it. I never heard one negative remark about his red hair.
I don't mind policy against bright coloured hair, tattoos, drugs or whatnot, but there has to be equality. If a rule applies for one person, it applies for every person. If I have to cover my tattoo, then so does the person who is not working with customers. (And that happened to me too.)