Does everything happen for a reason?

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
Beany
Demimod

Does everything happen for a reason?

Post by Beany »

This is something that's been niggling me recently and it'd be nice to see your opinions on it. I used to think that it didn't, but what with everything that's happened recently I'm beginning to open my mind to the idea that it could.

Thoughts?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Re: Does everything happen for a reason?

Post by sizz »

Personally I am certain that they don't, it's illogical to me…

Having said this, it definitely sometimes feels like things happen for reasons, which is a strange feeling, but I tell myself it's just chance/coincidence :lol:
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

Pretty much what sizz said. I've had so many coincidences that make it seem that way, but nope. Don't believe it.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Have you heard of Mutiverse theory? It is used in both physics and philosophy.

Infinity is big. Imagine it. Nope, bigger than that! Infinitely bigger than what you just imagined! :)

I know it gets silly, but that is how it works. So, let's continue: every time you make a decision, both outcomes happen. The Universe splits into the one where you choose Pepsi and the one where you choose Coke. Your consciousness (now, there are infinite You, so the one you associate with yourself, the one you are riding in.) only experiences the Universe where you chose Coke. After a lifetime of these decisions, looking back it can seem like the decisions were made for you, or set up for you. Like a magician offering you a choice, but making sure you pick the trey of hearts. You think you chose freely, but the choice was made for you. "Is your card the trey of Hearts?" Yes! Amazing! How did.....

Ever have a strong Deja-Vu experience? One theory is that some of our universes line up for a bit, just out of sync. So you feel/see/know something happened, but it already happened, but it has not happened yet in your particular slice of the Universe. Then when it does, wow! I've been here/done this before!

This is fun stuff to think about! :)

Oh, a mild explanation: When you are dealing with infinity and probability, the numbers are always infinity or zero. What is infinity divided by 100? Infinity. What is 100 divided by infinity? The fraction is so small it works out to zero. So with statistics and probability, what are the chances that with infinite time something will occur? You guessed it. 100%

When my religious friends try to use Science to prove religion, they will often ask,"How can these variables have happened by chance? The amount of Oxygen, Gravity, etc. Far too complicated to be a coincidence." They are not happy when I explain that there is a 100% chance of this exact Universe spontaneously appearing.

I don't know if this giant can of theoretical and philosophical worms is what you were looking for, but I am glad you asked. I'll gladly continue this discussion with anyone who wants to! :)
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Okay, I'm going to give you the situation. Uni. Last year I went through a shitton of crap just to get my application in and it would have been very easy to give up. But I didn't and I went to uni, then hated it and left. Now, in order to reapply I need (amongst other things) new work experience. The first one was cancelled after a couple of days and the second placement got cancelled yesterday before it started. Ignoring the fact that I'm running out of time to reapply, does this not seem like a possible warning that it's not for me?

I know it sounds like crap. I don't believe it can be - it just seems a lot like it. It could be that I don't want to do it anymore and am looking for signs to support that.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

You are touching on something there. The mind sees what it wants to see.

What do you want to do? What do you need to do? These two are often at odds. If you can find a balance, it will become easier and you will be more fulfilled.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I think it probably was just me looking for a justification for doing what I want to do, but then again I could argue that I thought I wanted to do that uni course until recently, in which case that wouldn't have affected it. I think it's a coincidence that the application process has caused so many problems for me, but it's interesting to think about it both ways.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Amlak
*must post more*

Post by Amlak »

GreatZot wrote:Have you heard of Mutiverse theory? It is used in both physics and philosophy.

Infinity is big. Imagine it. Nope, bigger than that! Infinitely bigger than what you just imagined! :)

I know it gets silly, but that is how it works. So, let's continue: every time you make a decision, both outcomes happen. The Universe splits into the one where you choose Pepsi and the one where you choose Coke. Your consciousness (now, there are infinite You, so the one you associate with yourself, the one you are riding in.) only experiences the Universe where you chose Coke. After a lifetime of these decisions, looking back it can seem like the decisions were made for you, or set up for you. Like a magician offering you a choice, but making sure you pick the trey of hearts. You think you chose freely, but the choice was made for you. "Is your card the trey of Hearts?" Yes! Amazing! How did.....

Ever have a strong Deja-Vu experience? One theory is that some of our universes line up for a bit, just out of sync. So you feel/see/know something happened, but it already happened, but it has not happened yet in your particular slice of the Universe. Then when it does, wow! I've been here/done this before!

This is fun stuff to think about! :)

Oh, a mild explanation: When you are dealing with infinity and probability, the numbers are always infinity or zero. What is infinity divided by 100? Infinity. What is 100 divided by infinity? The fraction is so small it works out to zero. So with statistics and probability, what are the chances that with infinite time something will occur? You guessed it. 100%

When my religious friends try to use Science to prove religion, they will often ask,"How can these variables have happened by chance? The amount of Oxygen, Gravity, etc. Far too complicated to be a coincidence." They are not happy when I explain that there is a 100% chance of this exact Universe spontaneously appearing.

I don't know if this giant can of theoretical and philosophical worms is what you were looking for, but I am glad you asked. I'll gladly continue this discussion with anyone who wants to! :)
Hi, Zot. I've heard of such a theory and it sounds a bit too out there for me. I do, however, accept the existence of a multiverse as sound, just not the one you're describing. My idea of the multiverse is one where infinite universes spring forth from "somewhere", each with its own separate energy yielding entities that may be completely foreign to not just our observations and experiences but our imagination.

I know a lot of really smart people accept the one you describe, but why? I don't know. I'll be honest. I hope it's not true. Just the thought of a child molester or serial rapist version of me out there disturbs me deeply.
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

If you flip a coin, whether it ends up heads or tails depends on which way up it was to begin with, how hard you flick it, and how long it's in the air before you catch it (or it lands) Since most people can't accurately judge and control that, the outcome is considered to be pure chance, and will even base decisions on it, because "fate". The exact same applies to rolling dice, the lotto numbers that come out of the machine etc etc. Scale that up and it can apply to anything. Everything that happens happens because of the factors that lead to it happening, some of which we can predict and control, others we can't

Fate, Chance, Luck etc are all words made up to describe things we can't actively control, they are however controlled and determined by preceeding events that enabled whatever the heck they were

Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Tails never fails buddy