Vaccinations

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Vaccinations

Post by chex »

See the measles outbreaks? This is what happens when people choose not to vaccinate for asinine reasons like "natural immunity is better" or "chemicals give you autism, yo." (smurf you. Even if that were true, my kid is not better off dead of measles.) Vaccinate your kids, people.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Re: Vaccinations

Post by Moe »

Is the flu shot considered a vaccine?
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

The flu is not a specific communicable disease which can grow into a pandemic when unchecked. Flu shots are not the type of thing we are talking about here.

More like rubella, whooping cough, polio, small pox, measles.

If I don't get a flu shot, I don't put your kid in mortal danger by being a carrier.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

Unless my kid's immune system is compromised already, buy chemo or something.
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

This whole anti-vaccine thing is ridiculous, its so important to be vaccinated as a child!
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

There's a reason vaccines are developed. They wouldn't be in regular use if they were more harmful than the illness they're meant to prevent. They're even making nasal spray vaccines (at least for flu) for children so they don't have to be scared of needles (though to be honest kids need to get used to needles so they're not so scary later in life).

That said, this year's flu vaccine was crap. They reckon it worked on around 3% of cases instead of the standard 60%. I see that people could think this could happen with other vaccines too.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

All of you are making wonderful and perfectly valid points!

The thing is, people who don't understand and/or fear Science will listen to the weirdos and naysayers about things like thimerosal and the mercury that is in some vaccines. It is like saying that gas is used in fires and fires hurt people, so putting gas in your car is bad. Then people make a decision that reinforces the feel good emotions of, "doing the right thing," without realizing that they are actually doing the wrong thing.

An odd (or not so odd) coincidence is that one of my friends who is an anti-vaxxer is also a young earth creationist and a moon landing denier.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

I don't know which vaccines I've gotten specifically, but I know that I've gotten them.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I am so glad I don't have children right now because the measles outbreak is extremely scary and I feel soooooo bad for those who have been exposed to it. This whole thing is extremely scary and out of control. I am all for an individual's rights and personal freedoms to do whatever they like to themselves and their lives, but the moment your actions impose on others in a very serious manner, you lose that privilege.