Syrian Refugees

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Syrian Refugees

Post by Moe »

What's everyone's opinion on this. My Facebook is full of offering opinions from "we should let them in" to "we shouldn't let them in" all the way to my brother who says "why should we be helping them when we have our own citizens/veterans that need help/are homeless."
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Syrian Refugees

Post by chex »

If the people who are complaining that we need to take care of our own citizens first are actual taking action to help our own citizens, then rock the hell on and I won't say a word against their viewpoint. I may disagree with them, but they're helping someone. Those who aren't doing shazam! are just balloon knot though. "No, you don't help those people. You help these people, while I princess sophia around on Facebook." Horseshit.

The terrorists who flew the planes on September 11th entered the country on legal visas. Timothy McVeigh was a homegrown terrorist. If we turn away refugees because we're scared of a wolf in sheep's clothing (and I do understand that fear) they will get in another way.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

I read a nice article on how long and thorough the process is for a refugee getting to any country, especially America. Simple answer: We should continue doing this.

"But... but... a bad guy might slip through undetected...." Highly unlikely. Also, not to sound trivial, but if we start hating and judging and making certain people and beliefs illegal, then the terrorists have won. smurf that.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

If you were in this situation you would want someone to help you. People in need require the help of those who can help. Veterans, refugees, both alike.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Oh, yeah... I got a little sidetracked there. If helping veterans is so important to those politicians, then what the hell have they been doing for the past 50 years?!?! The Veterans Administration has had so many cuts over the years it is obscene. And now they decide it is important? It is a photo op; a chance for some attention to take away from the real issues.

~ Donnie Yen ~
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

I think in the UK we should be doing more too. We're letting a certain amount in, but it's not a lot, especially compared to some other european countries, and it's over a fair number of years. The suffering that happens in other countries seems distant and it's easy to not think about it because it's not immediate and in front of your eyes.

The 'we could be letting terrorists in' argument is febreeze. Thankfully I haven't actually met anyone with that viewpoint in real life yet.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

People are now using it though because one terrorist supposedly got in that way.

Some friends and I had a discussion about migrants a while back. Well, some friends and I had a go at someone about his views on migration a while back (we evidently planned this well enough that it wouldn't look like we'd all agreed what to say before posting):

^unless he's had a major revelation since I went to school with him, he wasn't joking.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

I love it when people show an ugly side of themselves and then use the,"Hey, I was just kidding..." defense. Yeah, sure you were.

~ Donnie Yen ~