free thinking -vs- coddling

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
Wesley
GOD

free thinking -vs- coddling

Post by Wesley »

I just read a lovely article. It was very well written, and I did not find a single usage, spelling, or agreement error in it. (So often these days, even an article from a well-known source will get published before being properly proofread.) But more to the point, it brought light to many things I think we have been promoting all along here in the Level Game Forum. I am sure we have all seen cases where people get too easily offended, and then expect everyone else to take the blame for offending them rather than taking ownership of their own narrow viewpoint. In here, we all seem to gently try to open that person's shell and see the light of reason. Before I go too much further, here is the article. It is a long read, maybe 20 minutes if you get distracted, but worth it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... nd/399356/

I'd love to hear examples of how we help people to see the world beyond their own back yard; how we minimize offense and rather turn such events into learning opportunities; how many of our actions are specifically geared to opening minds rather than closing them.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~