Brexit

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Re: Brexit

Post by Moe »

Cho wrote:Canada looks nice.
I'll meet you there once Trump gets elected xp
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Clarence, seems we have the next NELG meet up at your place. :P
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

After having time to let everything sink in and watching a lot of debates:

The one thing that infuriates and worries me more than anything else is, as Cho alluded to, the racism that seems to be everywhere at the moment. There's been many postings on social media about instances of not just Europeans, but also people with any different skin colour/ethnicity that isn't white being told to go back to where they came from, and worse. From what I've watched/read, this could either be a fleeting increase of bigots using the referendum result as an excuse to shout racist abuse at people... or, more worryingly, it could be a permanent step up. This is terrifying, because I've often looked at other countries and been like 'thank smurf we're not that racist here' but so it appears, maybe there isn't any difference after all.

There are other things that bother me, but nothing more than the racism. I didn't sign this 'let's have another referendum' petition that has 3 million signers - I don't think there's any point dwelling on this, people voted and this is the outcome. I mean, the Leave campaign was based overwhelmingly on lies, but the Remain campaign did scaremonger (and I'm admitting this despite the fact that I wish Remain had won). I don't think as much will change as they said it would (thanks scaremongering). The economy should be okay. Supposedly we'll still have some free movement within the EU. We won't be leaving for years anyway.

The two main political parties are pissing me off. If our new prime minister is Boris I may cry because he's such an idiot and Labour is a bit of a shambles but other than that it'll be okay. I'm sad that all these Labour MPs are resigning (I think about 20 now...) because I genuinely like Corbyn, he's honest and down to earth but I still think he can lead the party.

The SNP keep banging on about Scotland and I get that but they chose to go with the UK in the indyref two years ago. And I really think this is a stupid time to break the country up, as if we're not broken up enough already.

I feel like our politicians don't really know what to do. How were they all so unprepared? I have very little faith left in our government and only very slightly more left in those who voted to leave. Everything is uncertain and divisive and it makes me sad.

TL;DR: Racism is bad; our country is a mess but it might be okay in a few months; politicians are all gobshites; the united kingdom isn't so united.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

Cho wrote:Apparently the Netherlands may be looking to leave too.
There's just one Dutch politician, Geert Wilders, who wants a referendum in the Netherlands about leaving. If I tell you he and Trump are much alike you know enough, just as much of an idiot. Really, they could be brothers.
Anyway, there has to be a referendum first and I hope it will not even come to that.