Bad Drivers

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Bad Drivers

Post by Nailbunny »

Okay, so I get it that some people are cautious behind the wheel and I can understand that. I myself am a little cautious driving in the winter ever since I flipped a truck. However, I think there are lines that get crossed on a regular basis between being cautious and creating a hazard. I personally believe 100% that if conditions of the roads are poor you should slow down and give your self extra time/space. But just because it's winter that doesn't mean that the roads are always bad. If the roads are clear and dry you should not be driving 20 km/h under the speed limit. That's becoming a hazard. If I come over a blind hill doing the speed limit of, for example, 80 km/h and some over cautious fool is doing 20 less than me, I have to jump on my brakes to avoid a collision. There are in fact a myriad of other reasons that I could complain about with other peoples driving, this just has to be one of my biggest problems I have. I'm not claiming to be a perfect driver either. I'm sure I make plenty of mistakes and I am known for going a little over the speed limit on highways. It just seems that people forget how to drive as soon as there is snow on the ground. This is Canada, you should know how to deal with driving in the winter by now. Especially cab drivers. They are professional drivers and should not be driving like this. I only bring this up because today I had this exact thing happen and narrowly avoiding rear-ending someone. It's really frustrating and has a tendency to give me a touch of road rage. Ugh.
"There's one at the door, at the gate to damnation. Is it thief, thug or Shay? There's one at the door, and there's room for one more till the end of Creation."
- Squatterbloat, from The Sandman #4 "A Hope In Hell"

"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." - Christian Slater in True Romance
Wesley
GOD

Re: Bad Drivers

Post by Wesley »

Dude, I totally agree with you! Being overly -- and unnecessarily -- cautious shifts it to suddenly becoming a hazard.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Post by Nailbunny »

Which is why in Canada you get a ticket for driving too slow. It's just not often enforced. In fact my uncle, who was notorious for speeding actually had gotten a ticket for driving too slow.
"There's one at the door, at the gate to damnation. Is it thief, thug or Shay? There's one at the door, and there's room for one more till the end of Creation."

"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." - Christian Slater in True Romance
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

I got caught behind a car going 35 in a 55 the other day. When the road slowed down to 45, I was like 'So he probably wont slow down, since he is already going pretty slow'-Nope once the 45 hit, he was going 25. The roads were pretty much as clear as they had been all winter
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Post by Nailbunny »

It drives me bonkers when people do that. Or when two people in a double lane highway are both driving significantly under the speed limit side by side. One of them needs to speed up or slow down so the other can move over. It's terribly annoying. :evil:

Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

We call that,"Barging." As in, lashing your cars together to form a barge.

I can see this thread getting very big.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Post by Nailbunny »

Haha, I can agree with you on that Zot. I've heard it called a slightly more offensive term than barging involving a racial slur and the word roadblock.

Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

I think what pisses me off the most, when im in a van - especially heavily laden, is being on a long straight road or more often going up hill, and due to the weight of the load I have to do a steady 60 or so (40-50 uphill), and some idiot (or idiots) will blast past me at about 80mph, then once the straight is done and we get back to 2-3 miles of narrow twitsy country lane, they're doing 40 on the straighter bits and 20 on every sharp bend, while I still want to do 50. smurf up my patience and fuel consumption, and often leads to me being tempted to overtake them on a bend - which is never a good thing. If you can't handle the road ahead don't friggin overtake people who are doing a decent, but not excessive speed people on the wide straight bit :x
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

So far, I completely agreed with EVERYTHING that's been said here including the overly cautious driving in the winter when roads are clearly fine.

That being said, when the roads are NOT clear in the winter, it absolutely pisses me off when I have someone riding my bottom. I have a Mustang with rear-wheel drive, which is not at all optimal for winter weather conditions. I cannot go more than 20 mph without fish tailing and I have difficulty coming to a stop. I have had my car for eight years and I know exactly what it can and can't handle in the snow. If I am not going fast enough for you, either back off or go around me. There are multiple lanes for a reason and I'm not about to put myself and my car at risk.

And yes, I've heard the complaint a million times that I'm the dumbass for buying a Mustang when I live in a place that has been known to have extreme winters. First of all, this is the first and only car I've ever owned. They don't teach you about cars in school and I didn't exactly have parents to guide me that way either. And yes, now that I know that Mustangs suck in winter, I can't just afford to go out and buy a new one responsibly. And if I'm going to save up to buy a new vehicle, which I have been and hopefully will be able to get one for next winter, I need to go to work. How do I get to work? My Mustang.