out with the old, in with the crap

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
Wesley
GOD

out with the old, in with the crap

Post by Wesley »

My grandfather was born and raised and died in Idaho. Being one of the newest and youngest states, there was not a lot of history in the architecture there, and they regularly tore down the old to put up the new. When he visited here, he commented to me how nice it was to see very old structures preserved the way they were. They provide a mechanical / technical history as well as the cultural history of the people who built them and used them.

I guess urban sprawl is more important to a faceless corporation than any of that. A hundreds of years old tavern and mill was almost demolished recently when a real estate developer -- who runs the local shopping malls -- wanted to put a smurf fast food joint up. On top of that, the Bill of Rights was formulated by a bunch of free thinkers in this very inn. Yeah, a Chipotle is more important than that.

http://cumberlink.com/news/local/commun ... user-share
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Re: out with the old, in with the crap

Post by Clarence »

That pisses me off, I love old historical buildings and they are a living piece of our history.