Administrative Leave

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
Shay
recuerdame

Administrative Leave

Post by Shay »

This is complete febreeze.

As you all know, we were hit with a pretty decent winter storm on Monday night through Tuesday. We may not have gotten the 16 inches originally expected, but it was still pretty bad. I had every intentions of still trying to get to work until my tree fell on the house and in the driveway. At 7:15 AM yesterday, the power went out to all of downtown including my office. Just before 9:00 AM, the commissioner decided to close the building and send everyone home that made it in as there was no estimated time for the power to return. Turns out that everyone who was able to make it in gets to use administrative leave for the day without having to use vacation or sick leave. Anyone who was not able to make it in has to dip into their vacation or sick leave pool.

I find this absolutely absurd. People should not be penalized for staying safe or being unable to make it into work due to inclement weather if the entire building was out of commission because of it. We should only have to use vacation/sick leave during our normal scheduled time until the time that the building closed.

I'm just so freaking livid right now. Now I know that it's better to risk my damn life for the sake of work than to stay home. I guess I should walk my happy bottom to work next time if I have to.

smurf you, State of Nebraska.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Administrative Leave

Post by chex »

Who shot who in the what now? I'm sorry, Shay. That is complete horseshit.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

If the place is shut down, everyone scheduled that day should get a freebie. I understand where they think they are going.... if someone had already called off sick, they don't want to pay that person an extra day. But just because I understand it does not mean I agree with it.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

That is totally unfair and hypocritical. 'We all want you to be save and stay at home. But first show up for work, no matter if you can do your job that day and we don't care how you get here'.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Yeah, I get the mind set behind it. I don't think it's right, though. Thanks for making me feel a little more self-assured in my opinions. Lol
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Same exact thing happened at our work.

:/