iPhone bug

Do you have something interesting to share from where you live? Any news articles or events that are going on that you want to post? Here's the place to do it.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

iPhone bug

Post by Moe »

I love the articles my phone gives me sometimes (it has a built in news app).

Today it gave me one about an iPhone bug that will completely brick the phone..

Apparently if you set the date on your iPhone to 1/1/1970, it will brick the phone.

link

What causes this, is that iOS is a Unix based system, and 1/1/1970 on a Unix system is represented as a 0. Apparently having a 0 for the date will cause the phone to not know how to react and will mess it up.

The main reason this even made news is because there were people on the internet trying to troll users telling them it was am setting the date to 1/1/1970 would trigger an easter egg and give their phone a retro theme.

Apple wasn't founded until 1976, so there wouldn't even be a retro theme for them from 1970, haha.

Oh! So I should add.. It only affects 64bit devices (iPhone 5s and newer)
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Re: iPhone bug

Post by Beany »

Add that to their new iOS (why can it not just be an OS?) destroying phones that have had unauthorised repairs, and you wonder why people still buy this overpriced crap.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

They really aren't that overpriced.

The 6S is $649 USD, where my not iPhone cost right about the same.

Most new phones will cost $500+ if you get them without a contract through a carrier..

Okay, I take that back... For the quality of device you are getting, I guess it is overpriced in that aspect... They just suck
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Upfront cost there's only £20 in it, but the contract price for an iPhone is £6.50 more per month than the Samsung Galaxy S6, which is probably what I'd compare it to, and the iPhone also has a £40 upfront cost.

Of course, most people wouldn't spend £600 on a phone in the first place...

Wait... the iPhone in the US is $649? That's like £450. It's £619 here (actually £539 for the smallest memory, but still considerably more).
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆