Donald Trump: Countdown to impeachment day

Do you have something interesting to share from where you live? Any news articles or events that are going on that you want to post? Here's the place to do it.

Who will ultimately be the president?

Hillary Clinton
57%
Bernie Sanders
43%
Ben Carson
No votes
Ted Cruz
No votes
John Kasich
No votes
Marco Rubio
No votes
Donald Trump
No votes

Total votes: 7

Wesley
GOD

Re: 2016 USA Presidential race NELG coverage

Post by Wesley »

Never before has it been so important not to "throw away" your vote on a third party. Here in Pennsylvania it was close. In Florida it was close. Now those smurf who voted Johnson get to live in the same Dark Ages as the rest of us.

smurf smurf smurf.

I'm going to barf.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Clinton is ahead in votes alone now - I know she hasn't got the presidency, but does the number of individual votes actually mean anything?

We were hoping your country would learn from ours. Don't protest-vote. Don't vote for someone you don't want to reduce the chance of someone else you don't want getting it. Vote for the least-worst.

2016 so far has been full of shazam!, and there are still somehow 52 days left of it.

We should all move to Canada and found a literal NELG mansion.
πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

The Electoral College is a mess. Try explaining to anyone how your vote only counts as far as whether or not some randomly assigned representative gets to vote on your behalf. What the smurf is that? It leads to shitstorms like an angry, vengeful, uneducated, inexperienced baby being elected to the highest electable office in the world.

~ Donnie Yen ~
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

The third party voters have a point though. I do hope that one outcome of all this misery will be a strengthening of a third party which actually is an opponent to the current, all-dominating two party-system.
Those who voted were on aveerage white with no high school degree. Education is vital to build your own opinion.
The Democrats failed in coming up with a more popular candidate.
We have to deal with it now, as we have to deal with a patriarchaic oligarch in Russia who likes taking selfies half-naked on a horse and with a political ruler who strongly dislikes democratic values in Turkey, married to a wife who thinks harems are ok.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

A huge chunk of my politically left Facebook friends are complaining about everyone that voted 3rd party, with the context of their posts implying that "if you hadn't voted third party, Hillary would have won"

And i think that that type of idea is completely bologna.
That type of post implies that their second choice would have been Hillary, and that is a silly assumption.
Primary example.
"Hillary lost Florida by 3% and the third party vote was 4%"
For Hillary to have won Florida, she would have needed every single one of that 4% to vote for her.
That's an unlikely thing to have happened.

I get that it's probably more of a wishful thinking type of thing, but still.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Moe

Post by Moe »

That being said, yes, there are states where the third party vote smurf Clinton, I'm just sick of seeing everyone assume that every single person that voted third party would have otherwise voted Clinton.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Had Bernie gotten the nomination, he would have done much better.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Hillary had a lot of things against her. Lots of Bernie supporters didn't want to vote for her, and there was a lot of talk of people writing him in, despite it not being possible for him to become president (not sure how many people actually did). I feel like Brexit and the US election are quite similar in that people may have voted for him or third party as a protest against her, not expecting this to be the outcome.

One of the claims of sexual assault is going to court in December (if I remember correctly), so there's a chance the outcome of that could affect this.

I do think the protests are unreasonable though. I'm not saying I'm happy with the result but in a vote you can't just say that you don't like the outcome and demand it's changed. People tried that here. If Hillary had won, people wouldn't stand for Trump supporters doing that. Admittedly the email thing doesn't exactly compare to claims of sexual assault/harassment.

Sorry if I'm repeating anything someone else has said. I lost track of my point.
πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

Hillary won the popular vote. And yeah, people are protesting. This isn't "oh, the guy I don't like won." It's people afraid for their lives. On Facebook, I shared a link to a petition to have the electorates vote for Hillary in December. If Hillary had won, there wouldn't be that fear of physical safety.

And unless there was another trial, the victim dropped her suit. :(
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Fair enough. I didn't think that through.
πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†
Moe

Post by Moe »

there is a change.org petition calling for the Electors to ignore their states vote and cast their ballots for Hillary instead, and it has 3.3million signatures at the time of this post

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
chex

Post by chex »

One of them is mine. :D
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

The electors are the people you voted for...? So the majority is Republican? Why would they vote against their own party? Even if they don't personally like him, isn't it their job to support him?
πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†
chex

Post by chex »

It's not only about party loyalty. It's about who is best for the country. When people (and in this case, not even the majority) elect someone who will be bad for the majority, based on ignorance and misinformation, the electors should be able to fix that.

And again, Trump did not win the popular vote. More people voted for Clinton. Also again, this isn't about not liking him. He is actually dangerous for many people in this country.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I think I'm making my points terribly. I'm not trying to say that it's just people not liking him. I had assumed the Republican electors would support his views, but I suppose there's no reason why they should. What are they like? Are they people who would come out badly from Trump being in power? Unless they themselves are really concerned, it wouldn't be in their interest to defy their state's vote, regardless of who won in the popular vote, or they'd have no chance at the next election.

Out of interest, did any of the electors stand down after it was announced who the candidate was?

I do agree that it's a good idea, and I'm by no means saying that it's a good thing he's won. I just look at things critically.

On another note, apparently Trump has made comments about people who are transgender using whichever bathroom they feel comfortable with. I can't work out why - I struggle to see how it could be genuine, but it's not going to change people's minds about him, other than to anger anyone who supported him for his views on transgender rights.
πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†πŸ¦†
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

The majority voted for Hillary. However, due to the nature of the Electoral College mr dump got the electorates. How? There is this thing called Jerrymandering, where they divide up political districts based on race and income and any other things that suit their whim and will more than likely get certain officials elected. In a big, symmetrical city, it is not uncommon to have voting districts that look more like the Kamchatka Peninsula than a group of relatively square city blocks. It is absurd, and needs to be abolished. Also, the electoral college needs to go. It was established when the VAST majority of American voters were uneducated and unable to get information. Now the smallest farms in Kansas still gets the internet. Even if they only watch Fox News they have more knowledge of the world than they did 200 years ago.

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex

Post by chex »

I had Froot Loop all worked up and pissed off, talking about gerrymandering. She learned a lot about it doing this with me. The puzzles are fun, but the information is pretty infuriating.
chex

Post by chex »

Cho, our system is so confusing, broken, and just plain stupid, that it makes it difficult to answer your questions without just screaming "but this is wrong!!" :lol: I did read at one point that an elector stepped down, rather than face the possibility of having to vote Trump.

I woke up to a message from Lalou, asking me about the electoral college. I'll copy and paste my reply, so you can see more reasons it's smurf stupid and needs to go.
Okay, the electoral collage is a pretty antiquated way of weighing votes. States in "flyover country" (the more rural states in the middle of the country that people just fly over, going between the coasts) felt that they would constantly be disenfranchised, with the bigger cities having all the say. Not that cities were given more weight before, but simply that more people live in the cities of course, and therefore would be voting for who would be most beneficial to that lifestyle, leaving the rural populations to be neglected. So to use super simplified numbers because I grasp things better when using smaller numbers, (and my ratios will be off, but you can get the idea) let's say that CA (which swings democratic, due to having Los Angeles and other big cities) has ten people, and WY (which has no big cities and always swings republican) has 4. CA has more people, so they have more electoral votes. (They actually have 55, I believe, but for the sake of their imaginary ten person population, I'll give them 6. WY, with their imaginary population of 4, has less electoral votes. Let's give them 3.) So even though CA has more votes, if you live in a rural area, your vote is weighted more. I understand the thought process behind it, but it ends up letting just a few states decide the president. A republican living in NY won't have their vote counted at all, since NY always swings democrat, and a democrat living in Oklahoma won't have their vote counted, as Oklahoma always swings republican. THere's no point in the candidates campaigning in those states, because they're basically decided already. Most of the campaigning ends up being done in the battle ground states, which can go either way.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I understand it a little better now, but it still makes no sense. :lol:
chex

Post by chex »

I was taught this shazam! in high school, and still had no idea how it worked until recently.