Apple v. FBI

Do you have something interesting to share from where you live? Any news articles or events that are going on that you want to post? Here's the place to do it.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Apple v. FBI

Post by Moe »

As most people probably know, the FBI and Apple are duking it out in court, because Apple isn't "letting the FBI into the San Bernadino iPhone"

The problem isn't that Apple is saying "Yeah, we don't want to help", because that's simply not true.. As much as I don't like Apple, I actually kind of side with them on this.

Apple has helped the FBI in the sense that they gave them all that they had access to (iCloud backup, stuff like that), but the FBI wants in to the phone, as the backup is several weeks old.. Reasonable.

What the FBI is asking Apple to do though, is to create a software that can backdoor into an iPhone, so that Law Enforcement can get into suspect phones.. Also reasonable.. kind of?

However, Apple's argument, which was the point that won me over to their side, is that, they don't want to create a backdoor into their devices, because that completely undoes all the work they put into encrypting their software to begin with. On top of that, the reason that they don't want to make a backdoor into the phones, is because they know the Internet, and they know how savvy hackers are, and they know that if they put in a backdoor, it's only a matter of time before it falls into the wrong hands, and Apple simply doesn't want to hand up our privacy to hackers on a silver platter..

John Oliver says it best (Has swearing and, thus NSFW, though why would you be watching YouTube at work anyways?)
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Shay
recuerdame

Re: Apple v. FBI

Post by Shay »

For the record, I watch YouTube at work all the time. In fact, on Monday that was literally all I did the entire day. We were sooooooo dead. Hardly any tickets came in that day and the ones that did were super easy. So I spent the entire date watching SFX Makeup tutorials (trying to figure out my next Halloween costume).

But yeah, as much as I hate Apple, I am completely with them on this. Creating a backdoor compromises everything that Apple claims to stand for (outside of simply a brand name with a terrible centralized itunes control system). It loses the integrity of their software and the service guarantee they provide to their customers. Plus, I don't trust the FBI, much less the general public. Once the FBI gets their hands on a backdoor to the iPhone, they will abuse it and start using it to spy on all iPhone users.