Corona Virus

Do you have something interesting to share from where you live? Any news articles or events that are going on that you want to post? Here's the place to do it.
NTG
Green Man

Corona Virus

Post by NTG »

I’m sure we’ve all heard of it by now, the corona virus. It has currently infected 140,000 people.
The bad news is, there are 4 confirmed cases in my county, so my school is closed for 2 weeks.

How is the Coronavirus affecting you?
"255 isn't just a number, it's a way of life."

-NTG 5/20/2019

hi once again

Keeping the forum active since 2018!
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Moe »

Our facility has canceled most all events involving outside people(including visits). Sounds like we might shut down to just essential staff pretty soon here. There are 14 (as of current) cases in my state. All of which are 2+ hours South of us, though, most of our court transports bring us there, so I'm waiting to see if those get postponed. I'm waiting for them to also cancel all non-essential transports, which our transport staff are pushing for.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Here in Pennsylvania they have closed the schools for 2 weeks and cancelled many concerts and conventions and things like that.

And everyone bought all the toilet paper, even though every report about the Covid-19 symptoms says it is a cough, some upper chest congestion.

Joe Rogan has a good podcast about Corona, Lyme, and some other stuff.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/coronavirus ... 9-episode/
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Moe

Post by Moe »

Our Governor just closed down schools starting on the 8th.
Our Department of Health is recommending all events larger than 150 people, or ones smaller than 150 people where people will have to be closer than 6 feet of each other be cancelled.
Basically all state employees that can work from home are encouraged to do so. Unfortunately, [Department of Human Services]-Direct Care and Treatment staff are unable to as they work directly with people.

On the plus side, our Union local passed an agreement with Administration that, if a staff is quarantined, and runs out of Sick leave, they will continue to be paid on Administrative leave.

At work, all transports that are not Court related (as the State courts are still processing high priority cases, which ours fall under), Department of Corrections pick ups, and other essential (Dialysis and Cancer treatments) have been cancelled for the next two weeks. No outside visitors (or attorneys) are allowed in, attorneys can try to schedule a video meeting if needed. Pretty much as soon as someone in our facility gets sick with SARS-CoV-2, we'll go into lockdown (whether locked in their rooms or just on their units I don't know, probably depends. They might let the guys that aren't sick out on the units. Full details for this haven't really been passed down.)

Minnesota is up to 35 confirmed cases, (though we've only tested 1400 people)
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Same here, everything is slowing down, schools are closed, some borders too. And everyone is going crazy about toilet paper for whatever reason. I hope this will be over in a couple of weeks.

Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Was wondering when someone would make a thread on this
Moe

Post by Moe »

Governor ordered the closure of well, basically anything that isn't a supermarket, pharmacy, or other establishments that provide essential retail goods and services.

In another executive order he "authorized and directed the Commissioner of Management and Budget to develop and implement a policy to provide paid leave to executive branch employees (Which includes most state employees) who must be absent from work for reasons related to COVID-19, including but not limited to caring for their children due to school closure due to COVID-19. - In that same order he suspended provisions in all collective bargaining units restricting the appointing authorities(the State) ability to change work schedules and other work related things related to overtime, filling of vacancies.

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

To quote the now 11 year old Apple Jack, "it's corona time, fools!"
Moe

Post by Moe »

chex wrote:11 year old Apple Jack
I had to pause reading this. My first thought was "Apple Jack can't be 11 yet!"

Rumor has it (I don't work until Friday), that they are now screening us going into work. It's just a tempurature thing to check for fevers so it's not really a catchall, but it's something. I'm waiting for (and again, I won't know if they have already or not until Friday), for them to limit us to just essential staff. This wouldn't effect me any, as I am considered essential.

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

I'm attempting to fine for unemployment. The smurf site keeps crashing. They had to lay off some people, and since the schools are all closed, they offered it to the parents of young kids first. Froot Loop is 14 now, but can't be trusted to babysit for long periods of time. My boss assured me that my job would be waiting for me when this is all over. (I'm one of their strongest people, so I knew it would be, but it was still really reassuring to hear.)
Moe wrote:
chex wrote:11 year old Apple Jack
I had to pause reading this. My first thought was "Apple Jack can't be 11 yet!"
Corn Pop is 8!!
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

It's a shame that staying healthy is a question of money, that parents with young kids are the first to lose their jobs. I hope not only companies get some of that promised money. Trickle down economics does not really work.
Moe

Post by Moe »

The scary thing too is the small businesses that might not have enough cash on hand to be able to make it through the down time.

My family is just lucky that, everyone in my immediate family at least, are considered essential staff. (Me, my parents, and my brother work at a secure treatment facility that needs to maintain staff through this, my sister in law works at the clinic, and my other brother works in a store that sells grocery, which, at least in my state, has been deemed essential.)

And our state also directed schools to provide care to the children of emergency workers(under 12) , which my brother (and sister in law) also qualify for, however in the event that that ends, in a separate executive order said that (administrative branch) state employees are provided paid leave to care for their children (And this one will remain in effect until the emergency order is terminated or rescinded.

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men