Syria

Do you have something interesting to share from where you live? Any news articles or events that are going on that you want to post? Here's the place to do it.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Syria

Post by Clarence »

Discuss.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Syria

Post by chex »

I'm tired of the US deciding it needs to police the friggin' world. What's happening over there sucks, but maybe if we stopped pumping so much money into the military to take care of other countries, maybe we could afford to take care of our own country.

Not to mention, my kids haven't had their dad in a year. They're just about to get him back, and I'd like for them to have their daddy for a while before we go sticking our nose into another country they could send him off to.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

So sorry Chex, I neglected to think from your point of view on this regard. I truely hope America doesn't get involved.

:grouphug2:
chex

Post by chex »

We will. We always do. And if my husband gets sent, we'll get through it like we always do. If he doesn't get sent, another kid's parent will.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely heartless. It's really terrible what's happening there. There are really terrible things happening all over the world. We can't solve them all.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

chex wrote: We can't solve them all.
And that says it all.
A few years ago, when the invasion in Iraq was being prepared, I was on my bike and had to wait at a road crossing. When the train was crossing it was one with a lot of tanks on it. I knew they were going to war. It made me cry.

It's terrible what's happening in Syria, but it was terrible a year ago also.

What I don't understand is why it didn't take long to decide to intervene in Libya, and why it takes so long with Syria.
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I want an intervention, I don't. It's just that I don't see the difference here.
Are Syrian people worth less that Libyans?

But then again, I don't get it if people are not getting along at all. Please, life is hard enough as it is, let's not make it harder by hating others.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

The United States like to play World Police largely because it then gets special drilling and shipping rights to the natural resources there.

yes, imagine that, war based on money. oil in this case.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex

Post by chex »

Yep.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Did you know that the US exports more oil than it imports?

Before you get all weird, I am simplifying to include processed and unprocessed crude.

We ship enough stuff out to other countries (Canada) to take care of our own energy needs for quite some time. But shipping it out makes us more money.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Ninja
*must post more*

Post by Ninja »

The analogy of a hornet's nest is less apt than that of a bear trap. Once in, it's a hard situation to get out of. Looking at the strategic, political, economical and humanitarian issues going on, I'm really glad I don't make the decisions. With the options available, and the outcomes possible, any choice is more likely to be wrong than right.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

I agree with ninja this is a very controversial issue that makes me feel like just as I've made up my mind on what my opinion on it should be, I hear/read a convincing argument from the other side and I have to rethink the entire situation.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I feel the same. I actually have not yet made up my mind if I'm pro or con sending the troups.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

I feel like something needs to be done, I just don't know if it should be the US to do it
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men