Hey Moe (internet issues with Windows10)

When Chex breaks her computer
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Hey Moe (internet issues with Windows10)

Post by LaLou »

I understand that you are very techsavy. I have some issues with Windows 10 and the internet.
I bought a new laptop two months ago, and unfortunatly it had Winsdows10 pre installed. Every time I turn this laptop on, it somehow turned off the internet connection. Last week I finally went back to the shop where I bought it, and they knew what caused the problem. The young man that helped me told us that more laptops have this problem, it has something to do with WAN ports. He uninstalled all of them, restarted the laptop (which took quite a while) and presto, problem solved.
Now here is the thing, Windows10 seemingly does not want uninstalled WAN ports and gets them back every now and then, which causes the internet connection (both Wifi and wired connection) to turn off, and we have to restart the router. This is a problem, since I am not able to get upstairs to get to the router and have to wait until hubby gets home from work.
Now today I could play YouTube video's on my Phone and tablet, but other internet activities were not possible. After checking there were 5 new WAN ports, and while uninstalling 6 more were added.

My question is this, do you know any way to prevent Windows10 installing the WAN ports again?
Should I install Windows7 on this laptop? I never had any problems with Windows7.
I get so frustrated, I have now laptop which I basically cannot use, and even worse, all the other devices are rendered useless as well.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Re: Hey Moe (internet issues with Windows10)

Post by Moe »

What it's doing their is detecting hardware but not drivers, and installing the drivers.

What you can do, is disable it from disabling it from automatically installing drivers as a whole (I don't know if you can do this on a driver by driver basis, but when I get time I'll look into it)

Click on the start menu, and there should be a search bar. In that search bar, type in "System" it should be the top result.on the left side, there should be an "advanced system settings option", click on that.

At the top of that window, click the "Hardware" tab. Then click on the "device installation settings". In here, select the "no" option

This might cause later problems if you plug in a new device. Where you will manually have to tell windows to install the drivers for it though. (I'll get into that later, I gotta get ready for work
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men