Animus'es

Talk about your favourite shows here!
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Animus'es

Post by Dowster »

The title is what my son calls episodes of Anime (intentionally as a joke) and pretty much what I've been watching when I have free time - which is not that often. I basically didn't watch any at all between 2005-2017. 2005 was the year I moved in with my (ex)wife and the kids were born in 2008 and 2010, around about 2017 I started watching a few series with them, and catching up on some of the less family friendly ones on my own. They pretty much watch anything with me now though but even the new seasonal anime is more than I can keep up with while still trying to put a dent in the vast backlog of stuff I missed. I started compiling a list to keep track at first, then realised there were websites that existed for just that purpose - ie here's link to my list on MAL https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Arcaedes Thus far I've added a total of 312 series to my plan to watch list and completed 140 (over 3 years) I suppose it's good to have more to do than free time to run out and get bored though..

Has anyone seen any of the series I've completed, or recommend what to prioritise from the "plan to" list?
Wesley
GOD

Re: Animus'es

Post by Wesley »

That is quite a list you have there!

Cowboy Bebop has a lovely retro 1980s feel.

Can't go wrong with anything from Rumiko Takahashi (Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, etc.)

All the Studio Ghibli films are very artistic as far as both appearance and storytelling. (princess mononoke, Totoro, etc.)

Some smaller series that you may try include Last Exile, Um....

You know, it is literally impossible to watch all the Anime produced. It is tricky to filter to just the stuff you NEED to watch, the stuff you WANT to watch, and somehow you have to accept that there are other complete series that you will never watch.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Last Exile is one (of many) that I forgot to add to my list as yet. Thanks for the reminder
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

I must say that, it's been awhile since I watched it, but Charlotte on your plan to watch, is pretty good. I fully enjoyed that one. It's definitely one I plan to go back and watch again since it has been so long.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Thanks, I'll put that one on the shortlist of series I'm trying to get around to before the 2020 winter seasonals start airing
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Dowster! :D

Any movie by studio Ghibli is worth watching.
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Hey Bells :-D (typing that made me think of hay bales.. random) I would definitely agree with that, although movies - particularly the ones from more successful studios tend to be more family friendly than a traditional anime series, which can restrict the content somewhat, the Ghibli films are always quality and enjoyable to watch. I also very much enjoyed Kimi no Na wa (Your Name) and Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice) worth looking up for anyone who hasn't seen them. I downloaded Weathering With You a while ago but not had time to watch it yet, and Date A Bullet premiered today which I'll definitely grab while I can. That one's a spin off from a mildly ecchi action/comedy series - one of the better ones, and likely to be entertaining
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

GunBuster had some good hard Science Fiction to go with the sappy Anime romance and gundam storylines.

~ Donnie Yen ~
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Weathering with you was quite enjoyable, a bit different
than the average anime.
I need to look up the others, they have completely different names here. Did you watch Hotaru no Haka?
The Garden of Words is also a good one, it captures Tokio's atmosphere in the rainy season. (doesn't sound very interesting, I know :P ).
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Hotaru no Haka I saw a long time ago, I didn't add it to my list because I plan to re-watch any anime from prior to setting up my account on MAL before marking as complete and rating it, and it's certainly very impactful and worth watching, but from a feels perspective I'd have to pass on sitting through it a second time. Tbh I probably won't watch Plastic Memories or Anohana again because those feels are a bit too much, and I tend to stick with light (or trashy) entertainment at the end of a long work day, although I do like something a bit heavier occasionally

Garden of Words is on my plan to watch list now. I knew the name and thought that it was one I'd already added but apparently not

Also I couldn't remember Gunbuster at all until I looked it up, and I'm still kind of hazy on it but I definitely remember Nono (Season 2) so not entirely sure when I watched it, but must have been a while ago. There really has been a lot of anime created over the past 30 or so years. More than I could ever watch but at least running out won't be a problem
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

Dowster wrote:Hotaru no Haka
Definitely need to watch this again myself
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Oh, damn! How could I forget Black Heaven (Hard Rock Save the Space) ? Black Heaven kicks bottom in so many ways. And it has so many layers! If you have never seen it, let me know and I'll do a very brief synopsis.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

I actually have not seen it, I checked the synopsis on MAL and it does seem like an "only in anime" type of concept, but often they work very well

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1025/Kach ... &cat=anime