Milk

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
bella
the two timer

Milk

Post by bella »

I just watched a really good documentary about Monsanto and what they do. They developed a hormone which leads to a 20% increase in milk production of cows. It also leads to illnesses and a higher insuline level of the animals.
The hormone has been banned in Canada (due to scientific research, the scientiests have been fired after the result has been published) and because of these publications in all of Europe too. Do you guys over the big pond have the option to buy rBST-free milk?
Here's a link for all those who don't know what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin

It is also shocking somehow that there is no labelling obligation for genetically modified food in the States. This doesn't give consumers any choice.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Milk

Post by chex »

Giving consumers a choice might hurt big business. :|
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Most recently I read that they want to add artificial sweeteners to milk, but no have it on the label. This really pisses me off. I have an acute sensitivity and sharp dislike for artificial sweeteners, so I would know in an instant if it is in my milk. But for it to be in there and not on the label? febreeze. I have basically stopped drinking milk anyway.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

This modified milk can increase your risk of getting cancer. The hormone itself doesn't cause cancer but it can cause tumor cells, which aren't a tumor yet, in your body to grow and become bigger. People should at least have the right to decide, it's a basic right. Taking it away violates human rights.

People from this company work for the government and vice versa. Therefore the introduction of genetically modified organisms was made on a political (and economic) basis, not on a scientific one. Due former president Reagans's policy of deregulation Monsanto was able to bring GMO to the market and now it's big business before people's concerns.

First they invented roundup, a herbicide, and then they invented a genetically modified plant to survive the herbizide. They also claimed that roundup was bio-degradable which it isn't. They had to remove it from advertisements.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

I read that, about the sweeteners, too. I wanna move.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

I feel that soon something horrible will happen, like a baby getting cancer from milk or something, and there will be a revolution. I know Monsanto has done good things, but man, these evil money making schemes outweigh the good stuff by far.

Viva la Revolution!

~ Donnie Yen ~
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

What good have they done apart from getting rich?
Even if people get ill from drinking milk, they will claim that it wasn't caused by them.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I suppose that's where the organic stores come into play, but they're so friggin' expensive. I had not heard of the artificial sweetener though. I think it should be illegal to not put it as a listed ingredient. My uncle is highly allergic to one of the most common artificial sweeteners, aspartame, as well as a close friend of mine.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Really? I didn't know you can be allergic to it.
At least consumers should have the choice to buy the milk they prefer, for the same price.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

In some people Aspartame will induce a powerful headache. In others, it will give them the squirts.

Either way, EVERYTHING should be on the label.

There are dairies near my house that give you milk basically as soon as it comes out of the cow.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Aspartame is the most common one for people to be allergic to (which makes it fun when you can't have it and you live with a diabetic), which makes it odd that it's the one most commonly used (sometimes disguised as Acesulfame K). It's also a depressant, which surely means it's not a great thing to be putting in milk, especially as many young children drink a lot of milk. But some other sweeteners have bad tastes and things, like Stevia. To my knowledge of sweeteners, it's found naturally, but has a very bitter aftertaste.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆