Opera?

Want to share your favourite song? Talk about an awesome band? Do it here!
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Opera?

Post by sizz »

I saw my first opera (in the theatre i mean, not just on DVD) yesterday. La Boheme, at the London Coliseum (which is by the way, a freaking beautiful venue, it just goes up and up forever). It was incredible, and although i can see why people pass opera off as a load of shrieking, it's really not, the music is stunning and the stories are so sad. We actually missed the start and like ran all the way there from the tube station, and had to sit at these seats at the back of the second balcony/dress circle thing where we couldn't see the surtitles (like subtitles, but at the top) but then in the interval we moved up to the top balcony which was insane, really high up, and the seats slope really dramatically so everyone sits on these really narrow seats. it's such a good experience, i want to see so many more. you can get tickets as cheap as £8 (which, in the uk, is about the same price as a cinema ticket...) here which is surprising too because i thought opera was really posh and stuff, but in fact it can be quite reasonable.. our tickets were £25 i think, though the bf bought them so i don't really know.

Anyone else seen one/want to?
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Re: Opera?

Post by LaLou »

I've seen Carmen, like 30 years ago and more recently (about 10 years ago) Jesus Christ Superstar. There's many more I would like to go see, but tickets here are quite expensive, ranging from 18,50 euro up to over 50 euro.
I like opera. Operetta and musicals though I don't like. At all.
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Re: Opera?

Post by sizz »

I adore the music in Carmen but it has too many female characters in it, and i find them squealy. I'd love to see it in a theatre though, i've just played the orchestral parts.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.