Vinyl

Want to share your favourite song? Talk about an awesome band? Do it here!
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Vinyl

Post by Nailbunny »

I was just wondering if anyone else on here collects vinyl records. It's something I've gotten into over the last year and find quite enjoyable. I find I can spend hours searching through records. I'ts a fun albeit expensive hobby.
"There's one at the door, at the gate to damnation. Is it thief, thug or Shay? There's one at the door, and there's room for one more till the end of Creation."
- Squatterbloat, from The Sandman #4 "A Hope In Hell"

"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." - Christian Slater in True Romance
Wesley
GOD

Re: Vinyl

Post by Wesley »

Ha. I had Pyromania on vinyl. When I started to appreciate music, your choices were LP, 8-track, or cassette. I still have Led Zeppelin III and Dark Side of the Moon and a few others... oh, Vandenburgh! Yeah, funny how a thing will change over time. I recently got a usb turntable that will play some old 78s that I have. Some works of Tchaicovsky directed by none other than Leopold Stokowski himself!

If you are bored or feeling lucky, you can visit all the second hand and thrift stores to see what old vinyl Gramma and Grandpa donated. Lawrence Welk? Sure, why not!
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Post by Nailbunny »

Yeah, it can be a lot of fun touring around all the spots that have vinyl for sale simply because you never know when you'll find something awesome. Today I was out browsing and ending up buying Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast, George Thorogood - Born To Be Bad and Gordon Lightfoot - Gord's Gold.
"There's one at the door, at the gate to damnation. Is it thief, thug or Shay? There's one at the door, and there's room for one more till the end of Creation."

"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." - Christian Slater in True Romance
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Vinyl is kind of special. You have to actually make an effort to listen to the music. You only get about 30 minutes per side, usually less. You have to start it up, set the stylus, all of it. It is almost like a continuation of what it took for the artist to make the music.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Post by Nailbunny »

That's exactly why I like it. Because I'm listening for the side to finish, I pay closer attention to the music itself. It's fantastic!

Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

I have so many freinds who does that. going crazy about that stuff.
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Post by Nailbunny »

A friend of mine calls vinyl "black crack" because it's just as addictive and expensive hahaha

sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

We have about 400 vinyl records and are trying to get rid of them. My dad's sold his more unique ones on ebay and got a few £100 out of them. They're lovely, pretty and it has a nice nostalgic feel listening to them but they take up so much room. I have a framed vinyl single in my room here at university of 'Stand By Me', which is nice. We're also converting loads of our vinyls to MP3 so we can keep the music, so now i have all the Frank Zappa albums and a bunch of other good stuff :D
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Post by Nailbunny »

That's really awesome! My collection isn't nearly that big yet. The way I've been buying records I'm sure it will one day though haha.

Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

400 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

Well keep this in mind, my dad is 60, probably went to concerts every other day when he was my age (he's seen everyone from Bob Marley to Eric Clapton) so people knew he was massively into music so basically threw vinyl at him over the years, meaning his collection is huuuuuge.

My collection is CD or on iTunes, it's bigger than anyones i know but its mostly nicked off of friends :P vinyls are pretty but at uni i have nothing to play them on :(
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.