Food!

Don't lie. You're singing the song now, aren't you?

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Re: Food!

Post by LaLou »

There are a few different ways to make fries.
First there are different ways of cutting. French fries are really thin fries. Then there's the "normal" fries, those are a bit thicker. And then there's what we in the Netherlands call, Grandma's fries, nice chunky fries. (I love those best). If small potatoes are cut into quarters it's called wedges.
The frying: Preheat the oven to 200 C, (400 F). My favorite method is preboiling the potatoes for ten minutes, Or until the water just starts to bubble, whichever comes first. If you have a small amount and boil them for ten minutes they will be overdone. Drain them and put some oil and seasoning on them. You could use just pepper and salt, or rosemary, or paprika powder, or well, whatever you like. What I really like is to toss the potatoes with some semolina. It give a crunchy texture. (1 or 2 tablespoons). Wack them in the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes. (Keep an eye on them).

Method 2: Don't preboil, but use the method I mentioned above. I have not tried this with the semolina, so that would be at your own risk. Needs to be in the oven for about 45 minutes in my experience.

Method 3: Deepfrying.
Boil the potatoes until they are not quite done. Drain them in a colander and shake vigorously. (Wow, I had the spelling of that right at the first try!) The shaking is to get a crunchy crust on them.
Let them cool. Heat up the oil to 180 C (350 F), put some of the potatoes in and leave them in until golden brown. Take them out and leave to drain on a paper kitchen towel.
Don't leave the pan, stay with it. Make sure the potatoes are drained properly before adding them to the oil.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

I'm looking for a recipe for Chewy Marshmallow Peanut Butter Squares. I see a few online, but they use miniature marshmallows that are not fully melted, and that is not what I am looking for. I may just wing it and make something up to see if I can come close.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Marshmallows and peanut butter? Is that a thing?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

Cho wrote:Marshmallows and peanut butter? Is that a thing?
Peanut butter can be a thing with so many things. It's amazing.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

You should try it with apples...
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

The chewy marshmallow squares turned out great! The texture ended up being a little like Turkish Delight, but maybe a bit more stiff. I dusted them with peanut powder and powdered sugar, and I would totally make them again. :)

~ Donnie Yen ~
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

chex wrote:You should try it with apples...
Porridge with peanut butter (the one which is just 100% peanuts) and chocolate spread/nutella, bit of banana and lots of nuts/seeds/whatever I can find in the house is amazing!
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

My bad.. I forgot to share the particular recipe I used for the chewy squares.

Chewy Peanut Squares

small handful butterscotch chips
small handful peanut butter chips
BIG scoop chunky peanut butter (you can use smooth if you like)
1 bag of cheap marshmallows
spoonful each of powdered sugar and powdered peanut butter

Over medium heat melt the chips and the peanut butter. Once they are very liquid, add the marshmallows. Fold and stir until they are completely melted and integrated. Pour into a well-lubed pan, preferably on waxed paper. Let cool. Once cool, cut into fingertip sized pieces (up to you if you want bigger) and dust with mix of powdered sugar and peanut powder.

The measurements are intentionally vague, as this simple candy recipe will change each time you make it, and you should learn a thing or two in the process as to your preferences. Enjoy! :)

~ Donnie Yen ~
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Wasted? Just because it is spicy? Save the meat, freeze it, use it in smaller portions mixed with new stuff.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Making Pau Tsu today, just because I can.

Also called Bao Ji and other names in both Mandarin and Cantonese, they all mean basically the same thing: Little Cannon Ball, Little Ball, Ball of Air, Round Thing.

The recipe I am using:

1/2 LB pork sausage
Chopped water chestnuts, to taste
Fresh chopped/grated ginger root, to taste
Soy sauce
(some people use chives, I am not going to today.)

"Peel and Pop" canned biscuits

Mix the meat and other stuff, spoon a small amount into a flattened biscuit, bring the edges together and pinch to make a little ball. Bump it onto some flour, steam it for 11 minutes. Eat it with soy sauce! Enjoy! :D

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex

Post by chex »

I love making these. I think I'm gonna pick up the ingredients when I do my shopping in a bit.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I need help from you, Food Gurus. I plan to buy a couple pork shoulders tomorrow when I go grocery shopping for the month to make a bunch of pulled pork that I will divide and freeze as necessary. I have a lot of different meals in mind including carnitas, pulled pork sandwiches, pulled pork baked mac, twice baked potatoes, etc.

I'm generally going to be using the following recipe linked below. It calls for white wine. I am not a fan of wine and do not intend on buying a bottle just to make this pork. Instead I will use some chicken broth I already have in the fridge. My question is can I use to same portion amount or do I need to adjust? I am not really sure if there is a different rate in which it cooks or whatever.

Many thanks!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/meli ... ecipe.html
nich
I live here

Post by nich »

If you don't have the temperament to pursue your dreams then no one is going to do it for you.

chex

Post by chex »

Shay, you should be perfectly fine to just sub the broth.
chex

Post by chex »

I love chicken tacos and tortilla soup, but I hate shredding chicken. It takes for-smurf-ever. and is a pain in the bottom. A friend of mine linked me to a video of someone shredding chicken with a hand mixer. Soo much easier! I had it done in under a minute. More tortilla soup for me! :D
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Video please! I'm curious if it would work with a pork shoulder. :D
chex

Post by chex »

I don't see why not. Try it and let me know!

I sent the video in a Facebook message because it was easier.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Thanks! I'm totally going to try it. I was able to find myself a 7lb pork shoulder that fits perfectly into my crockpot. So I will be slow cooking that tomorrow.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Making a pot luck curry today. Taters, green beans, green peppers, a little fresh ginger, some peanut powder and yellow curry paste in coconut milk. Shoved it in the crock pot and turned it on, now I am going to ignore it for a few hours. This is the first time I have used the crock pot! :)

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex

Post by chex »

I just made fried plantains, tomatoes stuffed with ground beef and topped with cheese, and a sort of cross between tacos and empanadas. I folded a little corn tortilla around beef, held it shut with tongs, and fried the entire thing. I served it all with salsa, sour cream, and homemade guacamole. The kids love me right now.