New Charlie and the Chocolate Factory cover

If anybody here reads then you can discuss books and literature here!

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

New Charlie and the Chocolate Factory cover

Post by sizz »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/ch ... ge-factory

I think this is really interesting!

There's been a lot of criticism at this new, apparently 'sexualised' cover of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that's apparently irrelevant to the story and such.

I actually really like the cover (for adults of course, it's obviously too much for the kids version of the book..). Having read Roald Dahl all my life and adored both his children and adult books, i think it really captures the whole spoilt child idea in a disturbing, dark way. And loads of Roald Dahl stuff is incredibly dark. He wrote at least two short story collections which are basically all about sexual exploits of various people which have strange and creepy consequences, he wrote about greed, envy, lust, war, people's fingers being cut off and people dying in disturbing ways. And even in the kids books there are some really creepy moments. Maybe it is a bit lolita-esque and tbh i do have a weakness for anything that provides a shock, but i think its fantastic. I don't think it's sexualised, even though i agree that it is unsettling in a big way, for some strange reason. It's relevant; it shows a deep message of the book that I'm sure he intended.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.