Into the Storm

Review all movies, new or old here! Lots of people on this forum like to talk about movies, so if you have a movie to discuss just make a topic for it! These topics will be full of SPOILERS!
nich
I live here

Into the Storm

Post by nich »

This week I headed downtown after receiving my paycheck. I was submitting resumes to many different stores in the mall. When I was finished I had money so I decided to spend some time by myself and went to see a movie. I had three choices. The first two were the mainstream blockbusters of the month. The new transformers and TMNT reboot. I’m sure you all have watched those two already and I hope you are all enjoying your over top explosions and unimaginative writing because you know… Michael Bay. But then I saw something that interested me. A poster for a movie I never heard about. Into the storm. It’s obviously a smaller film with a lower budget but it did look cool and I felt like I was going on an adventure that day so why choose something generic that everyone’s watching over something new and exciting? Will this be a replacement for your mainstream blockbusters with an insane budget? Not a chance. Go ahead and follow the entertainment bandwagon because Into the Storm is a movie you would watch on a slow day when there’s not “big” to watch. Also if you like movies that are actually good then this is also a safe bet.

Into the Storm is an interesting movie about tornadoes. Just don’t expect anything amazing. It’s good but it is by no means the next Twister and as previously discussed it doesn't have a huge budget. It kind of feels like this was a homemade movie made by a couple of high school students. Well high school students that are very good at CGI at any rate. The funny thing is that’s kind of the charm of the movie. The movie stars two high school teenagers and their father who is the principal at their school and is also very strict. For their graduation ceremony they were given the assignment to record the event for a school video. They also have to do interviews and the ending film would be out in a time capsule and shown back in 25 years. There is also your typical storm chasers trying to film the eye of the tornado (seem familiar?) and a couple of drunken hillbilly daredevils trying to get famous on YouTube. Seeing a trend? Everyone’s got a camera. This is where the very creative gimmick comes into play.

Every single camera shot is a real camera in the universe of the movie. First the camera will be one of the brothers filming and next it will be a security camera in the school. Then it will jump to a random student who had the phone out to record their graduation. The coolest part is the cinematography is done so expertly that you have to be reminded that it’s an actual cameraman in the movie. You can be enjoying a dramatic camera shot following a character as they run from a tornado and all of a sudden that character will look behind him as he’s running telling you to hurry. It will blow your mind as you remember that it’s actually a person running with him and not an imaginary cameraman. It’s treated as a documentary or in some cases a YouTube vlog but at the same time it doubles as a drama film. The footage of the storm chasers, graduation assignment, and the comic relief hillbillies are put together to make the film.

When it comes to production value the movie is decent. It has some very good effects but it’s nothing that will blow you away (Pun totally intended). It’s got some nice CGI effects but these are effects but it’s nothing we've already seen in other tornado movies. To put it in simple words the CGI is good but outdated. On the positive side it’s not over dramatic like your generic action films and its simple and light hearted so it as an artistic touch to it. Don’t get me wrong though. There’s still mass destruction. There was however this one effect that seemed a little bit far fetched when the tornado went over a spreading fire. The tornado then turned into a fire tornado. That was the only part that felt too cheesy. Acting and writing is also pretty average.

Another thing is the movie at times doesn't know what it wants to be. First it’s a horror. Then it’s a comedy. Then it’s a drama or adventure. Also around the beginning it has mature crude humor such as one of the brothers filming a teacher’s cleavage. This isn't a movie for kids but that content only lasts in the start of the film. As soon as the tornado hits all of a sudden the characters grow up. It has genres and aspects that only last in certain scenes and then it’s something completely different. If the movie was more consistent then maybe it would help the pacing a bit more. It also doesn't help that the movie is extremely short. The only thing that’s consistent about the film is the “found footage” concept and its light hearted and simple atmosphere which is what give the movie its charm.

Into the Storm is a simple, light hearted movie. It’s got an interesting concept and decent effects however they are simple and old. There’s also issues with consistency and pacing. However it’s still a good movie if you’re willing to lower your stands a bit. It isn't critically acclaimed material and in no way replaces a big budget blockbuster. But at the same time it isn't generic. It’s new and interesting. If you already finished the mainstream crap give Into the storm a chance. Go one an adventure and try something lesser known and you might get some entertainment on an otherwise slow day.

3.5/5
If you don't have the temperament to pursue your dreams then no one is going to do it for you.

chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Into the Storm

Post by chex »

reaper wrote:It’s good but it is by no means the next Twister
NOTHING could be the next Twister!
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

It is far from being a mainstream blockbuster because it never will be a box office hit. If you are into some light entertainment it might be right up your tornado alley but there is no real plot, it is unrealistic and the characters are shallow.
Better invest the money in a Twister dvd.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Reap, this was a very good review. Better than any you have done so far. Better than your game reviews.

I feel like reading this would actually influence my decision to see the movie if I were stuck with nothing to do.

nice job!
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
nich
I live here

Post by nich »

I don't recall doing a game review.

But thanks. This is my practice to become a writer.
If you don't have the temperament to pursue your dreams then no one is going to do it for you.