Old Navy

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Old Navy

Post by chex »

Normally I love this store, but they're annoying me this year. Every year, I get my kids fleece-lined jeans for Christmas, because it gets damn cold in upstate NY! Two years ago (since they didn't need them last year in CA) I got a pair for CP and a pair for AJ. FL was in the big kid sizes, where the boys jeans had fleece lining, and the girls jeans had a slimmer flannel lining. This year I went to shop for their jeans again, and found some for both AJ and CP, as usual. The girls section had no lined jeans at all. No fleece, no flannel. The boys section has flannel only. Why the smurf is this? Because it's more important for girls to maintain a slim silhouette than it is for them to be warm??? smurf you, Old Navy, and smurf you, over-sexualized society!
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Re: Old Navy

Post by LaLou »

Amen!
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

Couldn't you get her a boys jeans and then girl it up a little with ... I don't know,.... maybe a little lace, or pink buttons or something? I don't mean replace the original buttons with pink ones, I mean sew on pink buttons in random spots. Or another color, one that she favors. That might look really cool.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

I plan on getting her the boys jeans. She'll happily wear them, even without the embellishments. But they're $26, and still only flannel lined. I'll be paying half that for fleece lined jeans for the younger two.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Oh you Americans with your cheap clothes... here you can't get lined jeans (to my knowledge) and even standard ones cost way more than that (my supermarket jeans are about the same price as those ones). Women's jeans are still way more expensive than men's.

In this country there are now rules about how sexualised children's clothes can be, but they still seem pretty lax. Eight year olds in three-inch heels, bikinis (sometimes padded) available for children, and so on. These are examples from 2010, but I'm pretty sure I've seen heels and bikinis for kids since. Oh, and bras for five year olds. I know this is getting off topic, but it's just not right. Girls clothes are in general a lot more clingy than boys' too. Why should a five year old have a bra or a padded bikini? They haven't got anything to support and it's almost suggesting that retailers think it's acceptable for kids to be seen in a sexual light. I suppose you could argue that they are just clothes, but it's the connotations that go with them. And heels are bad for children's feet.

I could rant about this for longer, but I'd better not.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Same with baby clothes and toys. The majority is either pink or light blue. At a toy shop nearby they have a section for girls - all in barbie pink. And glittery.