Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire

Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire

Post by Moe »

I wish KecleonFan was here for me to talk about Pokemon with, but about 10-11 days ago a new Pokemon game was release, which was essentially a remake of their third game.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Re: Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire

Post by Beany »

Hey, I can rave about Pokémon (though I feel the need to point out my computer added the accent, not me).

Even though it's a remake, it's one with their best known Pokémon in and it leads them into making games with new graphics. I haven't played it yet but I've seen screenshots and stuff. My question is, why is it so expensive? They used to be half the price.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

It's $40 here (not sure what that translates to) which is what Nintendo games have generally costed, at least since the Nintendo DS.

Games in general have just gotten more expensive, PC games would always be around $49 compared to condoles which were around $59, now PC games are also $59.

I think that, of all the Pokémon games I've played this one I've out the second most amount of time into (though only half if what I put into FireRed), but of course this one just released.

To be honest, I hadn't played the game this was a remake of in about 5 years, so, except for the occasional "oh! I remember that!" It was almost like a new game to me. It was nice though, I just wish I had been actively into Pokémon back when they made the Gen 2 remakes, because that's the only generation I never played (and now HeartGold/SoulSilver are becoming harder and harder to find, unless you want to spend $80)
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I haven't played any more recent than Pearl, which I never finished (though that was due to a lack of spare time). Here they're selling ORAS at £40 which I'm sure you can tell without knowing the conversion is more expensive than where you are (it's probably around $60).

Sapphire was my first Pokémon game so I'm quite interested to see what this one's like, but at the same time, I'm used to paying £20-£25 max. for a game, not £40. I'll see whether the price drops after Christmas - it was only released here on 28th, but that's still very expensive for a brand new game.

Is Wally in this one?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

He is, yeah.

They improved on his character development a good bit, too.

Personally, I never really liked Wally, but I liked him less in this game them the originals... I didn't like the "I want to be your rival" but "I don't quite know what I'm doing, but your there to help me figure it out" characteristic combination on him, be either one, or the other.
That's how I always looked at him, I guess

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Moe

Post by Moe »

I know its technically a remake, but its also still a new game and its so hard for me to avoid spoiling any parts of it, but I'm trying lol

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Bringing this thread back, now I've actually played the game.

I don't think I've ever been so taken by a Pokemon game. It's brilliant how they introduce the National Pokedex after you beat the Elite Four, and the opportunity to catch so many legendaries is pretty cool. One thing I don't understand though - why do they keep giving Pokemon away via codes? Why not put them in the game?

So far I've caught 263 different Pokemon - aiming to catch as many as I can. Legendaries, I've got Kyogre, Lugia, Entei, Suicune, Raikou, Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Azelf, Mesprit, Heatran, Cobalion, Thundrus, and Diancie. It's a pity the Winged Mirages aren't in this game though. I liked them. Also Mew and Mewtwo. I know you can trade them from the old games, but I don't think I even have the wire for trading on old games anymore, and I lost the weird Wireless block ages ago. I don't have the two games before ORAS either, so that ruins that plan. I know they're trying to make it challenging, but I think that's going a bit far. It annoys me enough that you have to have both Ruby and Sapphire to get all from this region.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

Cho wrote:It annoys me enough that you have to have both Ruby and Sapphire to get all from this region.
This is how pretty much every other game was released too though, Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, Fire Red and Leaf Green, Diamond and Pearl, White and Black... All of them you needed both games to attain all of the Pokemon.

The reasoning I always came up with was: it's so that you can get one and your friend the other, That way you have a 'Rival' to play and trade with.

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I do understand that and I used to work with that when I knew someone with the rival game. But it's irritating that you cannot complete the game on its own. And definitely more annoying that you can't complete your Pokedex if you don't have all the games between the one you want to copy from and ORAS. I have Red and Blue (got them cheap - haven't actually completed them), Sapphire, Leaf Green, Pearl and Alpha Sapphire (though with access to Gold, Ruby and Fire Red). That means I can't transfer anything to AS, simply because I don't own a game from every series, and therefore can't complete my Pokedex without a lot of trading.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Moe

Post by Moe »

Which of the two games did you get

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Moe

Post by Moe »

I stuck my hand deep in the hole...

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I went to play Pokemon White a few months back because I had the itch to finish the game shortly after I mentioned somewhere about not being able to beat Elite Four. But I was seriously disappointed to find out that they had decommissioned the Global Link and I could no longer access the Dream World. This was one of my favorite features of the game because I could get a random pokemon I would not normally be able to get in the game. Highly disappointed that the online features were no longer available, I succumbed to buying a 3DS. I really considered getting ORAS, but they were still kinda pricey being the newest Pokemon games, so I ended up just buying X and Y. Apparently I have quite a few neighbors in this apartment building that have ORAS though. I always bump into them on Street Pass. So I'm kinda bummed I didn't just go ahead and get at least one of ORAS.