Foods around the world.

Don't lie. You're singing the song now, aren't you?

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Foods around the world.

Post by chex »

I really miss traveling, and I want to get some more culture into my kids. Fortunately, I love to cook! :D I've talked to the kids about my latest idea, and they're excited. I want to cook foods from a new country or region each weekend, and learn a bit about that area. Virtual traveling! Apple Jack wants to start with Germany, and Froot Loop wants to start with France. I think I'm going to start with German foods, because I want some Kroketten.

So, I'm looking for some help from our non-American members. Do you have any suggestions for traditional foods in your area? (Or other areas you're knowledgeable about!)

For Germany, I plan on making Wienerschnitzel and Kroketten, but would love something more to go with it. I may pick up a "German" beer from Walmart, just for me, lol. And I'm contemplating making that our lunch, with a light breakfast and dinner.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Re: Foods around the world.

Post by LaLou »

Are kroketten German? I thought they were Dutch.
I'll post some recipes when my hand has healed and typing is easier.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

You know the German food. :P But your kids might not like Sauerkraut.
With the Kroketten, you could have some veggies, peas and baby carrots, steam cooked with some herb butter.
Oh, and Knödel! And spaghetti ice.
chex

Post by chex »

I was a vegetarian. I missed all the good stuff! :lol: I really should make them at least try sauerkraut. And the veggies with the krauterbutter is a good idea. Make them eat something mostly healthy. :D
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Yes, and you (or rather your kids) make the butter yourselves!
Let me know if you want any special recipes. What your kids might like too are Käsespätzle. Homemade pasta, backed with hearty cheese and fried onions. Along with that some salad.

LaLou, what happened with your hand?
chex

Post by chex »

Ooh, yes they would! Full German weekend. Woohoo! :D
chex

Post by chex »

Lal, I hope your hand is better soon!
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Here's a video on how to make the Spätzle. Basically you need flour, eggs, a pinch of salt and some sparkling water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6Ga9hMm4Y
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I had a ganglion cyst on the inside of my wrist which was surgically removed.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I can help you out with Spain and possibly India at some point if you like, though I'll have to try to find the names of half of the dishes.

This is a brilliant idea.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex

Post by chex »

Ooh, yes please! Both are areas I have no experience with, food-wise, but would love to try!
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

I can do Thai :P and er, british.

A couple weeks ago George and I did a dinner party where most of the food was moroccan and we cooked I think 7 dishes?! And despite the fact we're not good cooks, it all tasted decent according to the friends we cooked for, so I would recommend moroccan food.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
chex

Post by chex »

I was hoping you'd chime in, sizzle! :D
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

I hope you take lots of pics of your food.
chex

Post by chex »

Anything that ends up being pic worthy, lol.
chex

Post by chex »

My apologies for not taking pictures, but lunch was delicious! We had Schnitzel (the kids had a lemon wedge with it, and I had mushroom gravy), Kroketten, carrots with Krauterbutter, and Sauerkraut. FL and AJ loved the Kroketten, and CP's favorite was the carrots. I had a friend join us for lunch, and both he and I loved it all. Day one of German food has been a success!
chex

Post by chex »

Hey, Cho, you're up! :lol: Next week is French food, but AJ wants Spanish food after that. I did a tiny bit of research today, and FL likes the look of Basque eggs. That's all we got. I wish I wasn't the only one old enough for Sangria!
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

The most popular traditional Spanish foods are paella (most commonly chorizo, chicken, squid, prawns, peas and (I think) mussels; though it's up to personal taste), and tortilla Espanola (it's a potato omelette, sometimes containing ham or something similar) - this can also be served cold as a sandwich filling.

Jamon serrano is very popular over there, and according to my Spanish friend it can be eaten on its own in large quantities (though I don't think the majority of Spain do that). I imagine it's in any supermarket, though usually pricey.

If you can get any, Turron is a Spanish sweet, most popular in its chocolate form. The best translation I can get for it is chocolate flavoured nougat - often containing either hazelnuts, almonds or rice crispies. There's a whole one supermarket that sells it here, so I don't know how successful that will be.

Fabada asturiana is a bean stew with chorizo, pork and black pudding. I've never had this, but (as weird as it sounds) I studied it as part of my GCSE.

Gazpacho is a cold tomato soup(y thing). It's more of a drink than a meal, but perhaps served with Serrano ham would make a light dish.

The only other thing that immediately springs to mind is strange croquette things... I've only ever had processed ones which aren't nice, but rather than the common potato-filled ones, they're often filled with cheese. The ones I had were cheese and ham, but you get all sorts of varieties.

I forgot Churros! They're like long, hot doughnuts coated in sugar and often served with a hot chocolately sauce/drink. They're one of the best Spanish foods. As for other desserts, Spaniards are quite big fans of fresh fruit, though they do often have sweet things for breakfast, such as magdalenas or rice pudding.

I'll grill my Spanish friend for more ideas, but that's all that springs to mind. None of it should take long to prepare - due to the heat, most things are cooked as quickly as possible. Let me know if any of this isn't clear or you want any other ideas. Also, if you ever want an easy weekend, try Cuba. The most complicated recipes they have are for cocktails.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex

Post by chex »

Thank you, so much, Cho! I wasn't all that excited when AJ suggested Spain, but I can't wait, now.

I have the Käsespätzle in the oven now. It was not easy to make, but it was fun! :D
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

I think Cho is basically a spanish local here but a couple of things:

I think saffron is the main thing in paella. Also, they're also really big on tapas, taking things taking things like calamari, meatballs - basically any snack-ish dishes which you can make lots of different ones of quickly. Also also if you mix melted chocolate with cornflour and milk then you get the chocolatey drink that Cho was talking about that goes with churros. Its so easy but incredibly rich- basically really thick hot chocolate.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.