Foods around the world.

Don't lie. You're singing the song now, aren't you?

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

Shay
recuerdame

Re: Foods around the world.

Post by Shay »

I would really like to try the beef wellington and the Käsespätzle. They look absolutely delicious! The rest look good too, but those two really stand out to me. If I ever get to make another trip up there, I will totally buy the tenderloin. :D
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

Shay, you are welcome any time. You know that.

I think I may have found an affordable way to manage a beef wellington with tenderloin. I learned last night that a T-bone steak is essentially comprised of tenderloin and New York strip, so if I can manage a two pack of T-bones, I can take them apart, use the tenderloins to make two little beef wellingtons (actually, FL and I would each make one, side by side) and the strip steak in a different dinner. None of the kids eat much meat (they usually prefer vegetables) so for the cost of two T-bone steaks, a box of puff pastry, and a small package of prosciutto, I can have two full dinners. (I always have potatoes and veggies on hand anyway, so I'm not counting that.) I think I can swing that!
chex

Post by chex »

Ireland today! We had boiled ham, colcannon, and soda bread. It was good, and definitely hearty, but the flavors weren't complex enough for me. I'll be doing Americanized Irish food in the form of Guinness corned beef on St Paddy's Day.
chex

Post by chex »

Damn, Czech food is awesome. We had roast pork with cabbage and knedliky. When the six-year-old is devouring cabbage, you know it's a good recipe. :lol:
chex

Post by chex »

I have yassa chicken marinating in my fridge now for our trip to Senegal tonight. I'm excited! :D
chex

Post by chex »

I'm hoping for India next week, if anyone has thoughts.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Papadams, Chicken Tikka Masala and Mango Lassi.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

Chicken Tikka Masala is classed as a British food these days. though whether it was originally Indian or Scottish, nobody knows. Scotland are trying to claim it.

Gulab jamun are apparently nice - they're a Bengali dish. I really don't know how to describe them... they're sort of doughy milk balls in syrup. I've never tried them myself, because they do not look appetising when presented in a tin, but apparently they're meant to taste good.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex

Post by chex »

How authentic is coconut curry shrimp? I have the stuff for that already! :lol:
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

Just make a nice curry- the best way to do it is literally just using a lotttt of different spices. And they taste even better as leftovers than they do on the day you cook them

Apparently Chicken Tikka Masala was created when some British person thought chicken tikka was too dry and a tin of tomato soup was added. I'm pretty sure this isn't true but makes a funny story nonetheless.

Onion Bhajis are really easy to make, and homemade ones taste so much better than ones you buy from the supermarket.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
chex

Post by chex »

Froot Loop has requested a trip to Turkey, and Apple Jack has requested a trip to Denmark. I love that they still want to do this! :D