Count down from 2016 with real world facts!

This is for forum posting games if you're extra bored and there's nothing to do and you feel like you need to lower your IQ a bit. enjoy!

Moderator: bella

Clarence
Game Destroyer

Re: Count down from 2015 with real world facts!

Post by Clarence »

The shortest war in recorded history, the Anglo-Zanzibar War, starts at 9 in the morning and lasts for 45 minutes of shelling.

Damn, I had longer battles with my wife :P
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Voleyball!

Yes, volleyball is invented by William G. Morgan. He wanted a sport less intense than Basketball.
Now it is played in gymnasiums and on beaches around the world!
It is a main draw during the Summer Olympics, and Ninja and I cannot be beat playing Super Spike V'Ball on the old Nintendo system.

Clarence: my Great Grand Mother was was born on this year and I attended her 100th birthday when I was 10 :)

P.S. Zot, in that video game pic one of those guys has no legs and it's concerning.

Handicapped people are allowed to play, too.

You can play if you want! http://www.8bbit.com/play/super-spike-vball/859

Are you calling me handicapped?
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

For the first time, Coca-Cola is sold in bottles.

And for that added kick, Coca-Cola used to have COCAINE in it until 1903!!!

Now that's the good coke!
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Webb C. Ball introduces railroad chronometers, which become the general railroad timepiece standards in North America.

Gasp!!!!

Great great Grandpa could it be ???

"Webster Clay Ball"

Yeah no wonder he went by Webb C..... "Clay Ball" .... that's unfortunate

P.S. I'm thinking of naming my kids Crystal or Harry.

Focus Clarence, focus!!

Railroad chronometers, or Railroad Standard Watches, are specialized timepieces that once were crucial for safe and correct operation of trains in many countries. A system called Timetable and Train Order, which relied on highly accurate timekeeping, was used to ensure that two trains could not be on the same stretch of track at the same time.

My Grandfather used to always have a pocket watch like this in his shirt pocket, I still have it!!

P.S I'm having a great time traveling back through time with topic and it gets more fun and interesting for me the further back I go. I never would have known many of these things otherwise. Come on people play along it's free :P You too might have a distant relative who invented something!!
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Ellis Island, in New York Harbor, was the gateway for over 12 million immigrants to the United States as the nation's busiest immigrant inspection station from 1892 until 1954

It's also the site where Magneto tried to use that machine to turn people to mutants in the first X-Men film!!!

Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

James Naismith invents basketball!!

He was really just trying to come up with something that would work out all parts of the body for his gym class

I actually worked with his great grandson at a grocery story and he was into basketball hard, in tournaments etc, super skinny guy.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Canadian-born boxer George Dixon defeats the British bantamweight champion in London, giving him claim to be the first black world champion in any sport.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

- German warships and American warships keep each other at bay in a standoff in Apia harbor, ending when a cyclone blows in.

- Also the Eiffel Tower opens!

People thought it was ugly at first too

- Also the year Adolph Hitler is born :(

- Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Washington all become states! Here's what the flag looked like before that:

LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

August 31 – Whitechapel murders: The mutilated body of London prostitute Mary Ann Nichols is found. She is considered the first victim of Jack the Ripper.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Anne Sullivan begins teaching Helen Keller.

Helen Adams Keller was an American author, political activist, and lecturer. She was the first deafblind person to earn a bachelor of arts degree.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

American pharmacist Dr. John Pemberton invents a carbonated beverage that will be named Coca-Cola.

And so it begins!!

----

Also France Gives the United States the Statue of Liberty as a gift!

A now super prominent American icon, which was never ignored, even though they renamed "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries" that time :P
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Some medical stuff:

- The first successful appendectomy is performed by Dr. William W. Grant on Mary Gartside.

- Louis Pasteur and Émile Roux successfully test their rabies vaccine. The patient is Joseph Meister, a boy who was bitten by a rabid dog.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

January 18 – Dr. William Price attempts to cremate his dead baby son, Iesu Grist, in Wales. Later tried and acquitted on the grounds that cremation is not contrary to English law, he is thus able to carry out the ceremony (the first in the United Kingdom in modern times) on March 14, setting a legal precedent.

Clarence: This also marks 100 years before I existed!! 11 years before my Great Grandmother was born.
LaLou: It was also 100 years before I got married.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

On May 24th the Brooklyn Bridge is opened to traffic after 13 years of construction...

6 days later, May 30th: a rumor that the Brooklyn Bridge is going to collapse causes a stampede which crushes 12 people.

Humans can be paranoid sometimes, right? The bridge is still standing today and is fine. It's where the Green Goblin killed Spider Man's girlfriend!!

Also

Eruption of Krakatoa - VEI 6 level volcanic eruption that messed up weather all over the world for a few years!

It was said that the eruption could be heard halfway around the world.

Ha! I knew you would have a comment about this :)
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Old West outlaw Jesse James is shot in the back of the head and killed by Robert Ford.

oops wrong picture

--------------------

Also: Thomas Edison flips the switch to the first commercial electrical power plant in history, lighting one square mile of lower Manhattan. This is considered by many as the day that began the electrical age.

I could not let an Edison reference go without a Tesla reference....

Tesla briefly worked for Edison, and many of Tesla's ideas were used by Edison. They parted ways, and Tesla
continued experiments on Alternating Current, or AC, which is what we use today. Edison had stuck in his
small mind that Direct Current, or DC, was the way to go. He (Edison) was more driven by money than innovation.

But I Digress... as you were.....
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

April 28: Billy the Kid escapes from his 2 jailers at the Lincoln County Jail in Mesilla, New Mexico, killing James Bell and Robert Ollinger before stealing a horse and riding out of town.

Not long after, July 14: Billy the Kid is shot and killed by Pat Garrett outside Fort Sumner.

-------------

March 4 – Inauguration of James A. Garfield as the 20th President of the United States.

July 2 - four months into presidency he is shot by lawyer Charles J. Guiteau in Washington, D.C. The wound becomes infected; killing Garfield on September 19.

Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

The Dorchester Penitentiary opens in Dorchester, New Brunswick, my province. I drove by this a few times!

It used to be maximum security but they moved all the scarier inmates to a new more secure facility in Renous, NB. Since The Dorchester Penitentiary was too run down for the maximum security peoples it's now for minimum security.

And now for some Thomas Edison facts from 1880! :

- February – The journal Science is first published in the United States with financial backing from Thomas Edison.

- February 24 - The SS Columbia, which will be the first outside usage of Thomas Edison's incandescent light bulb, is launched at the Delaware River Iron Ship Building and Engine Works of John Roach & Sons in Chester, Pennsylvania.

- May 2 – After having her lights installed by Edison's personnel, the SS Columbia is lit up for the first time at the foot of Wall Street in New York City.

- May 13 – In Menlo Park, New Jersey, Thomas Edison performs the first test of his electric railway.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Using a filament of carbonized thread, Thomas Edison tests the first practical electric light bulb (it lasts 13½ hours before burning out).

Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

The phonograph is patented by Thomas Edison.

Is there anything this hero can't do? So dreamy!
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

January 8 – American Indian Wars – Battle of Wolf Mountain: Crazy Horse and his warriors fight their last battle with the United States Cavalry in Montana.

May 6 – Realizing that his people are weakened by cold and hunger, Chief Crazy Horse of the Oglala Sioux surrenders to United States troops in Nebraska.

September 5 – Crazy Horse is bayoneted by a United States soldier, after resisting confinement in a guardhouse at Fort Robinson in Nebraska.

---- also ----

Great Railroad Strike of 1877: Riots by Baltimore and Ohio Railroad railroad workers in Baltimore lead to a sympathy strike and rioting in Pittsburgh, and a full-scale worker's rebellion in St. Louis, briefly establishing a Communist government before U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes calls in the armed forces.