Cheap Pasta Meals

Don't lie. You're singing the song now, aren't you?

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

Shay
recuerdame

Cheap Pasta Meals

Post by Shay »

With recent events, I'm kinda poor again. I have zero "fun" money each month as I'm on an extremely strict budget for probably the next 6-12 months unless I get this job I just applied for with the Dept. of Education. Anyway, I bought a 36pk of Ramen from Sam's Club for like $0.14 a pk, although I don't actually like the flavoring packets that come with it. I usually just use the noodles for cheap pasta meals. But honestly, I have never really adventured with pasta outside of mac & cheese, spaghetti, and chicken noodle soup. I could definitely use some ideas and suggestions for cheap ways to make my pasta more appealing! (Although, I'll never get tired of cheesy ramen :D)
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Cheap Pasta Meals

Post by chex »

I added shredding chicken and a can of Ro-Tel (well, the Walmart knock off) into mac n cheese tonight. We topped it with sour cream and added crushed corn chips.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Ooh, that does sound pretty good! I will have to try that. I completely forgot there is such a thing as canned chicken. I contemplated getting a rotisserie chicken from Sam's. They're so huge and less than $5, but the downside is I can't really buy those in bulk and have them last forever. Canned chicken would definitely work in that regard.
chex

Post by chex »

Ew. Buy a whole chicken (raw) take it apart yourself, and freeze it. You can use the carcass for broth, too. It's actually not that difficult.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I have absolutely zero idea how to make a broth from a carcass. ._. Chex, I'm gonna need you to go on ahead and move out here with me so I can learn to cook. Lol
chex

Post by chex »

If you don't have a crock pot, get one from Goodwill or something. (I got a $10 pasta machine from there, and they normally run about $70-$90). After you take apart the bird, toss the carcass in the crockpot with water. Cut up an onion, and maybe add some poultry seasoning. Let it cook over night. Strain it in the morning. You can pick off more meat while you strain it, too, and save it for soup.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

As a total bachelor, I have done interesting things regarding food. For example: if it has three or more ingredients, it is casserole. Mac -n- cheese plus chili = bachelor chow. Mac-n-cheese plus a can of tuna and a bag of frozen veggies? Tuna Casserole! Mac-n-cheese plus half a jar of salsa? Fiesta Mac!

Also, Mushroom Soup can be your savior in the kitchen. CampBells makes regular Cream of Mushroom, they also make Golden Mushroom. Cream of Mushroom plus Uncle Ben's minute rice = mushroom risotto! (close enough...) A cup of rice and a can of soup and two cans of water in a 9 x 13 pan with some chicken parts, bake for 45 min at 350 and you get Baked Chicken and Rice. Oh, maybe use a smaller pan for that one.

Anyway, I have many more cheap and tasty foods. We can chat later if you like.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I used those Ramen to make a complete meal. First soak the Ramen in some boiled water. Stir fry some chicken or pork or fish of whatever protein you like, add some fresh vegies, whatever you like (vegetables for soup are great), add the flavoring that is in the package, add the soaked (drained!) noodles and bazinga, a good, balanced meal in under 15 minutes.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I second Lalou's suggestion of stir fries. I went shopping for stir fry ingredients today and got a lettuce, spring onions and mushrooms for £2.78, most of which I didn't use tonight. The problem is meat though. Can easily cost the same amount or more than all the other ingredients put together, and for much less of it, though perhaps frozen meat is cheaper. It's much easier to buy a large bag of cashews and toast a handful.

But it's always fun to look at what you happen to have in your cupboards/freezer and see what you can make with them.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

You guys rock! I really appreciate the suggestions. Does anyone know how to make tuna casserole? I remember my grandma used to make it all the time and I loved it, but I have no idea what's all in it except tuna, noodles, and peas. Maybe... cream of mushroom? I have no clue. But I am definitely going to add all these things to my list to try.
chex

Post by chex »

I've used alfredo sauce.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

A quick Google suggested this recipe, using cream of mushroom soup: http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes ... role-24254
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆