Winter Driving is scary

This is for anything that has nothing to do with my game, bored stop by and chat a while

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

Clarence
Game Destroyer

Winter Driving is scary

Post by Clarence »

The wife is having a party where you sell candles and candle warmers and smells and etc etc

Woman thing

I plan to hide in my office.

But I have to pick up some people, like my Mom and cousin who live on the other side of town.

The party is still a go but there's 10-15 CM of snow happening (canada measurements do the conversions yourself)

I'm concerned because I suck at this. I almost never drive in the winder and especially during a snow. My Grandfather used to not let me drive ....

frik

So I have a good car with winter tires and all that and people are saying the roads are getting slick

I'm more scared about everyone else on the road. I don't trust the shazam! out of anyone.

TLDR:

Help me get confidence to drive in scary winter times
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Re: Winter Driving is scary

Post by Clarence »

Update: She cancelled the party

It was all her I never told her I was freaking out lol
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

When it's fresh snow it's not so bad, only when it's melting and then freezing again, driving can be tricky. Just make sure to keep enough distance and that your brakes work fine. Sometimes the snow can accumulate and the brakes react weird then.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Good luck! I hate driving in the winter as well. I ride a bus and walk to work in the winter for that very reason. And if we have to go out anywhere, Brandon does the driving. Although, not because I can't, just because I don't like to.
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

We don't get very deep snow, but we don't have winter tyres either, and sheet ice doesn't need to be thick to be bad. On average in icey conditions, I'll probably drive past 3 -4 vehicles per day in hedges and ditches, or parked by the side of the road with the front or back smashed in (average day I spend 10-12 hours on the road) Which probably works out to 200+ per winter

It sucks. Not only the slippery aspect, but also because i'm always running late, so when I drive to work, and again a few hours later when the vehicle's been parked outside not being used. I have to drive with the mirrors frosted over and the windscreen completely misted up. I scrape the ice off, but don't have time to wait for the engine to heat up. So I usually do several miles before it warms up enough to clear the mist from the glass. Which means I start out with my chin on the steering wheel, looking through the little gap at the bottom of the windscreen that clears first
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

The ice isn't so much of a problem, the issue is more the mist on the inside. After I scrape the ice off, and get in the vehicle, my breath either adds to the condensation on the inside of the windscreen, or actually freezes on the inside of the glass. If I had 5 minues spare to clear it properly I would, but i'm generally late for something by the time I get to the vehicle
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I always had this problem in my Mustang. My mustang did not warm up quickly. When it sat idle, it could take anywhere from 30-45 minutes to warm up. When it was actually being driven, the time frame was about 15-30 minutes, so it made more sense for me to just drive it because I didn't have that kind of time to let it warm. I always ended up driving one-handed, including on sharp turns, so that my other hand could be cupped tightly over my nose and mouth in attempts to block out some of my breath from freezing/fogging up the windshield.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

How's the weather up there, anyone snowed in yet? We had black ice over night.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

The blizzard is missing me completely. YAY!!!
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

That's a lot of snow.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

That Nissan has a hat.....

My hubby has a cloth on which he put some dish soap. He keeps it in a plastic bag in the car. With this cloth he cleans the inside of the windows. The dish soap prevents the condensation, or if it happens anyway, cleans it in no time.