Kill Bill is an Awesome movie!

Review all movies, new or old here! Lots of people on this forum like to talk about movies, so if you have a movie to discuss just make a topic for it! These topics will be full of SPOILERS!
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Kill Bill is an Awesome movie!

Post by Clarence »

Discuss
Wesley
GOD

Re: Kill Bill is an Awesome movie!

Post by Wesley »

I have strong opinions about this. Opinions are not facts, and I fear that I may try to use various bullying techniques to make people see things my way. This is not my intention.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

I saw it once. Over a decade ago. I liked it, but don't know how I'd feel if I watched it today.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

lol @ Zot

Just come out with it already, I'm very interested to hear what you have to say
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

I've been watching Kung Fu movies since before I hit Puberty. I can't tell you the number of them that I've seen, but it is in the hundreds. When Mr T came along and decided to make Kill Bill, he said it was a modern Kung Fu movie; an homage to Kung Fu movies. In my opinion, that is febreeze, and I will cite a couple of examples.

Pai Mei was allegedly 400 years old, crazy Taoist Kung Fu Master. Okay. Even so, he can't break the laws of physics. In the classic movies Mr T claims to be referencing, they did some cool stuff, but it was still physically possible... or sometimes tweaked a little. When Pai Mei jumped over Kiddoe's head and landed on the sword... okay, hooray, he is very talented. But NO WAY could she hold up a 400 year old Kung Fu Master! With one hand! Bah!

On the subject of Pai Mei... if he is wise enough and skilled enough to be 400 years old, no smurf way in the great grey green Limpopo River would he allow himself to be poisoned by some one-eyed trollop. "Odorless and colorless..." smurf you. He would taste that shazam!, concentrate a little and shoot it out of his pores! Or he would mix up some herbal antidote. Or he would tell how it changed the smell of the rest of the food, even though the poison itself was odorless, and he would know and not eat the shazam!. Or he would see in Daryl Hannah's posture and body language that she was plotting something. It is like the first time a toddler tries to lie to an adult; they think they are so smart, they forgot that they still have chocolate on their face while they tell you they did not eat the Easter candy.

Now then, that stupid finger-tip punch thing. smurf that. 100% smurf that nonsense. Like, what... if you don't touch the thing with your fingers first, then the punch will lose all its power? smurf you.

Lastly, the dialog. In Mr T's movies, the dialog is always a character of its own. Nobody in the history of ever has talked like that. Nobody could possibly be that cool. "Cool."

When I watched this movie, all I wanted to do was go watch a REAL Kung Fu movie to erase this shazam! from my brain. Also, David Carradine irks me. Always has. Not just because he was the tool with which Hollywood smurf Bruce Lee, but because he monetized that crap throughout the 80s and 90s. A friend of mine was given his David Carradine Tai Chi video for x-mas one year, and she watched a few minutes of it, then she said she had to throw it in the garbage rather that give it to a second hand store and risk that some poor unsuspecting fool would watch it and thing that was actually Tai Chi.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

LMAO thanks for the review lol

Well I never watched much Kung Fu movies so I wasn't tainted by the experience. I didn't take it too seriously and thought it was fun.

Ever see Kung Pow! Enter the Fist?

LOL
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

smurf you.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Seriously, Kung Pow! Enter the Fist is a hilarious parody of these type of films and the way they are dubbed etc.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

In my opinion, it is too over the top, and crosses the line from parody to mockery.

Also, the quality is low. Essentially, the movie is shazam!.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

GreatZot wrote:In my opinion, it is too over the top, and crosses the line from parody to mockery.

Also, the quality is low. Essentially, the movie is shazam!.
The low quality is the whole point of the joke parody they're making.

I don't consider it an insult to other Kung Fu movies but a funny parody.

Damn don't mess with Zot and his Kung Fu movies lol

:)
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

If you are a movie person, think Troma -vs- Hammer. Hammer was low quality, but high values in acting, story, direction, etc. Troma has a relatively big budget, but they figure "smurf it" and make their movie as zany as they care to, knowing in their heart that they are making a crappy movie. Now, crappy movies can be quite fun and enjoyable. They can also be laborious and taxing.

Oh, just thought of a wonderful example! Black Dynamite is an amazing movie which simultaneously pays respect to and pokes fun at Blacksploitation movies and 70s kung-fu movies alike. You can tell it came from a place of love, and the intentional low quality does not detract from the movie one iota.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

GreatZot wrote:If you are a movie person, think Troma -vs- Hammer. Hammer was low quality, but high values in acting, story, direction, etc. Troma has a relatively big budget, but they figure "smurf it" and make their movie as zany as they care to, knowing in their heart that they are making a crappy movie. Now, crappy movies can be quite fun and enjoyable. They can also be laborious and taxing.

Oh, just thought of a wonderful example! Black Dynamite is an amazing movie which simultaneously pays respect to and pokes fun at Blacksploitation movies and 70s kung-fu movies alike. You can tell it came from a place of love, and the intentional low quality does not detract from the movie one iota.
Never saw these movies :/
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Ah... my bad. I am kind of an balloon knot like that. I have seen many movies, not just kung-fu, but all kinds. And I have a very good memory. So when someone makes a reference to another movie, I get it. Even if it was unintentional, or they were trying to steal a scene and thought nobody would know. I KNOW! Tarantino pulls that shazam! all the time... he relies on the fact that much of his fan base is newer, younger, and they have not seen millions of movies, so nobody will know when he rips off a small-time Italian getaway movie scene for scene and calls it Reservoir Dogs instead.

If I were more naiive, I would enjoy movies more.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

GreatZot wrote:Ah... my bad. I am kind of an balloon knot like that. I have seen many movies, not just kung-fu, but all kinds. And I have a very good memory. So when someone makes a reference to another movie, I get it. Even if it was unintentional, or they were trying to steal a scene and thought nobody would know. I KNOW! Tarantino pulls that shazam! all the time... he relies on the fact that much of his fan base is newer, younger, and they have not seen millions of movies, so nobody will know when he rips off a small-time Italian getaway movie scene for scene and calls it Reservoir Dogs instead.

If I were more naiive, I would enjoy movies more.
lol, I guess I'm one of Tarantino's stupid audience members :P
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Nope. Being naiive is not the same as being stupid. You like movies, obviously. And you are nicer -- you judge less. It is noble.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

GreatZot wrote:Nope. Being naiive is not the same as being stupid. You like movies, obviously. And you are nicer -- you judge less. It is noble.
Actually sometimes I can be super critical and picky with movies / TV shows to the point it annoys people and they tell me I should just shut up and enjoy the show lol

But I really don't watch that many movies and missed out on some very important, iconic and cultural significant ones.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Not too late to start....

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

GreatZot wrote:Not too late to start....
Yes it is, I have a terrible time sitting though movies most of the time, too long, no time to comit.
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

Haven't watched a movie at home in a million years

And I hardly go to theaters

Did see Star Wars but only cause of Tee's brother :P
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I tried to watch it once and I couldn't get past the first half hour. All my friends raved about it, so I gave it another go probably a couple years later. This time I made myself watch the whole thing, and still I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. It's just not my kind of movie, I guess.