Spammers

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
bella
the two timer

Spammers

Post by bella »

Dear spammers,

first of all let me tell you that you suck. You come here in the vain effort to post your crap; info on where to buy cheap shoes or bags might still be acceptable to some degree (who the hell can afford to buy Manolo Blahnik shoes anyway?) but you can keep all the nasty pics and links to yourself. They are going to be deleted asap anyway. So why even make the effort of posting them? It's wasted time and wasted space. I know that most of you are automated spam bots and won't even read this post but just in case you do let me tell you we're gonna kick your bottom.
You spam - we ban.

Yours sincerely,
bella

spam exterminator for more than a year now and proud of it
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Spammers

Post by chex »

Damn right, bells!

Except for the part about the pics. Those can get PMd to me.
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

Yay! Bella ! I like it when you get med in your own chilling special way 8-)
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

but you can keep all the nasty pics and links to yourself.... so that's what all the links n crap were about !!!!

I tried to do this whole anti-spam thing on another site, but I had to just quit it 'cause two spammers were givving me crap about it. :o
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

That is like a criminal blaming the police for getting arrested!
But spammers suck anyway, so only a stupid person gives a damn about what they think.
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

Did youCough calledCough Clovvachcough Stupid?!
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

I don't think she did, she just implied that noone cares about a spammer's opinion.
Clovvach, if the spammers bugged you, why haven't they been banned?
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

On a site I know well, I report lots of people, but the official mods are in Finland and are either on holiday or never on the forums. So we're getting clans of spammers.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex

Post by chex »

That's why we're awesome. With mods in so many different time zones, spam never lasts more than half an hour here!
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

It lasts that long??? Normally it's gone in 10 minutes!
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex

Post by chex »

That's what she said.

It only lasts that long on the rare occasion none of the mods are on.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I've had a slightly wacko idea. Maybe you could link this page to all spammers so that they can't view the forums, but only this topic?
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

And how should this be realized? That's near to impossible since you can't tell in advance who is going to spam and who not. And most of the time spammers only visit this site once.
chex

Post by chex »

Amusing idea in theory, though.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

bella wrote:I don't think she did, she just implied that noone cares about a spammer's opinion.
Clovvach, if the spammers bugged you, why haven't they been banned?
The part of the site they were giving crap was not moderated, so basically you can say what you want... but I deleted their posts anyway.

Newgrounds is a site that I was trying to help. Newgrounds was a site where people submit their cartoons and games to, (Clarence has his account here: http://c-tall.newgrounds.com/), but there are some people who decide it would be funny to post crappy, offensive, racist, or illegal material to the site. That's sad in the first place, but what makes it even sadder is that some of it gets voted on highly so that it steals awards that normal games and cartoons should have gotten. Now I decided to announce that I was going to try to bring down the scores of the spam-submissions, so that this wouldn't happen. I know that my attempt would be small, but may be someone else would see my post and try to do the same thing, creating a bigger force. A spammer named Slash-firestorm (he submitted crappy submissions that stole awards) tried to stop me. He used insults to prove his point, soon him and some other guy tried to convince me about not doing it. I didn't know you could delete posts at the time, so I tried explaining to them why spamming was wrong like I would explain why going on a massacre is wrong to a 2-year-old (why? because if anyone else saw it, then my post might of had the reverse effect) , but after a while my explanations turned in to arguments and my arguments turned into rants, so I just disabled them from commenting... but that still wasn't enough. One of them continuously PMed me until I had to ban him from doing that too, and by then, I'm pretty sure the post had done nothing positive... :x

All came out well though, for sometime after I noticed Newgrounds doing something about it. Spammers who did the bad things were banned, and spam was often deleted regardless of score, pretty much the only spam remaining were the low-scored crappy submissions that were worth a laugh. In the end Newgrounds became a better place...

Long story, I know, but that clears up alot :mrgreen:
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

So in the end, all turned out to be as it should be.
And maybe you contributed more to that then might seem at first sight.
Effie wrote:Did youCough calledCough Clovvachcough Stupid?!
What Bella said...
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Then these were not the spammers I had in mind. The ones I meant here are those who try to sell you stuff like videos, shoes or bags, etc. When regular users spam it gets a bit more difficult. It seems though that it was worth your effort.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I notice that in Clovvach's description of Newgrounds, he mentions Clarence's account but not his. He is someplaceelse atm.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

Alialialia wrote:I notice that in Clovvach's description of Newgrounds, he mentions Clarence's account but not his. He is someplaceelse atm.
Yah, I didn't include that because I didn't think any one would care about my Newgrounds acount. :lol:
bella wrote:Then these were not the spammers I had in mind. The ones I meant here are those who try to sell you stuff like videos, shoes or bags, etc. When regular users spam it gets a bit more difficult. It seems though that it was worth your effort.
Yah, you're right, but the ones on Newgrounds and the ones have one thing in common:

They aren't a good part of the internet.