Out with the old...

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
Wesley
GOD

Out with the old...

Post by Wesley »

In with the new, right?

I dunno, I am torn about this. One one hand, change is good. Change is progress. Change is inevitable. On the other hand, I poured a good deal of myself into the other forum. I had some nice rants, chats, random posts, philosophical ramblings, etc. I have not copied very many of my posts over to this forum, and I don't know if I am going to do so. I am sad to see some of those posts go, but since they were from me, I am still me and I still have that stuff, right? How important is it to have the actual post versus the memory of an enjoyable exchange. Like the time I suggested Clarence try apples with peanut butter and he suggested I try barbeque sauce in milk. That was pretty damn funny, but since I remember it, is that enough? I am going to give this serious contemplation for a day or two and then decide if I want to copy a bunch of my posts and responses from there to here... or just let them fade from the forum and only exist in memory.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Re: Out with the old...

Post by chex »

There's so much I want to save. Some of it is getting copied over, and some of it I'm saving to a word doc on my computer. I like having the actual posts.
Blondie
Founder of the NEL Arms

Post by Blondie »

I have saved quite a few of my pm's. :wink:
Just reposted them to myself on here, and dated them.
Oh God that sounds sad. It took ages too.
But some of my posts are really special. :P
Image This is not America. No, this is not. Sha la la la la
(Bowie)
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

Blondie wrote:I have saved quite a few of my pm's. :wink:
Just reposted them to myself on here, and dated them.
Oh God that sounds sad. It took ages too.
That's exactly what I did, lol!
UnknownSoldier
Captain America / Assistant Game Tester

Post by UnknownSoldier »

I must admit when I first read this thread, my reaction was long and went into great detail about leaving the past behind you. It is the memories that matter. The post took up a great deal of a page and went on and on about how you cannot live in both the past and present. The further I got into to the post though I came to realize something. We are who we are because of the past. The things we have experinced has shapped us to be who we are. The memories and momentos are not somethign that should be left behind.

For some reason I have a quote fromt he lion king when I read this thread. At first it was when Simba first met Timon and Pumba. Pumba said "You have to put your behind in the past." which Timon correct as "You have to put the past behind you".

The more I thought about it, another quote came to mind fromthe same movie. It was when Rafiki met the adult Simba. He hit him with his staff to which Simba said "Ouch! What did you do that for?"
"it doesn't matter, its in the past"
"Yeah but it still hurts"
"Oh the past can hurt, but the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it"

So here is my question. Do we want to run away from our past? Forget about them and start a new? Or do we want to learn from our past? And know that they made us, good or bad, who and what we are today.

Perhaps I went beyond just the forum with this. Perhaps I took it to seriously. But once I came to this... conclusion of sorts, I thought it might help to share it.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

The vexation that I have is partly based on what you speak, US. To add to the confusion is the fact that many new people will be joining the forum, and they have not read all our old stuff. Maybe they never will, but does that mean they should not be given the opportunity? And again, maybe my ego is pushing too hard for this, maybe I should let the old stuff go. I am pretty much just thinking out loud about this... and I still don't have an answer.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

All the new ppl will see your rank.
all the new ppl will read your new posts.
all the new ppl will buy red underwear too.
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday
UnknownSoldier
Captain America / Assistant Game Tester

Post by UnknownSoldier »

Zot I say bring them over. I dont think I read a post from you that was not well thought out and well written. it would be a shame to lose such brilliance in the change over
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

I agree, move whatever you deem worth the effort. It will bring a bit of old flavour to the new forum and show new users who you are if they are willing to go through all these posts.
Looking through all these posts, sorting them and clearing out a bit will bring back memories and maybe let you discover some new things as well. It's a bit of Feng Shui, cherish old memories and find a decent place for them but clean out your closet as well.
Blondie
Founder of the NEL Arms

Post by Blondie »

I agree, keep all the best bits, cherish them, and put them in the memory section.
We all still have each other, that's the most important thing (apart from missing Sizz and Dowster)

Let's move on a bit, but keep some lovely memories.
It's a shame that everything in life has to change, but that's life.
(Bowie)
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Some changes are good, some are bad. Nevertheless they happen, if you want them to or not. Only way to deal with it is to accept them. Change opens up new doors. It's up to you to make the best out of it, for others and yourself .
Blondie
Founder of the NEL Arms

Post by Blondie »

Here, here! Image
(Bowie)
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

GreatZot wrote:In with the new, right?

I dunno, I am torn about this. One one hand, change is good. Change is progress. Change is inevitable. On the other hand, I poured a good deal of myself into the other forum. I had some nice rants, chats, random posts, philosophical ramblings, etc. I have not copied very many of my posts over to this forum, and I don't know if I am going to do so. I am sad to see some of those posts go, but since they were from me, I am still me and I still have that stuff, right? How important is it to have the actual post versus the memory of an enjoyable exchange. Like the time I suggested Clarence try apples with peanut butter and he suggested I try barbeque sauce in milk. That was pretty damn funny, but since I remember it, is that enough? I am going to give this serious contemplation for a day or two and then decide if I want to copy a bunch of my posts and responses from there to here... or just let them fade from the forum and only exist in memory.

Some people live their lives, others spend their time documenting it. Either is fine for me, but im not about to waste too much of my time because I don't find my own memory to be sufficient..
Naesme
Twilight Fanboy

Post by Naesme »

Bringing back dead threads =D
I am a friend and companion of the night. I rejoice in spilled blood and the baying of dogs. I wander among shades and tombs. I am Gorgo, and Mormo, of the thousand-faced moon. -The Touch of Satan
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Locking dead threads :D

If they've been dead for a while it's usually for a reason, new things are better than filling the place with stuff we finished with already

and randomness is better confined to a few specific places