Google Maps

This is for anything that has nothing to do with my game, bored stop by and chat a while

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Google Maps

Post by Moe »

A few of us have posted different times when Google Maps / Street View jumbled something up on accident, like in street view, a guy getting cut in half..

But did you know that, in Google Maps, in China, the roads are algorithmically moved around? The roads as mapped out will not line up with the roads on the satellite view, and this is intentionally done.

Example:
The circle on the left shows the satellite image of the on/off ramp, the red circle on the left shows where Google Maps has the on/off ramp

If you followed Google Maps to that on ramp, you would end up in the Beijing Red Mansion Culture and Art Museum 500+Meters away

This is due to China having restrictions on mapping without special authorisation due to national security concerns

Just thought it was an interesting tidbit of information
Last edited by Moe on Tue May 21, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swapped Image
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Re: Google Maps

Post by Wesley »

I'm not 100% sure what is going on in your example.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Moe

Post by Moe »

On the one on the right red circle, do you see the really light circles. That google maps saying there is a highway entrance ramp there.
The circle on the left shows where that ramp really is.

i had a screenshot that shows it better(googles road lines are darker on the Android app than on the web version) my phone maybe I'll switch them out
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Moe

Post by Moe »

It also causes things like this
Where the road for the bridge suddenly turns off into the water at the edge where the map turns into water at the edge of, leaving the Chinese Special Administrative Region

And it isn't like you can just take the road map of china and shift the whole thing, as in Shengzen, it's moved in a different direction

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

With the larger image it is much easier to see. That is pretty interesting. Makes you think about all the possible political and military reasons they might do this.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~