Concerts

Want to share your favourite song? Talk about an awesome band? Do it here!
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Concerts

Post by Nailbunny »

Dear fellow NELGFers,

Please share your concert experiences here. Everyone loves a good live show. Who have you seen? Where have you seen them? What made it awesome?
"There's one at the door, at the gate to damnation. Is it thief, thug or Shay? There's one at the door, and there's room for one more till the end of Creation."
- Squatterbloat, from The Sandman #4 "A Hope In Hell"

"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." - Christian Slater in True Romance
Shay
recuerdame

Re: Concerts

Post by Shay »

I don't expect anyone to read this. I have been to three concerts now. All three were paid by friends who wanted me to go.

Nine Inch Nails // Cox Arena in San Diego, CA
First concert I ever went to was NIN. At this time, I had not yet been exposed to NIN. I made an online friend on Neopets in 2002 or 2003. I can't remember. She lived in California and she's one of those rich Asian kids. I had no idea at the time. After several years of writing each other back and forth, sending gifts on holidays, etc, we finally decided to meet up. She bought two tickets to the first two showings of the With Teeth tour in September of 2005. The music was great! I loved it. But the concert itself totally sucked for multiple reasons. The first show was Friday night in San Diego, CA. The second show was the very next day in Tuscan, AZ. We were front row in the pit. That itself was pretty exciting as Trent Reznor was pouring water over us. It was hotter than hell and I felt like I was going to pass out. The weight of the entire pit was against me, squeezing me between them and the gate. I'm small as it is. So imagine all this when I'm 17. I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into. Lol. On top of all that, the concert itself did not last long. The drummer, Jerome Dillon, collapsed in the middle of one of the songs after what everyone thought was a drug overdose. Later it found out that he has major heart problems. The second showing in Tuscan, AZ was cancelled as well. But I had a fun time hanging out with Jennifer and I was introduced to some awesome music. They rescheduled the showing, but I couldn't go this time due to school.

Blue October // Emerald Theatre in Mt. Clemens, MI
I first heard the song "Calling You" sometime in late 2005/early 2006. Absolutely loved it. This was the band that developed my habit of downloading entire albums/discographies just for a single song. I wanted to hear more. The more I heard, the more I loved. They're one of my top five favorite artists. I met Chaz online in the summer of 2005. We didn't really talk much at first, we just had mutual friends on Conquer Online. Long story short, we fell in love with each other. The first boy I ever loved. He had a commitment problem, and so it was never pursued until last year in May. I told him he didn't have a choice, I was going to see him on his birthday, May 18th. I flew up there on May 15th nervous as smurf. When I arrived, I was greeted with a huge hug and two tickets to see Blue October on May 16th. Given my past experience with a concert, I was both excited, but not expecting much. We weren't sure if we were going to make it in or not. It was a 21+ show and Chaz was two days away from being 21. The guy scanning IDs gave a us a look and almost didn't let us in. But we made it, WOOHOO!!

I don't know if it was because I had low expectations, if they were just that awesome, or both, but DAMN that will be a concert to remember for the rest of my life. I thought their music was great listening to the CDs, it's a thousand times better in live. They just sound amazing. And the way Justin really gets the crowd going is just...inspiring. I loved how he'd tell stories between songs to give us a more in depth outlook at the reasoning behind the songs. I used to think he looked a little weird too, but in person, and the way he presents himself on stage, I'd totally hit that. ;D Anyway, it wasn't just their music either. The location did a great job with the sound quality, and the crew's light show was something to be proud of. Chaz has been to several concerts and stated it was one of the best light shows he's seen.

There was limited seating in the front and we were in the middle of the line. So unfortunately we missed out on getting a comfortable spot. Not that I really minded. I would've been on my feet during each song anyway. Towards the end of the concert, Chaz's feet were killing him, and to be completely honest, mine were too but I didn't want to say anything. There was a second floor that had more seating. I guess it would be what you call the "nose bleed" section. Half way up the stairs there was a section area with a bar, concession stand, and some booth benches. We took a seat on the booth since it was a little quieter and just talked for a little bit. "What If We Could" started and I kind of laughed. That song always reminded me of Chaz in both a good way and a bad way..lol and it stands true even to this day.

Anyway, to give just a really quick back story. What made me realize I had a thing for Chaz in the first place so long ago was a dream. I had a dream that we were at a concert standing towards the back. We were enjoying the music, but also just conversing with each other. Next thing you know, we start leaning in for a kiss, but it's one of those typical hesitant kisses. We're both nervous, not sure if we should really do it, or if we even have the guts to do it. He couldn't do it. He gave me a quick peck on the nose and we both left feeling a little disappointed. I told Chaz about it the next morning. He says, "Next time I promise not to disappoint."

"What If We Could" ends and we decide to head upstairs to view the last bit of the concert. It was highly unlikely that we were going to get our spot back downstairs towards the front. Seating is packed, so we stand on the stairs against the wall for the last three songs. Still downright smurf amazing. I was totally turned on by listening to them. xD The concert ends, and next thing I know, Chaz pulls me in for a kiss, and we just made out in the middle of the stairs with people walking around us. Great concert with a great ending, and I was not left disappointed.

Blink 182 // DTE Energy Music Theatre in Clarkston, MI
It's August and guess what? I'm going to see Chaz again! This time I get to have more than just a weekend with him. I get an entire week off from work. Guess what else? He bought concert tickets again and it's Blink 182. smurf YEAH! The drive there was insane. We left extremely early and arrived an hour late. I've been in some pretty backed up traffic from my experiences when I lived in Ohio, but never like this. We sat in one place for about five minutes, maybe more, just to move a couple inches and sit for another five minutes or more each time. Everyone was on their way to the concert. It was an outdoor venue this time. When we finally got there, I was just completely amazed simply by how many people were there. I have never seen such a huge concert venue before and so many people even in pictures. The place was packed and apparently a record number of people being at the venue for a concert at once. I have lots of pictures and I really need to put them back up on my Facebook again. I bought this kick bottom t-shirt that has become one of my favorite shirts I've ever owned. Even though we were an hour late, we got lucky and didn't miss anything. They were having problems with some of the set and speakers not working.

There were three opening bands. First was a local band called Chester French. They were good. Next was Panic! At The Disco. They weren't even supposed to be there. I mean, they were, but it got canceled. So we were all pretty shocked and excited about that. Most of the crowd including us stayed sitting down for the first two bands. Then Fallout Boy came on stage and everyone was at their feet. I was thoroughly impressed with FOB's live performance. Their ending song, they did a cover of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" and damn it was awesome! I don't trust many people to do covers of that song because it's a damn good song. But they definitely did it justice.

Now for the moment we've all been waiting for, Blink! The crowd roared and hollered for a good five or ten minutes. In the very beginning they told us if we make enough noise, they'll have a surprise for us in the end. Man, it was so great between songs too. They just had so much fun together and you could tell. They'd play off of each other and tell stories, crack jokes, even bring the crowd into it sometimes. There was this guy in the crowd dressed in a giant banana outfit, no idea why. I wish I would've took a picture. They made multiple jokes about him, very good times. At one point in the concert, and I apologize as I cannot remember which song it was for the life of me, they turned off all the lights except for this dim, dark blue that covered over the front part of the crowd. It's dark out by this time, and they asked us to take out our cell phones to be the stars shining down. So of course, we all did. It was soooooooooo neat. I did happen to get a picture of it, but the picture comes nowhere near how amazing it was in person. With so many people, there were so many beautiful colors. It was so dark that you couldn't see the people themselves. Just this vast area of black with all these sparkling lights of many colors. It was one of my favorite parts of the concert. When they ended their last song and the stage went black, people started leaving. Too bad for them. For those of us who stayed, we cheered for what seemed like an eternity, though in reality it was a good fifteen to twenty minutes. We heard a single beat of a drum. Suddenly the crowd managed to get even louder, as if we weren't loud enough already, holy cow! There was another delay, about two minutes this time, and we hear a couple more beats. The lights come on and Travis Barker starts hammering away on his drums. Next thing we know, he's floating upward in the air. Now keep in mind, he almost died in a plane crash in 2008! He continues to be lifted higher and higher in the air until he's nearly at the top. THEN they tilt him at a 90º angle, and still he's just pounding out that awesome smurf drum solo. We're all amazed as it is right now. We never in a million years expected this. As if things couldn't get any cooler, still in his 90º tilt, his platform starts rotating in a circle and the drum beat is just sick (in a good way)! It was truly amazing and totally worth the 20 minutes we screamed and hollered for.
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

Wait, hang on, lemme get this straight.

You went to a Blink182 concert. Ok, I'm jealous already. Next, Panic at the Disco turn up? Ok, now I'm really jealous. Fall Out Boy are supporting too?? WHAT???

Life isn't fair.

I would review some bands I've seen, but you probably won't have heard of them... except for maybe Madness, and I don't remember it in detail because it was when I was about 8. I saw Franz Ferdinand last year, and the Zutons the year before (with my Dad) and I really liked them, though you probably won't have heard of them both because they're British.
I've also been to some local concerts and stuff, which are always fun. Actually I'll talk about this local (free) concert I saw last August. There were four bands, all local, all unknown, and it was in this small field and started at about 7pm and i think we left around midnight. I went with my friend George, and my parents dropped us off and it was really good, cause it was one of those really warm nights and you know how hot it gets at concerts.. anyway. The bands were pretty good, especially the third which was called Get Set Radio. There was some food, and because there's a park just over the road we went there a couple of times (despite it being pitch black) if the concert got boring. My parents picked us up at about midnight... except we had to walk about a mile to meet them. Then I went home and watched Reading Festival on the TV (it was on that weekend..)
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I wanna know about the Franz Ferdinand concert too! i R big fan of Franz Ferdinand. :D

Well do ya, do ya, do ya wanna, wanna go to where I never let you before?
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

saw like 40 live concerts of isr. artist ,i guess no need to list'em.

Don't judge me for these creepy concerts , those who i'd really like to see don't give a damn about israel .
I saw all in Isr.
Maddona- my first live show , she failed , sound was shazam! .
simply red - His voice is so different , it was pretty cool .
suede-FAKING AMAZING SHOW .
radiohead-same here .
guns and faking roses- shazam! goddamit i can not even remember me being there , i just found out it happened while talking to a friend a week ago .
prodigy - too good 2b true . it was .
R.E.M- can not remember me being there , again , friends , saying they were there with me .Seriously its the only show that i wish i could remember being at.
infected mushroom- more then once , but since it is what it is ,I can only remember sky and trees and random faceless faces .

I saw a lot more then just that ,but i need to ask friends for more info' :D
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Shay wrote:I really like Infected Mushroom.

Shay , Did you know that this group are Israelis ?
edit
:lol:
oh my...Shay look what i'v done to your post!!
i posted that question but somehow this is what i got!
i edited your post and posted in your post.

mahhh i got'a be a mod! :lol: a super one.
Eff
sizz

Post by sizz »

I like infected mushroom as well... didn't know they were from Israel though...

I'd love to see Radiohead and Prodigy... everyone here's been to really good concerts :P

Franz Ferdinand... glad you like them, Shay! I've loved them ever since their first album came out.. i was about... eight I guess. Well it was last March, at Southampton Guildhall in... Southampton. South England. It was quite nice, it wasn't like.. huge, but kind of.. medium sized. I didn't actually know who the hell the support group were, but I googled them after and found out they were 'The Soft Pack'. My Dad hated them, but I thought they weren't that bad. Franz Ferdinand were really good. The sound quality was actually really good.. cause you know at some concerts they have the bass up too high. Alex Kaprano's voice is AMAZING live also. I <3 him a lot.
I found some vids of the concert. Quality isn't superb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5118BjWcP8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x67dcnTs0B4
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Oh! I'll definitely have to check them out once Jeff is up. I don't like to play anything with sound when people are sleeping. Though I never understood how anyone could sleep past 10 AM. Lol

Also, I figured I would post this picture just for you, Sizz. I think you will like it a lot. :)

sizz

Post by sizz »

I want one. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want a decent band t-shirt.
Helz tried to get me a Jack's Mannequin t-shirt for my birthday, but its like $30 for shipping, which is like... a lot in £.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I've made sure to buy a t-shirt at every concert I went to. This one is definitely by far the coolest t-shirt I have ever owned.
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Post by Nailbunny »

My first concert was headlined by The Rolling Stones. The opening acts were a french band that I forget the name of, followed by Our Lady Peace, Maroon 5 and The Tragically Hip. It was outdoors at Magnetic Hill in Moncton NB. What a show. Albeit my only issue was I don't like Maroon 5 or The Tragically Hip. I will say that Our Lady Peace put on an amazing show only to be topped by the Stones. For a man his age Mick Jagger is in shape. He was runnin around like a lunatic the whole set. It was amazing. I would see The Stones again in a heartbeat.

On an unrelated note, I'm entering a contest to win passes to meet Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper. I'm excited. :D
"There's one at the door, at the gate to damnation. Is it thief, thug or Shay? There's one at the door, and there's room for one more till the end of Creation."

"It's better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." - Christian Slater in True Romance
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

I have never seen a concert. <--- BIG LIE!!!! Anyway, The Tragically Hip are so freaking bad. I hate them. Honestly. They munch taint 3 meals a day.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

Mettalica would come to Isr on may .
We really wanna go there but they just started selling tickets ..okay? ready?
300$ for one ticket , yes . jesus faking christ .

My hubby says- lets just listen to their cd's . he's right.

They were here like ten years ago , and it make sense that i saw them , i need to ask mafriend, ettie.
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Post by Nailbunny »

I agree Zot. The Tragically Hip are crap. And they are even worse live. Ew.

Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

Ozzfest is coming around.. Ozzy osbourn brings the sh!t to IsraHell yeah!
Heavy metal ... well i don't really like that kind'a music anymore ..
i like'em heavy metal guys when they play it unplugged (age thing i guess)
Anyway ,Its gonna be a hell of day with betzefer -Orphanland - and smurf KoRn
My 7 year old son is a freak of korn so he will have his first REAL live concert show (i'll hand him the bill when he'll grow older) And i cant wait for this fest' to start in less then 30 hours :D :) ;) :o 8-) :mrgreen: :twisted: :D
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

That fest' was too awesome - well for the israely crowd - five-six heavy methal shows in a row ..its "too awesome"..
here's one pic' from the OzzFest in israel I had thee best faccking time ever - the sound was great - i was too close to the band - korn - they were gods
Nailbunny
Ancient Moderator

Post by Nailbunny »

On September 24, I went to see Clutch, Children Of Bodom and Black Label Society. The show was AMAZING. Zakk Wylde is awesome. He did a tribute to Dimebag Darrel in which he played piano. Unreal.

Then four days later I went to the Rockstar Uproar Fest in Edmonton AB. One of the greatest experiences of my life. I seen Hail The Villian, White Cowboy Oklahoma, Hellyeah, Stone Sour, Avenged Sevenfold, and Disturbed. Halestorm was also playing the concert, however, I missed their set to stand in a line to meet Hellyeah. I managed to get right up to the front too and got some good pictures.

Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

Show us the pic's then.. I love disturbed ! my neighbors hate'em though..

This is ozzy - he looks to old but smurf NO! he walks like an old man
but as the music starts he's getting faking crazy -
his enargy is like a 16 yearOld kid! he jumps and makes the crowed go crazy
- well done ozzy

and korn :D
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

And some sorrow of that day..
My boy took a bad descision not to come , i was too happy for that , anywayb4 i left he only asked me not to talk about the show and not to show him pictures .
Duhh I couldn't resist it
The next day I played videos of the show on the laptop and put it on the bed .. he started from listening but not looking - then he came to bed and watched it from a far ..
look at this poor kids eyes :cry: His mom sucks - i shoulld have made him come .. (dont ooc its my kid! :lol: )
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

It would have been too loud there for him.