article on baby slings

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

article on baby slings

Post by chex »

I started this in Current Events, but it turned into a bit of a rant...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100309/ap_ ... -container

I know this probably doesn't affect many people here, but it annoys the smurf hell out of me! A few people don't know how to properly wear a baby, so slings get deemed unsafe? Okay, the sling pictured in the article is a piece of shazam!. I used it once, and the baby sits down too low and in a bad position. But that doesn't mean all slings suck. And when using any sling, you still have to check on the baby! I hate how the "hippie-like" parenting practices get branded as unsafe because a few people didn't practice them safely. Like cosleeping. It gets a reputation for being dangerous because a drunk parent rolled over on the baby and smothered it, or a baby got trapped up in blankets. Considering parents are told not to use a blankets in cribs...

I wish that instead of writing articles that generalize these things as unsafe, they would focus on how to do them safely.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Re: article on baby slings

Post by Clovvach »

It's unreasonable, I agree.

Warning labels are the same way... some guy got obese on McDonalds, so he blames McDonalds for "making" him that way, when in reality, he just didn't "use" McDonalds the right way.
chex

Post by chex »

Warning labels don't bother me. Most of them are common sense, but not everyone has that common sense. I'd rather see stupid warning labels than calling a product unsafe.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

You're right Chex.
It's all about proper use of the article. After all, womenn have been carying their baby like this for centuries, even before the wheel was invented. It's not the method that is unsafe, it's the way it's been used.

A car in itself is an inanimate object, totaly harmless, but in the hands of a drunk it can become a killing machine.
Safety is thinking thing over, just common sense.
chex

Post by chex »

What really burns my rice is that when a few kids had their fingertips chopped off in strollers, the government never felt the need to warn consumers against the dangers of strollers. :roll:

Heh, in the comments, someone was going on about how people should just carry their babies in their arms or push them in a stroller. Clearly, they've never gone grocery shopping with a young baby. ;)
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

How you wear the slings is important. I know someone who wore theirs on their back and hit the baby into a wall. It was okay though.

It's like babyseats. They're safe, as long as you don't put them backwards on the front seat of a car.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex

Post by chex »

Was it a sling on their back, or a different carrier. A lot of carriers are designed to be worn on the back. The weight distribution is more comfortable.

I always use a front carry though, because I suck at getting a good back carry.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

It was a front but he had it (somehow) on his back
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

chex wrote:Warning labels don't bother me. Most of them are common sense, but not everyone has that common sense. I'd rather see stupid warning labels than calling a product unsafe.
I was talking about niether... I was talking about how people blame companies for the stupid things they do. :P

I suppose you have a point though.