Mac vs. Windows

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.

Which one is better: Mac or Windows?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:26 pm

Mac
43%
Windows
57%
I don't use either
No votes

Total votes: 7

Wolfe
Starting out

Mac vs. Windows

Post by Wolfe »

I think the subject is pretty straightforward:

Do you like Mac computers or Windows computers?

I personally like Mac, but a factor in that is that I have much less experience with Windows. I think that Macs in general load faster, and I like all the shortcuts and the simple way things are set up.

The disadvantage is that there are more programs for Windows than Mac. I still stand by the argument that this is because more people have Windows, which is due to the fact they're cheaper, because they're not as good. You can also download programs to play Windows programs on a Mac.
Giana
I never sleep

Re: Mac vs. Windows

Post by Giana »

I use Windows.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

I love mac. That may just be the fact that I had so many viruses on my PC though.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I do use Windows. But I'd love to own and use a Mac.
Macs are designed for graphic purposes. They're perfect for image enhancement and digital artwork. If you only want to use it to play games or surf the net, a Mac is a too expensive computer.

I don't think the Macs load faster because they're Macs. I have a Windows desktop and a Windows laptop. The desktop is ready for use within 30 sseconds, the laptop takes over 5 minutes.

In general a Mac looks really cool. And that is a major plus. And it is stable as hell.
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

I voted for mac . i use windows but i hate it and i would love to own a mac .
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday
Jonny Boy
Site Admin

Post by Jonny Boy »

You know what. So far all of the arguments for mac are completely stupid. Macs being reliable is a myth. Trust me, I've worked with one for a long time and I need to reboot the thing constantly. The machine has had OSX reinstalled in it more times than I know about and it's nickname at work is "The Crash Box" if that's any indication.

Macs are better for graphics? Not really I can make just as good graphics with my PC and let me explain. Dollar for dollar if you have a mac worth 5 grand and a PC worth 5 grand, the PC is going to have MUCH better hardware and will be able to perform this task better so that argument is null. The two reasons that people usually get better graphics with macs are because macs have superior hardware and because the operating system devotes most of it's resources towards the graphics. Macs no longer use superior hardware, they use the same hardware as PCs now so now I can put windows on my mac and the mac os on a PC. Windows has always been a memory hog but if you tweak it right, you can cut down the memory and resources it's using and get just about the same performance as any mac, especially if you've matched the cost of hardware.

Now the ABSOLUTE WORST argument for the mac is that it's "prettier" and "I like how it works". You can augment how windows looks and functions EASILY. Graphical User Interfaces on widows are extremely customizable and you can even get programs to make windows look exactly like the mac os. If you like how macs work so much then you're basically saying that you don't want to use the same programs as a window user and you want to use a crippled operating system. Sure, why not go all the was and go linux or heck... why not DOS? I'm sure DOS has email and browsing.... right?
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

I use Windows but I like Linux.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

Well, I use mac because it works a lot better for me, I know that for sure, my PC works slower than mac, and it wouldn't turn on half the time
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

Alialialia wrote:I use Windows but I like Linux.
Same here... I recently reinstalled linux..

if it wasn't for the having to install like 3 programs before I can play a windows game...
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Jonny Boy, I like you. I share your opinion on this as well.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
Jonny Boy
Site Admin

Post by Jonny Boy »

What? You're not going to debate me? Do you need a doctor? Well it's hard to argue with logic and facts. ;)
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

Jonny Boy wrote: DOS?
:lol: I wish, so many of the games I like are for DOS.
Jonny Boy
Site Admin

Post by Jonny Boy »

Get an emulator and play them then.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Emulators rock! M.A.M.E. is my favorite, but BoGZ is rocking MESS, Nestor, NEStopia, PinMAME, and a few others. Yes, they are all vintage video game and pinball emulators. We grew up at the same time as the games themselves were growing up, so the oldschool games just feel like home.

And Jon, we can debate all sorts of things, it is just that I feel that MAC is overrated and the users are usually sensitive and overly defensive when you criticize them. It is almost as bad as politics the way they feel the need to justify themselves! :D

~ Donnie Yen ~
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

I went for Windows too, it annoys the crap out of me by behaving like an overprotective parent that forces me to work around it just to get permission to do stuff with my own comp. But it's still the best there is

I would go into more detail as to why, but Jonny already covered it :lol:
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

Jonny Boy wrote:Get an emulator and play them then.
I did. :P
Dowster wrote:it annoys the crap out of me by behaving like an overprotective parent that forces me to work around it just to get permission to do stuff with my own comp.
Jonny Boy wrote:You know what. So far all of the arguments for mac are completely stupid. Macs being reliable is a myth.
:| I don't think my mac is like any other macs then. None of this really applies.
Last edited by Clovvach on Tue May 18, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

I usually download wine. it works fine, usually..
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Clovvach wrote:
I did. :P
Dowster wrote:it annoys the crap out of me by behaving like an overprotective parent that forces me to work around it just to get permission to do stuff with my own comp.
Jonny Boy wrote:You know what. So far all of the arguments for mac are completely stupid. Macs being reliable is a myth.
:| I don't think my mac is like any other macs then. None of this really applies.
The quote you quoted me for was about windows....
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Specifically Windows Vista, which is universally reviled as being a dodgy piece of crap. All those waypoints and security checks to make sure you want to do something? Useless. My sister's son (7 years old) was still able to delete very important files from the FAT even with all that crap in place.

However, I hear Windows 7 takes care of a bunch of that and is actually really quite good. Dowster, I happen to have an OEM Win7 lying around... would you like it?

~ Donnie Yen ~
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Well I can't see any reason to say no :D