Open-mindedness

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Open-mindedness

Post by Clovvach »

So, on a lot of artistic sites, I've been seeing something that sort of goes down like this:

First thing that happens, an artist joins, and submits his work. People see it, and it's so unforgivably awesome, that they award it heavily.

Next thing that happens, This artist starts getting his work rewarded over and over again. Every competition they enter they get 1rst place, no matter how good the work actualy is. They just get rewards only because it was made by them. Soon everyone else's work is ignored to make room for the more worshiped one's.

Last thing that happens, this reign of terror goes on and on and on and on, until FINALY the artist gets bored and stops posting. Then everything gets back to normal.

And the reason why I think this happens is because most people lack open-mindedness. Open-mindedness, for those who don't know, is the willingness to accept new ideas (not all of them, but the ones that deserve to be accepted). And nothing annoys me more than people who can't keep an open mind and just keep blindly awarding the same thing over and over again, regardless on how good it is.
Beany
Demimod

Re: Open-mindedness

Post by Beany »

On some sites they send lots of people messages and ask them to vote for them. So they win with a really bad design like a pink square.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Jonny Boy
Site Admin

Post by Jonny Boy »

Well I feel like santa bringing you guys a present! You're right! Not only that but you'll be seeing that pattern a LOT all through out your life in many many many aspects and subjects. Congrats!
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

It's true that it can affect all things, not just art. But it's sometimes hard to be open-minded, such as when it's between someone you hate and a friend, cos you're always gonna vote for your friend.

With all my friend difficulties, I've tried being open-minded, but I can't always.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

Thanks Johnny! :D

It's easier for me to be open-minded when I'm trying to choose between a friend and a hated one, because usually my friends are really understanding.

On artistic sites, I usually either keep a stranger to everyone, or make everyone a friend so that that doesn't get in the way.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

I don't think people are being narrow-minded here, those artists have a huge fan base/friends they can mobilize to make them vote for them.