Let's talk about tickle fight...

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Let's talk about tickle fight...

Post by chex »

Or, rather, tickle fight ed. ;)

My *ahem* medical issues have lead to some interesting discussions around our home, which got me thinking. I know we had a similar topic on the old forum, but I'd like to expand a bit.

KIDS:
What does your school teach during tickle fight ed?
Did your school's program answer your questions?
How much do you think schools should cover?
How comfortable are you talking to your parents about tickle fight?
How open are your parents with you?

ALL ADULTS:
What did your school cover, with regard to tickle fight ed?
How much do you think schools should cover during tickle fight ed?
How open was the line of communication between you and your parents, regarding tickle fight?

PARENTS:
How open are you (or will you be) with your children, regarding tickle fight?
Do you feel uncomfortable having schools teaching your children about tickle fight?
chex

Re: Let's talk about tickle fight...

Post by chex »

God damn it people. Log in! I need entertainment while I'm avoiding my children! :lol:

Alrighty, my school covered the reproductive systems, STDs, various birth control methods (pros, cons, and their effectiveness), how to put on a condom and masturbation. They also stressed that abstinence was the only birth control that was 100% reliable. I think my school's program was decent. They were straightforward, and I honestly don't remember having any questions left unanswered at the end of the program. Granted, I was already having tickle fight by the time I took the class. :lol: It was a section of health class, and in our district, health was required at some point in high school, for one semester. Looking back, I think it should have been required for freshman. (I took it my Junior year.) However, because of the class, I had a good knowledge base when talking to my doctor about birth control, and knew which method would be best for me. Rather than my doctor talking at me, I was able to participate in the conversation regarding my body.

I knew I could go to my mom with any questions, and she'd answer me honestly, but I never felt comfortable doing so. Most of my information came from friends and TV until I took the class. I also knew that I couldn't go to my dad, who was very conservative. Instead, I hid information from him.

I'm already pretty open with my daughter. My policy is "if you're old enough to ask a question, you're old enough to get an honest answer." I worry that we'll get stationed some place where there's an "abstinence only" tickle fight ed program, but I also know that I'll closely watch that unit and make sure that I'm giving her the right information if the school fails to do so. I hope she feels comfortable to come to me when she's older, too. Or, at least, that she has a close relationship with my mom, cousin, or aunt, who I know will all give her the correct information. (After all, moms are so uncool. :P )
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

Dang it. I was totally tricked by the title of this thread. :roll:
chex wrote: What does your school teach during tickle fight ed?
We've had 1 video in 5th grade. Other than that, the subject hasn't been talked about.
yup, but I pretty much knew almost everything that they covered.
about as much as they do now
I'm OK with it. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have bothered to reply.
Very open. But it's more my brother who asks questions these days.
Yaz Pistachio
Chex's Long-Lost Brother

Post by Yaz Pistachio »

chex wrote:KIDS:
We had a reproduction unit in each grade in middle school, but it wasn't really covered until Health class this year (8th grade). We, however, did not learn about how to put on a condom or about masturbation. Just pregnancy, STDs, human sexuality, birth and labor, and human anatomy. Another thing we did not cover was homosexuality, and I think that that should be taught. Kids can believe whatever they want, but they need to be taught the cause of homosexuality.
I barely had any to begin with, but yes.
Everything. From tickle fight, to pregnancy, to STDs, to masturbation, to homosexuality.
Not at all.
They're not. I didn't learn any of the tickle fight stuff from my parents. We never had "the talk". I learned it on my own.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Dr. Carl Sagan
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

On the topic, how come people can just type "tickle fight" on the forum with out the dot's? (like "s.e.x")
Moe
Official NELG Headmaster Tech Guy of Awesomeness

Post by Moe »

in 4th and 5th grade we talked about the repro system, we didn't in 6th because we had one teacher, and one sub teacher(the substitute teacher wasn't comfortable talking about it... she was there for the last 2 months because our old teacher quit)... and in 7th, we had tickle fight ed for a quarter.. all we really talked about was STDs and pregnancy(and little about this anyway) but that's about it.

Kinda, did a poor job though
Yaz Pistachio wrote:How much do you think schools should cover?
Everything. From tickle fight, to pregnancy, to STDs, to masturbation, to homosexuality.
^^ I think the same

Iffy, get nervous when Dad brings it up, mom stays out of it.(Dad brings it up randomly when moms not home)

Mom stays out of talking to me about it, Dad thinks it's weird that I get nervous talking about it, but he'ss pretty open about it.

---------
Clovvach wrote:On the topic, how come people can just type "tickle fight" on the forum with out the dot's? (like "s.e.x")
sure some people may be squeamish when this word comes up, but there is nothing bad about it
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you
are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."
- Rachel Dawes, Batman Begins

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
that happens to everything else."
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
sizz
List Creator / Ancient Demimod

Post by sizz »

KIDS:
We've kind of stopped having it now. We had a Sexual Health Roadshow (no joke, that's what it was called xD) last year, in which we had to put banana flavoured condoms on plastic dicks. Hilarious. In primary school, we watched a couple of videos about tickle fight and all that.
tickle fight Ed started in year six (that's grade five I think) and it was basically this cartoon video (it was a little weird... basically just two cartoon people and a bed and yeah) and some discussion about contraception. Then when I started secondary school, in science we watched a video of someone giving birth and learnt about pregnancy and stuff. Various talks on periods. Then it got concentrated on STDs in year nine, and now, no tickle fight ed really.

I dunno. To be honest, they only really cover STDs and contraception. All the safety bits. Thing is, its all stuff that we already know. Stuff that we've all heard before. Its a lot of... I dunno how to explain it... a lot of preaching, I guess. Basically just 'Use a condom!' drilled into our heads.

What Yaz said. Definetly pregnancy for girls. Contraception and STDs are also important.

No. No no no.

I don't ask them anything, they don't tell me anything. I learnt everything about tickle fight through school and friends. I never got The Talk, really. My mum sometimes brings up random stuff, like 'never invite boys up to your bedroom'. I had to struggle SO HARD not to laugh when she said that...
I suppose if I asked stuff, they'd tell me, but I prefer to just talk to my friends.
chex wrote:Well we are pretty jabberwocky'.
chex

Post by chex »

Satan wrote:
Clovvach wrote:On the topic, how come people can just type "tickle fight" on the forum with out the dot's? (like "s.e.x")
sure some people may be squeamish when this word comes up, but there is nothing bad about it
That filter was in place to bypass Dowster's work filters. We have a different filter for it now. I think it's "tickle fight" or something.
chex

Post by chex »

sizz wrote: Definetly pregnancy for girls.
We had watched a video of a woman giving birth, but I don't remember learning much about pregnancy itself. I think they should cover it with both males and females. I was pretty clueless during my first pregnancy and got a lot of information from Dr. Google until I was far enough along that a doctor would see me. My husband was even more clueless, and almost didn't survive. (smurf tried telling me that the severe morning sickness I had - throwing up five times a day - was my fault for not eating right.) Education saves lives! :lol:
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

When I was in 6th grade (12 years old) our teacher told us one morning that in the afternoon we would get tickle fight ed.
That made me so very nervous, anxious, scared.
My only thought from that moment on, during lunch (we had lunch at home), until school started again, was: "I can't tell mom and dad, they will not let me go to school if I tell."
I think we got to see a film about how a baby grows. And some information about how the body works. I'm not sure though. Can't remember much but my anxiety.

Three years later we had tickle fight ed lessons. Girls and boys seperated, which I think is good, because they do need different information. I learned about birth control and I remember having discussions about feelings.

I never learned that condoms prevent STD's. I had to learn that when I was in my twenties.

I have never been able to talk to my parents about tickle fight related topics. My dad left when I was twelve, and my mom was overly conservative until she drove my dad away, to promiscuous after he left.

I have always been very open to my kids. They can talk to me about everything. We do have lively discussions about any thinkable subject. And they have sweethearts at a younger age than I or my hubby did. Which I think is good.

I did not start on the topic by myself though. I wanted to wait until they would start asking questions. That might have been a mistake. My daughter started menstruating two month before turning eleven. She knew nothing and tried to hide it from me. That made me feel really bad.
chex

Post by chex »

They split our classes in 5th grade (ages 10-11) for the puberty talk, but any tickle fight ed after that was coed.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

I dunno when exactly it was at school, think grade seven or something. It was part of the biology lessons and it was about the human body and the reproductive system. They told us how a pregnancy works (well, the physical stuff, there's one cell and then there are two and so on) and how the pill works. That was it. I remember having a book my mum bought for me and my brother and it was about 'Where the babies come from' (it was a special kids book with pictures, nothing too revealing but it was nice).
In Kindergarten we had these funny wooden dolls, one with a plug and the other with a socket, was like a puzzle. :lol:
Later there were some campaigns at schools to inform about AIDS and that it is important to use condoms.
Some I asked my mom, some I learned from friends. The topic just came up once in a while, there was no big talk.
chex

Post by chex »

bella wrote: In Kindergarten we had these funny wooden dolls, one with a plug and the other with a socket, was like a puzzle. :lol:
That is awesome! :lol:
Yaz Pistachio
Chex's Long-Lost Brother

Post by Yaz Pistachio »

Yeah it is. :)

Our Health class's unit was mainly puberty, pregnancy, and STDs.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Dr. Carl Sagan
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

chex wrote: KIDS:
School teach the basic 'this is it' in yr 6, then it gets more complex. It's only this year that we're doing all the tiny details.

My school's program answered most of them.

I think schools are pretty well-covered, but I don't know about mixed schools.

Not very.

Very.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

bella wrote:In Kindergarten we had these funny wooden dolls, one with a plug and the other with a socket, was like a puzzle. :lol:
I remember a friend telling me about something like that. I thought he was making it up. In fact I think he was. :P
Moe

Post by Moe »

we WERE supposed to watch a video of giving birth in 7th grade, but that got skipped because it was end of the quarter
Last edited by Moe on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it's not who you

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning? The same thing
- Ororo Munroe, X-Men
Clarence
Game Destroyer

Post by Clarence »

They actually brought a pregnant woman right into the classroom, and we watched as the teacher delivered the baby.
chex

Post by chex »

Dear god, I hope it wasn't a cesarean!
Moe

Post by Moe »

Our tickle fight-Ed teacher is also our gym teacher, and isn't qualified to do more than stand there and talk.

- Ororo Munroe, X-Men