Jell-O Meat or not?

Master debating inside. Enter at your own risk. Protection advised. ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN HERE, YOU WILL ONLY BE WARNED ONCE.
Wesley
GOD

Jell-O Meat or not?

Post by Wesley »

Close enough for me to call it meat. Let me share an anecdote:

After being awake for about 24 of the previous 28 hours due to my friend kicking me out of our hotel so he could have some slap and tickle with a rather large English girl he had met earlier in the evening, my friend and I walked uphill the several blocks from the hotel to the train station to wait for our departure from Nice back to Paris. The TGV would not be arriving for a little more than an hour, so we went to the restaurant across the street to get a bite. It was a nice little place, kind of shabby and chic at the same time. Jon was keen to try the Foie Gras in a place such as this, since it was infinitely unique compared to any place we would be able to find in the quiet suburbs of the United States. The Foie Gras was served with toast and cubed aspic. So simple, yet so aesthetically appealing. Tiny little bouncy golden cubes of the very essence of the purest flavor from the paté, used as a visual as well as gustatory stimulant. The journey my fork made from the plate to my mouth became one of pure wonder and amazement as light was reflected and diffused through the little gelatin gemstones that adorned this marvelous little mouthful. Upon contact with my tongue, the aspic began to melt and release all the wonderful flavor that was trapped in colloid state. Protein mixed with protein to deliver a symphony of flavor and texture enhanced by the crispness of the toast, resulting in a dining experience that will not soon be forgotten.

Now I understand that the above story is more creative writing and less debate, but it was fun to write. I hope you enjoyed reading it. Jello is meat. Pectin is plants. I am an omnivore.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Re: Jell-O Meat or not?

Post by LaLou »

I totally agree with you Zot.
People who want to be a vegetarian because they feel "sorry for the animals", (IMHO the least reasonable reason to stop eating meat,) should also avoid gelatine.
And not wear leather.
They should also stop eating candy like marshmellows and wine gums, because that contains gelatine.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

I see meat as the muscle or organs. Gelatin is certainly vegetarian, but it's also not meat.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Even though fruits and vegetables find their way into many Jello molds, and even though the Jello is brightly colored and fruity flavored, since it comes from animal parts, I still have to put it in the animal group. I can agree that I would not call it meat, since I also do not call tripe meat. That shazam! is disgusting. Or how about esophagus? WTF? People eat that crap, and it is from an animal, but I have a hard time calling it food, let alone giving it the high honor of being called Meat.

So yeah, Jello is not meat, but it is in the animal group. Here is a pic:

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex

Post by chex »

GreatZot wrote:
So yeah, Jello is not meat, but it is in the animal group. [/img]

Exactly my thoughts.

That was a quick debate...
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

What?!? NO!! It is not over yet! Um.....

The jello that you find around the lid of a can of spam or canned corned beef is in direct contact with, and is the flavor of, and comes from processed meat, and therefore is meat.

Maybe?

~ Donnie Yen ~
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

On the leather shoes thing, my sister (who is a strict veggie) still wears leather shoes, cos decent synthetic ones are really expensive.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

And decent leather ones are not? Crap!
chex

Post by chex »

Provided the vegetarian who wears leather is not judgmental about people who eat meat, I don't see the leather wearing as being hypocritical. I see it as someone who cuts out animal cruelty where they feel comfortable doing so. Most chickens used for eggs are kept in deplorable conditions, but people don't look down on lacto-ovo vegetarians for being hypocritical. This is no different, in my opinion.
Redders
Artiste

Post by Redders »

im not sure about vegetarians, but i knew a girl who was a pescatarian (i think thats how its spelled)once. its like vegetarian, only your allowed to eat fish and such.
she actually wore leather alot, seeing as her house was right next to a leather outlet store. on newyears she somehow got a picture of me wearing her leather pants. as far as im concerned vegetatians and pescatarians are pretty much the same, and i personally think that a vegetarian wearing leather is not being very hypocritical. your wearing the animal skin, not eating it.

on another note- we were invited over to a vegetarians house for thanksgiving. the Tofurky was a weird (but good) experience.
chex

Post by chex »

I've had some tasty fake turkey. I used the Quorn brand with a vegetarian gravy over it. mmm...
Redders
Artiste

Post by Redders »

they got their tofu turkey imported. it was good, but i couldent read the brand cause the letters were all chinese or something crazy like that. when they were cooking it i looked at the box and i just couldent stop thinking that they were gonna have giga-pudding for dessert.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

What is giga-pudding?

~ Donnie Yen ~
Redders
Artiste

Post by Redders »

GreatZot wrote:What is giga-pudding?
its from this weird commercial my friend showed me...

its just like a flan, only 10 times bigger and its from Japan (of course). the commercial is just terrible and weird, it's like somebody said "hey, heres three cameras, some children, and a bucket of gigs-pudding. go make a commercial!"

i swear the whole time i watched it it felt like i was on drugs or something -.-
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

Redness wrote:its from Japan (of course). the commercial is just weird
If it's from Japan it's most likley going to be weird like that.
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

Redness wrote: i personally think that a vegetarian wearing leather is not being very hypocritical. your wearing the animal skin, not eating it.
It's not the wearing or eating that's hypocritical, it's the reason why some people say they are vegetarian. If they say they do not eat meat because they feel sorry for the animal, and there are people who use that reason, they should not wear leather either.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

I think wearing the leather of an animal is giving it more respect than eating it. Or not eating it. Letting the animal go to waste is an insult. If it is going to be killed anyway, let its life have purpose and give you nourishment and shelter from the elements. Respect and thank the animal for being able to give you comfort for years to come.

It is the way American Indians did it.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Redders
Artiste

Post by Redders »

GreatZot wrote:It is the way American Indians did it.
and the Na'vi (i think thats how its spelled o.o)
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

GreatZot wrote:I think wearing the leather of an animal is giving it more respect than eating it. Or not eating it. Letting the animal go to waste is an insult. If it is going to be killed anyway, let its life have purpose and give you nourishment and shelter from the elements. Respect and thank the animal for being able to give you comfort for years to come.

It is the way American Indians did it.
I totaly agree.
I'm just trying to say that "I feel sorry for the animal, so I'm not eating meat." is a worthless excuse.
chex

Post by chex »

That was basically my reasoning, though mine was a bit more detailed.