Anthem

Want to rant about something? Or see me go on about something stupid? This is the place.
Wesley
GOD

Anthem

Post by Wesley »

I don't care what country you are from. A National Anthem represents everything good, every struggle, every overcome hardship, every victory of that country. Here in fat, lazy, stupid U S of A it has become an audition reel. A chance for some public performer to attempt to show off, to prove how cool they are, ignoring everything else about their country and their fellow Americans. The National Anthem of The United States Of America is an interesting piece of music. The range is some two full octaves or so, following an asymmetrical tempo. Singing it correctly, note-for-note, is a beautiful thing. Brings a tear to my eye. Some overpainted self-important bimbo trying to prove that she is not a has-been comes along and decides that the song that represents her country is not good enough for her, decides to add more notes, take some out, change some words (yeah, I know that was an accident, but if she weren't so self-absorbed she would have gotten it right) and it really pisses me off. Like, face-punching angry. For ONCE I would really like to see someone just sing the song, note for note, no embellishments, and make me and the rest of the country proud. Is that too much to ask?

If you look at the state of "popular" music you will see that it is indeed too much to ask. I hate being surrounded by idiots.
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
summer
Ancient Administrator

Re: Anthem

Post by summer »

so true... it's like each one tries to out do the other
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Hi there, Summer! :D ~

~ Donnie Yen ~
summer
Ancient Administrator

Post by summer »

Hi there Zot :)

what did you think of the game?
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I did not watch the game. I made sure to keep up on the score though. And quite frankly, I'm glad I didn't see it. I find this to be offensive imo.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

Zot, after reading your rant and agreeing, I passed my laptop over to my husband so he could read it as well. He gets pissed if someone displays the American flag and doesn't follow regulations to a T, so I thought he would agree with you as well.

GreatZot wrote: Here in fat, lazy, stupid U S of A
was all he could focus on. :roll: Completely missed the point. I can't believe my eyes didn't get stuck from rolling them so hard.
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Isn't she from Ecuador or something like that or am I just thinking of someone else entirely?

Edit - according to Wiki her Dad is from Ecuador and mum is of "German, Irish, Welsh, and Dutch ancestry" but yeah she is American

Any alleged professional singer should get their own damn national anthem right, even if they can't sing anything else. She wasn't much good on X Factor last year either actually (she was one of the Duets chosen by a finalist), and Rihanna who I never really rated much before was really good with Matt, seemed to have much less of a yeah thanks I turned up now pay me so I can leave attitude than Christina did :lol:
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

There was the fuss in December about her dancing being too 'suggestive', or something when she was advertising her album, 'Burlesque'. So, even though it's an important mistake, I feel kinda sorry for her.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

I don't.
I agree with Zot, every one should be able to sing their anthem.
If a person can't keep a tune is not so bad. Some people just don't have that musical feeling.
But not knowing the words to the national anthem is unforgivable.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

To be fair, everybody makes mistakes. And does she live in USA for enough time each year to need to know it? Cos I don't know it. I'm not even sure if I know the British one. :notme:
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex

Post by chex »

If she doesn't know it that well, she shouldn't be performing it at the superbowl.

But yes, she did know the words. She just smurf them up.
Lovesick Lou wrote:If a person can't keep a tune is not so bad. Some people just don't have that musical feeling.
Which is fine. Hell, I even enjoyed Roseanne's version better. She started too high, realized she wouldn't be able to hit the notes, and tried to make it funny to save it. She's a comedienne, not a singer. She wasn't able to save it musically. But when a singer uses the anthem to show off their ability to stretch a one syllable word into 7 syllables, they're making the song about themselves, and not the country. That's not what an anthem is for.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

:notme: I sure hope none of you are offended by people who don't know the national anthem in general, because I know like no more the first verse maybe.

Sorry guys, I gues I've never had the time to memorize it.

I'm also guessing the whole fat stupid US thing was an exaggeration.
chex

Post by chex »

If you've never learned it, you've never learned it. It's not something most people would go out of their way to learn on their own. But the difference is, you're not singing it at the superbowl.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

Oh.. OK then, that's a relief.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

You should learn it. Play it on the guitar. Try singing it. And on average, people in the United States of America are fatter and stupider than the vast majority of their counterparts in ANY OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. But that is a different rant.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Well if you start that one I`ll join you. The thing that England is most well know for now - particularly across Europe, is people who go on holiday to other countries, get waay to drunk and start fights, riots and vandalize stuff

In most other countries people manage to drink a lot and still be solicable and friendly rather than threatening and abusive. It's frickin embarassing..
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

GreatZot wrote:And on average, people in the United States of America are fatter and stupider than the vast majority of their counterparts in ANY OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.
When that may be true (I don't know, and I don't care to check), I think that you seem to be representing a country by the majority and the average, and not the whole country itself.
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Histrionics and hyperbole are fantastic storytelling tools. I am not an idiot; I am fully aware that there are some smart, cool, awesome people right here in the country I call home. But it is the fat, stupid, lazy, greedy ones who often have the loudest voice - and spend the most money - which makes it possible for someone like Christeena Aguleeria to go on the most televised event in the country and do what she did. The only good thing about the incident was to see the audience reaction to her screw-up. Yes, the same fat lazy idiots were shocked when she screwed up their National Anthem, and we got to see some of their faces on television as well.

~ Donnie Yen ~
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Post by Clovvach »

GreatZot wrote:there are some smart, cool, awesome people right here in the country I call home. But it is the fat, stupid, lazy, greedy ones who often have the loudest voice - and spend the most money
Oh yah, OMG totally agreed. :shock: