Recipes

Don't lie. You're singing the song now, aren't you?

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

Shay
recuerdame

Re: Recipes

Post by Shay »

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

This basic recipe for mashed potatoes NEEDS to be posted!
I got this recipe from Chex on the fly and they turned out just epically delicious.
I tweaked her recipe ever so slightly.

Ingredients:

• About 5 or 6 potatoes
• About 2 to 3 cloves garlic
• ¼ cup Parmesan
• ¼ cup salted butter
• 4 oz. cream cheese
• 1 Tbs. milk
• ¼ tsp. black pepper
• ¼ tsp. salt

Instructions:

1. Wash 5 to 6 potatoes and chop them into a pot. (I highly recommend keeping the skins on)
2. Chop up 2 to 3 cloves of garlic and add them to the pot.
3. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the potatoes and garlic.
4. Boil on medium-high heat until potatoes are soft and tender.
5. Strain away the water, trying not to lose any potatoes or garlic.
6. Mash together the potatoes, skins, and garlic.
7. Mix in ¼ cup Parmesan cheese. (I just used the Kraft kind that comes in the green plastic can)
8. Mix in 4 oz cream cheese, softened. (I used electric beaters for this)
9. Mix in 1 Tbs milk.
10. Mix in ¼ tsp black pepper and ¼ tsp salt.
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

Using the garlic that way was an idea from a parenting board friend.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Mmm they were so good! Kudos to your parenting board. :)
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Ok, I challenge each of you to post something here once a month! :D
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Okay, here is the recipe for cheap bottom bachelor lasagna:

1 jar favorite sauce
1 container small curd cottage cheese
1 egg
bunch of shredded cheese, to your liking
1 box lasagne noodles

mix the sauce and the cottage cheese and the egg in a big bowl
add a handful of shredded cheese
get your pan out and rub it with olive oil and a spoonful of the sauce
turn on your kitchen tap as hot as it will go, but very low pressure
run the noodles one at a time under the hot water
lay them in a single layer in the pan. Usually 4 noodles per layer
smear some sauce on the noodles, just enough to cover
run more noodles under the hot water and make another layer
keep going until you are within 1/2 inch or so form the top, or until you run low on sauce
put the last of the sauce on top and sprinkle a bunch of cheese all over it.
maybe a dash of oregano
cook at 350 for about 30 minutes with tinfoil loosely placed on top
take tinfoil off and switch to broil for the last few minutes
be careful, watch closely. Broil can get away from you
when it is nicely browned, turn off the heat and take it out
let it sit for a bit
cut, serve, eat, enjoy!
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Post by LaLou »

The recipe for the tomatoe sauce that I made today, to go with pasta. I have the base for this recipe from Jamie Oliver's Italy book. I never use any other tomatoe sauce ever again. I vary with herbs but the base is always the same. The secret to a good tomatoe sauce is to let it simmer for at least 1 1/2 but preferably 2 hours. It does make a difference.

2 or 3 onions
As much garlic as you like. I use Solo Clove Garlic. I can really recommend it if you can get it.
A can of roasted bell peppers (optianal)
A bottle of tomatoe passata (tomatoes, liquified, without any additives), or 2 small cans of tomatoes, or an amount of fresh skinned tomatoes.
A pinch of Chili powder (if you like)

Clean and dice the onions and sweat them off in some olive oil. Finely chop the garlic and add it. Let the onions and garlic sweat for ablout 15 minutes, until soft and tender. Don't let them brown.
Drain the bell peppers well, and put them in a blender. Put the blended peppers in with the onions and add the passata or tomatoes. At this stage add the chili. You can also add a bit of fresh thyme and fresh rosemary. Leave that to simmer for at least 1 hour. Better would be 1 1/2 or even 2 hours. Believe me, it DOES make a difference.
I also use this sauce for my famous lasagne.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

My cooking's all the same, or I just get a load of stuff, throw it in a pan and call it a meal. There are two recipes that I know I haven't shared, but they're my grandma's ones, which change each time she tells us them. They're really good though. Okay, today I had Ritz crackers for lunch, so I will share the recipe for party Ritz crackers:

You will need:
- Ritz crackers
- Stuff

Basically just get the Ritz crackers and add stuff to them - they serve out so well as nibbles. Tomato pizza sauce, cheese and a slice of tomato is one that they recommend on the box. I had them with strong cheddar and cucumber today. I've had them with tuna/salmon and cornichons... whatever goes really.

I'll post a proper recipe if I can find one.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

I have an easy recipe for a drink I like, Mango Lassi. You can buy it at the supermarket as well, but it's easy to make.
You need:

- ripe Mango
- one pound plain yoghurt (fat-free or not, as you prefer)
- some milk
- sugar

Peel the mango, cut it into big pieces and throw it into a blender and add the yoghurt. Mix until smooth. Now add some milk to make it more liquid and add as much sugar as you like. Serve chilled.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

When Sean and I move, I am having a free pampered chef party. I think I will get a blender if I can with my free stuff to choose from. I love mango. I must try this drink!
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Dude, I've gotta try these! The next drinking party I have (if ever, last one was my birthday), these and the cherry-limeade ones at the bottom will definitely be on the menu.

http://newlywedmcgees.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... shots.html
Wesley
GOD

Post by Wesley »

Those lemon drop jello shots are genius!
"Work hard, be humble and stay positive."

~ Donnie Yen ~
chex

Post by chex »

I just saved similar ones (multicolored, in an orange) in a folder I have going for ideas for CP's first birthday.
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

This is a drink recipe that I discovered on Monday, which is apparently a 'mocktail' (just a drink in my opinion). It's one part elderflower cordial, one part apple juice, and one part soda water, but it can be adjusted to individual tastes. Refreshing, especially in hot weather.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex

Post by chex »

The chicken enchiladas I made for Mouse.

Cook 3 chicken breasts in jalapeno salsa, then shred them. Add a bit more jalapeno salsa and a small scoop of sour cream. Grate some sharp cheddar cheese into the mixture.

Roll the mixture into tortillas (3 chicken breasts filled 6 tortillas when I made them tonight.)

Mix a giant scoop of sour cream and about 1/3 cup jalapeno salsa together, then spread it over the enchiladas. Shred more cheese over the top and bake it until the cheese is melty.
chex

Post by chex »

Green Bean Casserole- Froot Loop style!

Drain two cans of cut green beans* and set aside. Mix one can of cream of potato soup and about 1/4 cup of milk. Add the beans and stir until they're coated with the soup. Transfer to a baking dish (I use a pie pan) and top with fried onions. Bake until the onions are toasty, and the casserole is hot.

*I use one salted and one unsalted, to cut back on sodium a bit. I tried using two unsalted, and it was icky.

The original recipe calls for mushroom soup, instead of potato, but my mom hates mushrooms, so we found an alternative. I like the mushrooms, but prefer the potatoes. Actually, I found out a year or two ago that Campbell's invented the recipe to sell more cream of mushroom soup. :lol:
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

Thanks! :D
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

Santa Bread

Ingredients:
4 to 4-1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup Imperial Sugar® / Dixie Crystals® Granulated Sugar

2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter, cubed
2 eggs
2 raisins
2 egg yolks
2 to 3 drops red food coloring

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat in the eggs until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into two portions, one slightly larger than the other.

Shape the larger portion into an elongated triangle with rounded corners for Santa's head and hat.
chex

Post by chex »

That's really cool, Shay! I may have to try that this year.

I also need to try these...

Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots

Here is what you will need:

24 Strawberries (the bigger the better)
1 box of Strawberry Jell-o
1 cup water
1 cup chilled tequila
1/4 cup sugar or salt
2 or 3 Limes

Before you make the jell-o you’ll need to prep the strawberries so they are ready to be filled. Start by snipping off the bottom ends of the strawberries so they will have a flat base to stand up. Make sure to not cut off too much of the bottom end or you will have a hole and your jell-o will run out the bottom. Try slicing off very thin pieces and to make sure the strawberry can stand on it own without tipping over while still not cutting through and making a hole. Once the strawberries can stand on their own, use a pairing knife or a melon baller and carve out the middle flesh of the strawberry to make a nice cavity. This is where you will be pouring your Jell-o so make it a nice sized hole.

Now that your strawberries are prepped, you can start making the Jell-o mixture. Boil the cup of water and then whisk in the Jell-o mix. Once the Jell-o is all dissolved, pour in your tequila. Continue to stir it all together until you are satisfied it is properly mixed. The chilled tequila should cool down the mixture to the point you can pour the Jell-o into your strawberries. You can garnish with a thin lime wedge and let set overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, just roll the top edges of the strawberries in sugar or salt depending on your preference and serve.
chex

Post by chex »

I wanted to share a simple recipe for tomato soup. It's almost as easy as the condensed stuff, but a lot tastier.

First, I press two cloves of garlic, and saute it in a bit of olive oil. When it starts to get toasty, but before it browns, I dump in a can of crushed tomatoes. (a big can. 28 oz, I think) Then, I add half a container of Philadelphia cooking cream. When it's all mixed together, I finally whisk in some heavy cream until it's the texture I want. I don't blend it because I like some texture to my tomato soup, but you can put it into a blender to get it smoother.
Shay
recuerdame

Post by Shay »

I am definitely going to try those shots! The Santa bread totally made me think of you. If you decide to try it, you definitely gotta take pictures. :D